Um...What? Trail mix help.

Options
I just read that 37 g of mountain trial mix is 210 calories. That's only like 1/4 of a cup. And this whole entire bag is like 2, 700+ calories. (It's a 500g bag) Is that really how much it is? It is good calories? Or bad? I got Walmart Great value brand because I don't have much money to spend on really expensive kind.

Replies

• axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I find that stuff too calorie dense to be worth it. 1/4 cup is never enough for me.
  • Nicki_101
    Nicki_101 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Trail mix is a great healthy snack, in other words, don't eat the whole bag unless you are planning to burn said number of calories.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    probably mostly good from the nuts but if it has raisins and m&m's in it that's going to drive it up significantly too. Do you have a food scale that you can weigh out the equivalent 39g serving? Nuts are rather high in calories but they tend to be from good fats; raisins I recently found out are wicked high in calories per serving too. I still eat them on my morning oats though! I wouldn't hesitate to eat the trail mix but might look for something like straight mixed nuts without extras like raisins, or other dried fruits, or candies for the next time.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    It's really good... I had to stop buying it. I was gaining over a couple of months. I looked on the back of the trailmix bag and BINGO.. that was why.

Raison's can be high in calories
    Peanuts are high in calories
    There is probably a lot of salt in there.

If you can control yourself with 1/4 cup, then it's ok. But there is no way I could!
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I am not sure of the fat/calories but my mother in law likes BREAKFAST on the go packs... you can get at Walmart I know. Maybe check into them... I know there are several different kinds.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Trail mix is the devil .... it the grand scheme of things there are alot of other way more unhealthy things you could be eating, but it is very high in calories, and im not sure about the whole good calories thing, because most trail mix has raisins, which arent horrible but have alot of sugar, some sort of chocolate peices which dark chocolate in moderation is supposedly good for the anitoxidants, and even dried fruit peices not bad for you but most are packed with sugar. So for me, I try to avoid trail mix, because 1/4 cup is not satisfying anything, and at 210 a serving, thats almost a candy bar (not advocating you should eat one just saying).
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I find that stuff too calorie dense to be worth it. 1/4 cup is never enough for me.

Same here. Healthy stuff, but I can never stop after "a handful". So I tend to avoid it or buy it in really small packages (but they're usually way overpriced).
  • JerseyGirlinTN
    JerseyGirlinTN Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I don't use trail mix as a snack. It's too tempting to just keep shoving it in my mouth.

However, i will mix a 1/4 cup with my vanilla greek yogurt as a breakfast. Keeps me really full and well fueled.
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I get great value tropical fruit trail mix its 130 calories just be sure to measure according to serving size
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I don't use trail mix as a snack. It's too tempting to just keep shoving it in my mouth.

However, i will mix a 1/4 cup with my vanilla greek yogurt as a breakfast. Keeps me really full and well fueled.

I have to get the package, IMMEDIATELY bag it into 1/4 cup servings, and not keep them in the same place. I can thankfully restrain myself from eating it at home and I take it to work as a morning snack. Also thankfully for me, I don't like raisins, so I pick those out.

Nuts have turned into one of my favorite snacks. Calorie dense, yeah, but full of things that are good for you. And they taste yummy! Just enough salt and crunch to keep me satisfied.
  • millibelle
    millibelle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can dump it in plain oats as well. I don't eat it anymore. I get way more satisfaction eating a serving of raw almonds, a small piece of fruit and a small piece of dark chocolate for the same calories.
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Trail Mix is perfect for what it is. It is.... TRAIL MIX. It is not "sit on your couch mix" It is designed for when you are out on the trails hiking, and need that dense Calorie food.