Over Training?

Options
I have been seeing a lot of people warning folks of "over training" I wanted to know what do you consider over training?

I have been doing about 60 minutes a day Cardio (Zumba or Walk/Jogging) and I am planning on increasing my time to 120-180 minutes 5/6 days a week. I also may be starting TapOut XT and will be including a daily walk along with it to make sure I reach my burn goal each day.

Is my plan to much? I am 29 have around 80 pounds to lose.

Replies

• Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    The school of thought is increase by 10%, do that for at least a week, then increase 10% more and so on. Signs of overtraining, feeling tired, not sleeping, no appetite, moody and achey. One or all of the symptoms can indicate it.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I have been seeing a lot of people warning folks of "over training" I wanted to know what do you consider over training?

I have been doing about 60 minutes a day Cardio (Zumba or Walk/Jogging) and I am planning on increasing my time to 120-180 minutes 5/6 days a week. I also may be starting TapOut XT and will be including a daily walk along with it to make sure I reach my burn goal each day.

That's overtraining, what's the rush why are you eating so little and working out so much?
  • blackgold86
    blackgold86 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Its great that you can get that much in!

I would definitely recommend having a day off at least once a week..

Have you considered weight training as opposed to extending your cardio?
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

I have been getting at least 30 minutes of exercise every day since last January with maybe 5 days off total.

That wasn't over training especially since I don't do the same kind of exercise 2 days in a row so I'm always resting what I worked on yesterday and maybe even the day before.

Last September I bought my first pair of proper running shoes and was so excited I ran 30 miles in 4 days. That was an increase of maybe 80% over normal (at that point) and it was definately a huge increase over my distances at that point. Gave myself Planar Faciatias because I did too much too soon. I am only now able to run more than once a week. Totally killed me, especially since the other forms of cardio are kinda boring.

So if you feel like you are making yourself sore or are doing to much you might be, listen to your body. You don't want to shelve yourself because you overdid it. If you can mix things up from day to day you might not need rest days. When I start my 1/2 marathon training I'll be taking bonafide rest days twice a week and running the other 5 but I've also worked my way up to being able to do this.
  • sowenby1984
    sowenby1984 Posts: 101 Member
    Options

I have thought about it, but I have to do all my workouts at home I have a 4 year old and no time/money for a gym and have no clue where to start with weight training
  • blackgold86
    blackgold86 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of "Body weight activities" you can do at home :)

If you search the forums and google, you should be able to find what you are looking for.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    The Search function on this site is pathetic.. with that being said, think about how your body feels. I workout atleast 6 days a week for atleast 30-60 and I feel fine.

Personally, I don't like your plan, it wouldn't work for me because I'm different. I don't like spending more than an hour at the gym and I have busy kids/busy life at home so I usually spend no more than 30 mins at home working out. I don't like wasting my time.

Look into Fitness Blender, 30DS.. I've done both with my own body weight then eventually got 4lb dumbbells, 7lbs.. Fitness Blender has A LOT of videos for different fitness levels/equipment lack of equipment, etc, and its all FREE.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    IMO you would get better results with three day a week full body routine mixed in with two days a week cardio and two rest days...

six days a week of cardio sounds like over kill to me...but I really do not do too much cardio...

strong lifts for woman seems to be a popular beginner training regimen for woman on here...

If you do decide to strength train build a program around bench press, deadlift, squats, over head press, pull up, chin ups..etc...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It is not over training as such, but that amount of cardio becomes counter productive if you are only doing it for the calorie burn. You should be including exercises that have a better metabolic impact if you want to increase your TDEE.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I have thought about it, but I have to do all my workouts at home I have a 4 year old and no time/money for a gym and have no clue where to start with weight training

Get the book or download the app "You are your own gym"
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    IMO you would get better results with three day a week full body routine mixed in with two days a week cardio and two rest days...

six days a week of cardio sounds like over kill to me...but I really do not do too much cardio...

strong lifts for woman seems to be a popular beginner training regimen for woman on here...

If you do decide to strength train build a program around bench press, deadlift, squats, over head press, pull up, chin ups..etc...

I was going to rec Stronglifts but I think OP mentioned she doesn't have access to a gym.. unless you know a way to do some of those SL moves at home without a squat rack, I would love to know. I can only do SL 5x5 when I go to the gym
  • ndj1979
    Options

I was going to rec Stronglifts but I think OP mentioned she doesn't have access to a gym.. unless you know a way to do some of those SL moves at home without a squat rack, I would love to know. I can only do SL 5x5 when I go to the gym

you would more than likely have to have access to squat rack and gym....unless OP, you have room for an exercise room in your house?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You're doing primarily cardio so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I would, however, like to ask why you plan on doing 3 hours of cardio per day. Especially when the MFP tools have you eating back all of those calories, that doesn't seem like an effective use of your time. May I ask what your goals are?
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    Thanks ndj for the info.. I haven't heard any other way of modifying or completing SL in lieu of gym access :)
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Over-training is when your performance declines despite maintaining your training intensity. It's a clear sign that total rest is needed. I would say take a few days zero activity, then you can test the waters.

I read about a severely over-trained triathlete who required 2 full weeks of rest before resuming workouts. BTW - Upon his retirement he said he was never the same athlete after putting his body in such a bad situation.

Know your limits. Listen to your body.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Thanks ndj for the info.. I haven't heard any other way of modifying or completing SL in lieu of gym access :)

dixie whiskey is that moonshine???? LOL
  • Hakarn
    Hakarn Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Over-training is when your performance declines despite maintaining your training intensity. It's a clear sign that total rest is needed. I would say take a few days zero activity, then you can test the waters.

I read about a severely over-trained triathlete who required 2 full weeks of rest before resuming workouts. BTW - Upon his retirement he said he was never the same athlete after putting his body in such a bad situation.

Know your limits. Listen to your body.

Yeah I agree with this. Depending on the amount of strain put on the muscles, they can take up to 2 weeks to fully repair (talking about normal training, not injuries). I usually go hard for 4-6 weeks of 4-5 days a week of single body parts (and 6 days rest inbetween) and then HAVE to take a full week off. My body just refuses to do any training during that week. :)

I say try if it you can handle it, but pay attention to how your body reacts.
  • sowenby1984
    sowenby1984 Posts: 101 Member
    Options

I would, however, like to ask why you plan on doing 3 hours of cardio per day. Especially when the MFP tools have you eating back all of those calories, that doesn't seem like an effective use of your time. May I ask what your goals are?

I do not eat back all my calories I try to stay around 1500-1600, but that is with working out for an hour /hour and a half hours, I also use a Bodymedia fit system to track my calorie burn.

My goal is to lose weight :happy: be healthy, and hopefully run a 5k before the year is over.

Like I said I do not have access to a gym. If I start doing the TapOut XT I will not be working out for three hours, at that point it will be maybe two hours max depending on how long the workout is that day and what kind of burn I get from it.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

dixie whiskey is that moonshine???? LOL

:love: :love:

Only person here to ever ask me about my username. It's a song!
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

I do not eat back all my calories I try to stay around 1500-1600, but that is with working out for an hour /hour and a half hours, I also use a Bodymedia fit system to track my calorie burn.

My goal is to lose weight :happy: be healthy, and hopefully run a 5k before the year is over.

Like I said I do not have access to a gym. If I start doing the TapOut XT I will not be working out for three hours, at that point it will be maybe two hours max depending on how long the workout is that day and what kind of burn I get from it.

Why do you want to lose weight though?