Please help! Perfect hardboiled eggs??

Options
Annie120484
Annie120484 Posts: 44 Member
Oh man, I fail every time. I always undercook! Any help? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    Oh man, I fail every time. I always undercook! Any help? Thanks in advance.

Google how long it takes to boil and egg and time it.
  • treenuh_x
    treenuh_x Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Put your eggs in a pot of water. Bring it to a boil. Let boil for 3-5 minutes. Turn the burner off. Let the eggs sit in the hot water for 10 minutes.

That's how I do mine, and they turn out great every time.
  • Annie120484
    Annie120484 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Put your eggs in a pot of water. Bring it to a boil. Let boil for 3-5 minutes. Turn the burner off. Let the eggs sit in the hot water for 10 minutes.

Thank you! I think that's what I was doing wrong- when they started boiling I would take them off the heat.
  • chasterson
    Options
    Start eggs off in cold water and a teaspoon of salt on the stove. Bring to a full boil and shut the heat off but leave the pot on the hot burner. If the eggs are room temp leave for 10 minutes if they are straight from the refridge leave them for 13 minutes. After the time is up plop them into ice water until completely cooled.
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    Options

That's exactly what I do too! Plus I add a little baking soda to help with peeling.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I put the eggs in pot of water. Wait for it to start boiling then time it for 10 mins with it boiling the whole time. Turns out great for me.
  • kbam17
    kbam17 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have failed at hard boiled eggs every dang time until just this weekend when I tried mixing together a few of the "tips" I'd gathered to make this recipe:

1.) Put eggs in a single layer on the bottom of a pan.
    2.) Cover eggs in enough cold water to submerge them entirely.
    3.) Add a few tablespoons vinegar and a good dash of salt.
    4.) Bring to a rolling boil.
    5.) Cover and turn off heat.
    6.) Let sit until water is cool enough to put your hand in without hurting (a minimum of half an hour).
    7.) Rinse and peel in cool, running water.

For the first time EVER, I got perfectly peeled eggs with no green yolk. No matter what method you use, I wish you luck in your battle against the eggs!!
  • futureshopaholic
    futureshopaholic Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Eggs takes a lot of practice to get it perfect! So don't get worried if it doesn't come out perfect the first time. I finally have mastered making scrambled and hard boiled eggs. Now I must learn how to make omlette's. You'd think for such a simple dish it would be easy but nupe! Haha good luck mastering eggs!
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    you could always cheat and buy them :) Eggland's Best sells them in a bag already peeled and everything.. super yummy!
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    When they start to float to the top of the pan then they are done. When you first start them they will kinda sit at the bottom of the pan but when they get more done they start slightly to float up. Usually its about 10 minutes. Then if you let them sit in cold water after they are done for a few minutes its alot easier when you go to peel them too.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I always found that I have to start with cold water, put eggs in, then heat...heating the water without the eggs is what makes them icky...
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I use my hot pot/tea kettle. I turn it on. The water boils and turns off automatically. I let them sit for 10-15 mins. Perfect almost all the time.

I've seen recently that you can bake them in the oven for 30 minutes at 350. I have not tried them this way because my tea kettle is easier and quicker.
  • perfectionisntme
    perfectionisntme Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Bake them in the oven @ 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes (I baking mine for 30 minutes). The egg has more flavor, the yoke isn't dry, and it's easier to peel.
  • meglet175
    meglet175 Posts: 98
    Options
    Another tip I've learned from cooking shows is that very fresh eggs can be very hard to peel. So, buy the eggs, let them sit in the fridge for 4 or 5 days, then boil them. I use the bring to boil, cover and remove from heat, let sit for 12 minutes, then rinse in cold water method to cook mine.
  • mamaking2012
    mamaking2012 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    my husband and I found a new way to do them...preheat your oven to 325....and bake your eggs for 30 mins. then submerge them in cold water...they actually peel easier too...I do a dozen eggs like this every week and its so easy just a little longer than stove top.
  • fuzzymop55
    fuzzymop55 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've cover them with enough water and add a little salt. Then once reached a decent boil, I set a timer for 2 minutes. After two minutes I cover them and take off heat and set a timer for 10. then into the sink they go with the pot and keep filling/emptying cold water till the water stays relatively cool. give them a good sit in that cold bath and enjoy! they should peel all in one go at that point
  • alopez2011
    Options
    boiling pot of water, add egs , boil for 11-12 minutes, perfect!
  • kaytee008
    Options
    This might sound a little strange.. but I bake my eggs in the oven, in a muffin pan, and they come out perfect every time! Here are some basic instructions but you could also google it for more details.. they're on a lot of websites.

Place the eggs in a muffin tin. Set the oven to 325F, and bake for 30 minutes. When the eggs are done, fill a large bowl with ice water and move the eggs into the bowl. Peel the eggs as soon as they're cool enough to handle, under cold running water, then return them to the ice water to thoroughly chill.

Hope this helps!
  • kaytee008
    Options
    mamaking2012 - you beat me to it! :)
  • George1567
    George1567 Posts: 107
    Options
    Bake them in the oven @ 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes (I baking mine for 30 minutes). The egg has more flavor, the yoke isn't dry, and it's easier to peel.

^^^^^^THIS!!!