How do I eat all my calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• AncientLullaby_
    Options
    nuts!! high protien, veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy low sodium and sugar yet high calories...I recommend almonds!
  • vivian1616
    vivian1616 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    What ratio are you using?

If you are asking me, I am just going by what MFP calculated for me when I set my initial stats and goals. My daily food calculator tells me that I am aiming for 1520 calories a day, 209 carbs, 51 fat and 57 protein. Yesterday I was 355 low on calories, 54 low on carbs and 20 low on protein. The day before that I was 387 low on calories, 53 low on carbs and 23 low on protein. I have been pretty on target for my fat goals, so I don't want to start eating foods that are going to put me over in that area.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Don't pay attention to MFP's sugar intake, as it's really jacked up.

Generally, it's recommended you consume no more than 40g of ADDED sugar a day. This does not include naturally occurring sugars in fruit, dairy, vegetables, etc.

As long as most of your sugar is coming from natural sources, don't sweat it.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Sugar doesn't matter, please follow below 8 step program to fulfill your calorie needs.

Step 1) go to freezer section
    Step 2) select your favourite Ben and jerrys
    Step 3) go to breakfast section
    Step 4) buy pop tarts
    Step 5) pay
    Step 6) take home
    Step 7) make a sandwich with aforementioned ingredients
    Step 8) consume

My hero :-)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    don't worry about MFP's sugar macro..you could eat a grape and go straight into the red. it makes a mockery out of eating fruit ( which, of course contain sugar)
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I find I exceed the recommended sugar but like others, most of it comes from fruit and even vegetables (I really like to munch on carrots instead of a candy bar or bag of chips for a snack).
  • imryanblank2
    Options
    I don't really have a problem with a 'high sugar' diet, other then they TEND to be low in fiber.
    I don't really care what your sugar intake is (within reason), but make sure you are getting enough fiber. My goal per day for fiber is 40-60 grams
  • ladyj_sa
    ladyj_sa Posts: 28
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses... They have been extremely helpful!
  • ladyj_sa
    Options
    Glad you posted this. I was just about to ask the same thing. Glad to hear it doesn't matter unless for medical reasons. I always seem to be under my calorie intake just fine but sodium and sugar were a problem. So this morning I decided to map out my day to get it under control. Sodium is in check but still having a problem with sugar and only had half of my calorie counted for. But I'm going to add some nuts to bump it up.

Funny enough my sodium is way under... Natural sugar from fruit seems to be the problem
  • ladyj_sa
    Options
    Just switch off sugar tracking in your diary settings.

Job done.

Didn't know you could do that... thanks!
  • ladyj_sa
    Options
    I am having a similar problem and was about to post a new topic about it until I just found this thread. My issue is that I am under my calorie goal every day, and I keep getting the message warning me that my body could go into starvation mode. Until I started tracking my daily intakes, I never realized that I was undereating. I am trying very hard to remedy this, but even when I eat more than I feel like I need (or want) I am STILL under my calorie goals.

I have stopped tracking my sugars, I am not concerned about them because they are mostly from fresh fruit and low fat yogurt. What I AM concerned about is my fat intake. I want to up my calories, up my protein, but still stay within my fat limits. All the high calorie foods that I have seen suggested here (peanut butter, nuts, avocados) are very high in fat. If I turn to those to up my calories, I am going to blow my fat goals (my suggested levels from MFP) for the day. Any suggestions?

I can imagine that eating too much fat is going to be my next problem...
  • ladyj_sa
    Options
    Don't pay attention to MFP's sugar intake, as it's really jacked up.

Generally, it's recommended you consume no more than 40g of ADDED sugar a day. This does not include naturally occurring sugars in fruit, dairy, vegetables, etc.

As long as most of your sugar is coming from natural sources, don't sweat it.

Like this theory... thanks!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    one bite at at time
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    healthy fats!!!

eat your nuts, eat your seeds and eat that avocado!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • hannydee
    hannydee Posts: 246
    Options
    Calories in Vs Calories out. I'd say if seeing yourself go over on sugar (even if it's natural/healthy stuff like fruit and veg taking you over) then you need to hide that macro from your diary. I've done something similar and all my diary displays is calories and protein.. You needn't care about sugar unless, like someone else said, you're diabetic; it's more important that you don't undereat.
  • lanakills
    lanakills Posts: 12
    Options
    Do not be crazy about it. Make healthy choices and most of all eat when you are hungry. If you don't eat all your calories because you're not hungry is ok.
    If you force yourself to eat them all, even if it's healty food can be bad. Too much of everything is bad...
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    Solution: Unless you're a diabetic, don't worry about your sugar intake.

It is harmless and does not lead to weight gain, it is also already included in carbs.

^^^
    Agree. I don't worry about sugar. I worry about Protein and hitting calorie goal.
  • vivian1616
    Options
    I am having a similar problem and was about to post a new topic about it until I just found this thread. My issue is that I am under my calorie goal every day, and I keep getting the message warning me that my body could go into starvation mode. Until I started tracking my daily intakes, I never realized that I was undereating. I am trying very hard to remedy this, but even when I eat more than I feel like I need (or want) I am STILL under my calorie goals.

I have stopped tracking my sugars, I am not concerned about them because they are mostly from fresh fruit and low fat yogurt. What I AM concerned about is my fat intake. I want to up my calories, up my protein, but still stay within my fat limits. All the high calorie foods that I have seen suggested here (peanut butter, nuts, avocados) are very high in fat. If I turn to those to up my calories, I am going to blow my fat goals (my suggested levels from MFP) for the day. Any suggestions?

The dumbest thing I have ever read.

This whole thread makes me sick. You have something coming to you if you think any sugar/carbs are healthy for you in any way whatsoever.

Refer to my Keto diet: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/854790-keto-diet-goal-weight-reached-275-178

My blood work after 10 months of eating low-carb HIGH HIGH FAT diet.: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/924557-blood-test-results-after-10-months-of-keto-success

My MFP ratios are such as this:

65% fat
    30% protein
    5% carbs

1500 caloric daily limit

Thank you very much for your constructive comments and your polite, understanding delivery. It's interesting that you chose to address my concern this way, considering that almost every other person I have seen post about sugars being too high has been told to stop tracking their sugars and not worry about them. I am following the advice that I have seen given to dozens of others about their sugar intake, not only in this thread, but several others.
  • Akraz
    Akraz Posts: 41 Member
    Options

This whole thread makes me sick. You have something coming to you if you think any sugar/carbs are healthy for you in any way whatsoever.

Refer to my Keto diet: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/854790-keto-diet-goal-weight-reached-275-178

My blood work after 10 months of eating low-carb HIGH HIGH FAT diet.: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/924557-blood-test-results-after-10-months-of-keto-success

65% fat
    30% protein
    5% carbs

1500 caloric daily limit

Thank you very much for your constructive comments and your polite, understanding delivery. It's interesting that you chose to address my concern this way, considering that almost every other person I have seen post about sugars being too high has been told to stop tracking their sugars and not worry about them. I am following the advice that I have seen given to dozens of others about their sugar intake, not only in this thread, but several others.

Im not sure if you're being sarcastic or what you were trying to say.

I apologize for my rude delivery, but this whole thread had me in an uproar when I see people saying "dont worry about tracking sugar" usually the people that will die of heart disease in their 40s. Those same people probably weight 250+ lbs and havent lost weight in months.

Insulin is the root of all problems, cancer, diabetes, etc. Sugar really is an epidemic that society needs to be made more aware of.

So again, are you actually taking my advice about limiting sugar or were you just being rude to me back? I wont be offended if its the latter as I deserved that.
  • vivian1616
    Options

65% fat
    30% protein
    5% carbs

1500 caloric daily limit

Im not sure if you're being sarcastic or what you were trying to say.

I apologize for my rude delivery, but this whole thread had me in an uproar when I see people saying "dont worry about tracking sugar" usually the people that will die of heart disease in their 40s. Those same people probably weight 250+ lbs and havent lost weight in months.

Insulin is the root of all problems, cancer, diabetes, etc. Sugar really is an epidemic that society needs to be made more aware of.

So again, are you actually taking my advice about limiting sugar or were you just being rude to me back? I wont be offended if its the latter as I deserved that.

Yes, I was being sarcastic, and I appreciate that you acknowledged that you probably deserved it. :P I totally understand what you are saying about people not being aware of the dangers of sugar, and I agree that it is a potential problem. Nobody should be discounting their sugar intake altogether, and even if you stop tracking it, you still need to be aware of what is going into your body.

I stopped tracking mine personally because just with one fruit and a cup of low fat yogurt, I was already close to or over my allotted portion allowed to me by MFP. I am eating healthier than I have in years and have already lost 8 pounds since I have been on this site, and the sugars that I do consume are not candy bars, sodas or other "added" sugars. I was getting frustrated by seeing a red number in my sugar column every day, and since I know I am not eating crap, I decided to change what I track on my food diary. I am not 250+ pounds, or at high risk for diabetes or heart attack. My thinking is, if an apple puts me over, I don't want to stress about that.