College Food Tips

Options
So I am going away to college in the fall. I'm staying in a dorm, and was wondering if anyone has some ideas on how to keep my weight loss going.
I will have a small mini fridge and a microwave in my room, but that's it. I will have the food plan so I will eat my meals there, and snack in my room.
I'm scared I will gain the freshman 15, and I really don't want to since I have been doing well losing!
Does anyone have tips? Or creative ideas/lists of foods to make & eat in a dorm?
I love to cook, so it will be hard for me :(

Replies

• julialla
    julialla Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I gained the freshman 15...because I'm one of those people that when it comes to an all you can eat buffet, I want to get my "money's" worth. So I'm trying to lose this weight now that I am a sophomore, plus a few more! Just watch what you eat by tracking with MFP. I didn't have this app last year, so I wasn't really aware of the food I was eating. I think that just being conscience of the food that you are putting in your mouth is the most important motivater...I am now trying to have a salad for lunch and dinner before I have my main meal. Plus, stay away from the dessert and pizza stations, they're purely addicting! You'll be fine...being aware means you are a step ahead of me. Good Luck!
  • greeneyes0809
    greeneyes0809 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I am a freshman right now living in the dorms and while it is difficult to eat healthy it is possible!

I always like to eat breakfast in my rooms and with a microwave I make plain oatmeal or even eggs. I like to steal fruit from the dining hall as well and add that to my breakfast. Popcorn and dry cereal are also some good options! My staples in the dining hall are beans, cottage cheese and veggies. I also have made peanut butter a main food group!

Also just make sure that you remember that if one night you have pizza and french fries, it's not the end of the world. Sometimes there really is no options and one meal or dessert won't completely derail you, it's just important to not make it nightly! Good luck and feel free to add me if you would like!
  • summergirl212
    summergirl212 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think the biggest contributor to the freshman 15 is alcohol. While I'm sure that many people gain it without drinking, most of the people who I know who gained a substantial and noticeable amount of weight in college were the people who drank quite a bit.

Regardless, if you use this app to track your food and be conscious of what you are eating you will be fine. Usually dining halls have great salad bars and I always brought my own fat free dressing because I thought the stuff there tasted funny. Opt for grilled chicken when you can and remember that everything is okay in moderation. Try to skip the post class trip through the dining hall for a cookie or muffin, those were a killer for me.

Also, college usually have fees for the gym included in your tuition so you might as well go and get your money's worth. Also look into taking PE classes, then you are forced to work out two or three hours a week. :]
  • jackieomara
    jackieomara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    go to the dining halls with salad bars and made to order food like grilled chicken and fish! just watch your portions. use the gym. count your calories as best as you can. :)
  • jsherrill92
    jsherrill92 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    You can steam veggies pretty quickly in a microwave just by adding water in a plastic bowl and putting a lid on top.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I keep different types of granola bars and special k chips in my car, thus eliminates hunger for a little while im driving around!
    Seriously in the passenger side floor i have a bucket with healthy food in it! no joke! it's purple!