My trick for eating at a restaurant

Options
I work as a server part time at a local kelseys... so I'm always being tempted with restaurant food. On top of that my boyfriend always wants to go out for dinner, which I love... don't have to cook and the food usually tastes better... but restaurant food is usually so high in calories.
Anyways... I found this trick that works for me:

If I want to order something that I know has too many calories, for example, shrimp marinara linguini (700 calories not including the garlic bread or starter soup/salad) I ask the server to bring me out a take out container right away. Before I even take a bite of my meal, I pack up half of it and put it away. I know no matter how much is in front of me I'm going to eat it.. and half of it not only fills me up but also cuts the calories in half. Plus I have some dinner to warm up for another night. And i feel so proud of myself for showing such strong self control, haha.

Small tip, but it makes me happy! And hope it helps someone else.
:wink:

Replies

• yesIcan
    yesIcan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I work as a server part time at a local kelseys... so I'm always being tempted with restaurant food. On top of that my boyfriend always wants to go out for dinner, which I love... don't have to cook and the food usually tastes better... but restaurant food is usually so high in calories.
    Anyways... I found this trick that works for me:

If I want to order something that I know has too many calories, for example, shrimp marinara linguini (700 calories not including the garlic bread or starter soup/salad) I ask the server to bring me out a take out container right away. Before I even take a bite of my meal, I pack up half of it and put it away. I know no matter how much is in front of me I'm going to eat it.. and half of it not only fills me up but also cuts the calories in half. Plus I have some dinner to warm up for another night. And i feel so proud of myself for showing such strong self control, haha.

Small tip, but it makes me happy! And hope it helps someone else.
    :wink:
  • heatther
    heatther Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    That is an awesome idea. I always get a salad and sneek bites of what my honey is haviing!!

Thanks for the idea!
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing with this mexican place I love so much!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    That is great. Most rest portions are 3 portions.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a salad first and at least a whole 16 oz glass of water, then I eat less then half my meal..

Then the next day, left overs at work.
  • nicole0177
    nicole0177 Posts: 377
    Options
    :thats a good idea i usually do the same thing but i just dont eat my whole plate usually i get to full.

the other nite i went to olive garden and i got stuffed chicken marsala 925 cals:brokenheart: :cry: REDICULOUS!!! i didnt eat all of it but i got bc it was b-day and was splurging
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Wonderful idea!!:flowerforyou:
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    GREAT IDEA!!!! AND SO SIMPLE!!!! AWESOME!!!

Thanks so much for the tip!!! :flowerforyou:
  • pecksun8
    pecksun8 Posts: 570
    Options
    Yes, I agree, great tip!

fam21.gif
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I also use this trick as well!! Even my kids know that they can only eat half of whatever is on their plate when we go out to eat - we ask for a bunch of boxes up front (some times we get weird looks - oh well!)
  • runnerwithstyle
    runnerwithstyle Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Good Idea! And it helps save money. Two meals for the price of one