5'9 Men

Options
squall88c
squall88c Posts: 69 Member
I'm a medium-built 5'9 at 173lbs. (coming from 198lbs).
On a scale of 1-5, with 5 being the body builder type, I would rate myself as 2.5.
Most of my excess fat are stored in the lats, belly & love handles.
My goal is to get lean or get to 150lbs. (whichever comes first).

I'm wondering about the weight & body composition of men with the same height as me.

Anyone willing to share?
Photos will be great if its available.

Many, many thanks.

Replies

• 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I am not a man, but I am very excited to see this thread. That is all.
  • squall88c
    Options
    Here's a related post I read from the "Short 5 feet ladies... what is your goal weight?" topic.

I am not a woman, and I am not 5'0" (I'm 5'9") but I figured my experience may help you decide. When I started loosing weight I originally wanted to get to 185 or so. I had weighed that much in high school when I was in really good shape and I figured any less than that and I would look sickly. When I hit 185 I was not happy. So I adjusted down to 175. When I got there, I looked better, but still not what I wanted so I dropped my GW to 165. I am now at 163.5 and I am getting very close to how I want to look. What's the point of this?

First, BMI is meaningless. It was not meant to be used on a specific person. Even at my weight now I am on the very high end of what is considered healthy for my height.

Second, weight is also largely irrelevant. What you are really looking for is the body fat % for how you want to look. In my case, I want to be highly defined with killer abs. At my age, that means I need to be around 11% BF. I don't care of I weigh 160 or 175 as long as my BF% is at a level that I have good muscle definition.

Tracking your weight is certainly a good measure of progress, but don't set your goals based on your weight. There is nothing worse than hitting your GW and realizing that your body composition is all wrong and you don't look like you want to. Figure out how you want your body to look and make that your goal based on BF%. Gaining muscle is a good thing, but it wreaks havoc on the scale.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Hahahahaha...wut?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I may be your height and weight but I'm going to need some sort of proof that this isn't a troll thread. Can you prove that this is really happening?
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I am just under 5'8 with a naturally small frame and presently sit at 166 lbs (10% body fat). Before injuries and a bout with depression, I held onto 30 or so more pounds of lean body mass. Personally, I can't see myself dropping even more lean body mass to make 150 since I would perceive myself as being too thin even when considering my diminutive build. This is what I looked like during my previous cut at 154.5 lbs and 8% body fat.

1yzC5x1.png
  • squall88c
    Options
    I'm not sure if 150lbs is good for me.
    I weighed that much in my teen years but had no muscle definition.

I remember even at 150 I had love handles (not as big though).
    My family is wide at the hips.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I am just under 5'8 with a naturally small frame and presently sit at 166 lbs (10% body fat). Before injuries and a bout with depression, I held onto 30 or so more pounds of lean body mass. Personally, I can't see myself dropping even more lean body mass to make 150 since I would perceive myself as being too thin even when considering my diminutive build. This is what I looked like during my previous cut at 154.5 lbs and 8% body fat.

1yzC5x1.png

Oh. Hai.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Don't get too caught up on what the scale says. The mirror will tell the real tale. Also you can track your progress by measuring your volume index (V/I) VI=shoulder circumference (measured around the widest part of your shoulders) + Chest + Arms + Leg/waist.
  • squall88c
    Options
    Don't get too caught up on what the scale says. The mirror will tell the real tale. Also you can track your progress by measuring your volume index (V/I) VI=shoulder circumference (measured around the widest part of your shoulders) + Chest + Arms + Leg/waist.

Noted.
    That's one thing I have to get rid of asap.
    I weigh myself weekly and from 198lbs to 175lbs I've always seen quick results from the scale.
    Now is .5 to 1lb down every week.
    But the pants are getting looser.

BTW, I'm 37.5 inches on the waist.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Shoot for a 31-32" waist.
  • 1tiamat
    1tiamat Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9 and when I was at my ideal weight and fitness level I weights just under 170. Of course since then I gained a lot of weight. I'm currently at 208 and working towards getting back down to 170 then building muscle. The main problem areas are usually belly and love handle areas.

I am not as concerned about the scale as I am about being in a healthy condition that will help me avoid having the medical problems that are in my family (Diabetes and Heart problems in my family)

Best of luck to you guys!
  • squall88c
    Options
    Shoot for a 31-32" waist.

Will do.
    I'd be happy with a 34.
  • squall88c
    Options
    I am 5'9 and when I was at my ideal weight and fitness level I weights just under 170. Of course since then I gained a lot of weight. I'm currently at 208 and working towards getting back down to 170 then building muscle. The main problem areas are usually belly and love handle areas.

I am not as concerned about the scale as I am about being in a healthy condition that will help me avoid having the medical problems that are in my family (Diabetes and Heart problems in my family)

Best of luck to you guys!

Hope you hit your goal soon!
  • ay1978pa
    ay1978pa Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am 35 y.o., 5'9 and used to be 182 lbs, 34 waist, and I am guessing around 20% BFP with the skinny fat body type. I am now down to 155, 30 waist and 12 - 13% BFP..

I had my goal at 150 but once I hit 154 lbs I decided I was way too skinny. So I upped my calories and started lifting. My weight went up just a couple of pounds but I believe I dropped some fat still. I don't have a scale or BFP goal as such, my goal is to stay around 160 and look better than I do now.

Before(ish) at 172:
    DSCF0371_zps245e3d68.jpg

At my lowest (154 lbs):
    DSCF1114-Copy_zpsead57021.jpg

Now at 157:
    261F90B6-647E-4930-8467-9BC7E8D44F64-3918-00000467F1DFBF4C_zpsa8a9c8f4.jpg
    F9277C64-5EBD-4E02-A9CE-A43FD86A1CF1-2620-0000029B09AFB993_zps5c9d7970.jpg
  • Davytah1983
    Davytah1983 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'9 and currently 256lbs... i started at 275lbs... currently have 31% body fat.... most of my excess fat seems to be stored on my stomach and chest..... ive seem my chest reduce the most with the weight that i lost so far... hopefully the stomach will start to catch up soon.
  • squall88c
    Options
    Hi,

I am 35 y.o., 5'9 and used to be 182 lbs, 34 waist, and I am guessing around 20% BFP with the skinny fat body type. I am now down to 155, 30 waist and 12 - 13% BFP..

I had my goal at 150 but once I hit 154 lbs I decided I was way too skinny. So I upped my calories and started lifting. My weight went up just a couple of pounds but I believe I dropped some fat still. I don't have a scale or BFP goal as such, my goal is to stay around 160 and look better than I do now.

Now at 157:
    261F90B6-647E-4930-8467-9BC7E8D44F64-3918-00000467F1DFBF4C_zpsa8a9c8f4.jpg
    F9277C64-5EBD-4E02-A9CE-A43FD86A1CF1-2620-0000029B09AFB993_zps5c9d7970.jpg

Thanks.

I've yet to see my waist size & body composition at 160lbs.
    But you've definitely done a good job.
  • squall88c
    Options
    Bump.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I am 176cm (basically 5'9) and 62kg (136.7 pounds)

As a long distance runner I want to become as strong as possible without gaining a lot of weight. I am a lot more concerned with maintaining low fat levels than I am about my weight. After my first marathon this fall, I intend to focus on triathlon training.

Right now I am doing Stronglifts 5x5 twice a week, with CrossFit and weighted pull up/chin up related work on other days in addition to my running. I average one rest day per week.

All of my running and lifting stats are listed in my profile.
    I'm a medium-built 5'9 at 173lbs. (coming from 198lbs).
    On a scale of 1-5, with 5 being the body builder type, I would rate myself as 2.5.
    Most of my excess fat are stored in the lats, belly & love handles.
    My goal is to get lean or get to 150lbs. (whichever comes first).

I'm wondering about the weight & body composition of men with the same height as me.

Anyone willing to share?
    Photos will be great if its available.

Many, many thanks.
  • MystyMan
    MystyMan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am about 5'10" and have historically had a slight build. I've lost 18 pounds in the last few months and am at 160 in the photo below. I run 3-5 times per week and lift twice a week. I feel like I'm about ready to increase my calorie intake to my TDEE and start showing more muscle. I expect I'll be somewhere in the 160's with my current exercise regimen.

83f2758a-13fd-42fe-b660-547bf62fb6be_zps032da06f.jpg
  • squall88c
    Options
    Just to update everyone...

I'm now down to 163lbs but still have belly fat & love handles (although it is visibly getting smaller).
    And from what I'm seeing, looks like 145-150lbs is an attainable target.

I do body weight exercises 4x a week & don't take protein powder supplements.
    I hope I'm doing enough to keep my muscle mass.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!