Ideas for Comfort

Options
Looking for ideas instead of using comfort food when stressed out. Please let me know. Thanks

Replies

• Oreobbenb
    Oreobbenb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion:

An herbal bath, like lavendar

Herbal/flavored tea

A leisurely walk around your neighborhood

And lastly, a damit doll you can take your frustrations out on
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Sucks that none of those things appeal to me. Maybe a ****load of sugar free gum would help? Hmmm
  • cchamil1985
    cchamil1985 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    What is your motivation for using food for comfort?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    mani/pedi or massage (look for good Groupon Now deals, you can always find something cheap).

I buy something small for myself, a new kindle book, a new pair of running socks etc. Sometimes I'll make a cup of tea browse online for super cheap fitness stuff. Even if I don't buy anything, it calms me down and gets me thinking about something positive.
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    How about meditation?
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    I eat comfort food when im stressed about money okay. It makes me feel good while Im eating it. I don't know why it just does.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I run.

It's comforting, takes my mind of things, and gets me out of my head. Or it gives me quiet time to work things out.
  • TooLeftFeet
    TooLeftFeet Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If you're a coffee drinker, try a cup of fresh coffee at home. (Assuming its not a latte or anything), it warm and comforting time.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Yes! Coffe I like that one! Black with splenda! As for running, I can't anytime I please cuz I got a baby to look after. Dad is barely ever home.
  • gemkat13
    gemkat13 Posts: 60
    Options
    Arts or crafts or projects. Keep your hands busy and your mind preoccupied. Don't watch tv but instead do a sudoku or crossword puzzle.
  • xxstormynightsxx
    Options
    I find chocolate milk with whipped cream to be good for this. Not the healthiest thing, but certainly not bad for you, in my opinion. Very tasty, very filling, and comforting as well. Hope things get better, best of luck!!
  • cchamil1985
    cchamil1985 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Emotion is a powerful force. The way you define yourself becomes who you are. Right now you say that you medicate emotion with food, you define yourself as someone who eats to deal with emotions, if you want to change that then you need to redefine who you are as a person. You must become someone who doesn't eat to feel better. If you don't want to be ruled by outside influences then you need to rise above the need to self-medicate.
  • chanahliora
    Options
    There have been some good suggestions here. I like to have a cup of tea and soak in a hot bubble bath. I will also pick up and cuddle my cat Isabella. She loves to be cuddled and insists on it at least once a day. She purrs loudly as I pat her belly. My son informed me that when cats purr it actually promotes healing in themselves and the person who is holding them. He came across some research studies somewhere on it the topic.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Too bad I hate cats!!! Well I like kittens but I sure as hell can't live with them - tried that and wanted to kill it!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Stash Chocolate Hazelnut tea. I make a big cup and sweeten it up with Splenda and a splash of Silk creamer if I'm feeling particularly adventurous. So delicious!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    strangely, I cook. I don't feel hungry when I cook a lot. I make the excuse that we need freezer meals or supper for the week, and i go to town lol My fiance and my son taste test for me. Happens to me at Christmas too, I cook the huge turkey dinner and then I'm not hungry at supper time.
  • samhelen
    samhelen Posts: 98
    Options
    Put the baby in a snuggly and turn on some music and dance around the house... I have a 3 month old and she's just about the most comforting thing on the planet -- so much happiness just because you picked them up and gave em a hug.
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Do something that makes you happy and engages/distracts your mind -- aside, of course, from the obvious: Eating.

- opt for tea, a book, and a comfy fleece throw
    - watch television, avoiding the temptation to pop a bowl of popcorn (make a veggie plate instead)
    - do the above, while running in place (I speak from experience; I'm a housebound mother myself)
    - view a film in theatre, taking along only enough money to fund your ticket and not concession stand fare
    - take a walk, with music or an audiobook for company; in cold climates, walk the mall
    - shop, even if it's just browsing a thrift store
    - surf the Internet (as a SAHM, I depend primarily on Facebook groups as my social outlet)
    - nap
    - dial a friend
    - organize
    - sew, scrapbook, or other crafty ventures I personally know nothing about ;)
    - find a sitter and take a You Day (or Afternoon), making some of the above options more realistic for you
    - do something kind for someone else, getting your mind off yourself
    - [your interest here]
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Another vote for meditation. But, seriously, I really do think I need one of those dammit dolls.
  • ruggedBear
    ruggedBear Posts: 295
    Options
    Hug something (I hug my dog - Bernese Mountain Dogs love hugs - I lay down on the floor and spoon with him).
    Get in the bathtub with the baby.
    Watch Duck Dynasty (always gets my mind off work when I'm stressed about that)