Is walking a waste of time?

Options
13»

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    LOL so you suggest, taking a baby outside in 16 degree weather when there is snow and ice on the ground? Yea, not putting my son in danger of getting hurt. I love my fiance, but our child comes first.
    Wrap your son up warm and go out children love being outside, I look after children and walk to and from school every day with lots of little ones, they get fresh air and stimulation from the world around them we are out whatever the weather 16 degrees isn't that bad we have been out in the minus numbers ????

Same here - wrapped them up in hat, gloves and good grip boots and they were away. Walking was the way we grew up - didn't need a gym and don't need one now. Go walk!
  • cathooo
    cathooo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    In my case, the same 30 minutes I spend on my walk to work is the same amount of time as a bus ride (walk to stop, wait for bus, walk from stop) and maybe 5 minutes more than taking a car (find my keys, start car, open the garage, stop at all the lights, find a parking spot and walk from there). On bad weather days, I move faster than the traffic does! Since it all balances out, there's no reason I shouldn't walk!

Like taking the stairs instead of the elevator, every bit counts!
  • explainsitall
    Options
    I do 4 miles of Leslie Sansone's fat burning walk every day and have gone from a size 14 or 16 down to a 10 or 12 petite (which is a 10 regular in average sizing) in about a month and a half (including a few trips to a friend's where I didn't count calories). It's my only cardio that I do. I combine it with basic pilates and yoga 3 days a week and average 74 minutes of exercise a day.

But I didn't start there. I started doing the 2 mile walk every day, which is about 30 minutes. I worked up from there and have found that I can't function unless I walk!
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options

LOL so you suggest, taking a baby outside in 16 degree weather when there is snow and ice on the ground? Yea, not putting my son in danger of getting hurt. I love my fiance, but our child comes first.
    For what is worth, 16 degree fahrenheit( -8 Celsius ) is still safe for a child to be outside. I bundle up even my 2 months old baby and take her out for a 40 minutes walk every morning and it is snow and ice every day since she was born. I usually do not take her with me when is is below -15 Celsius (=5 fhreinheit ) because I am a sisy , lol.
    You live a colder climate , your child better get used to be going outside and enjoying it . 13 months is when your baby actually may start to enjoying activities outside. You can buy a small sled for your son and pull him , he will love it! Plus pulling him on a sled will add your calorie burn too!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Walking is my main exercise (apart from dvds - and I'm not sure your hubby would follow those....) and is my husbands only exerccise. He's not logging calories but since banning full fat cheese from the house and walking more he's also lost 7 lb and is ready to step it up....by walking more! He loves finding a circuit for us to do at weekends, so we kit up (we wear running shoes to be more shock-absorbent) and set off for a good hour including hills as much as possible.

we also walk everywhere feasible - local shops (15-20 mins each way) dropping younger son with friends (round trip 30-40 mins), going out for a meal etc. I walk too and from work (15 mins) and try to walk 20-25 mins at lunchtime as well. I think the ticker says it all.