Snacks?!?

Options
2»

Replies

• CinthiaF
    CinthiaF Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    As a snack I have a Freddo Frog. A Freddo Frog is a child's chocolate bar, very small and only two mouthfuls, but when you just need C H O C O L A T E !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - a Freddo is perfect and very low in calories.

i have never hear of those before. i will have to look around for those sometime :happy:
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    As a snack I have a Freddo Frog. A Freddo Frog is a child's chocolate bar, very small and only two mouthfuls, but when you just need C H O C O L A T E !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - a Freddo is perfect and very low in calories.

i have never hear of those before. i will have to look around for those sometime :happy:

Tried Googling it, not available in Canada!! Only UK, Australi, New Zealand and such!!:sad:
  • CinthiaF
    Options

Tried Googling it, not available in Canada!! Only UK, Australi, New Zealand and such!!:sad:

oh ok that is why i have not heard of it we probally do not get it here in USA
  • dinosgirl
    dinosgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    what is hummus?? and do you mean Spicy salsa or regular??

Hummus is just a fancy term for mashed up chick peas. It is usually combined with a bit of olive oil and garlic and used as a dip or a spread. Sooooooo good. You can find it in just about any grocery shop.

And most tomato/veggie based salsa are low in cals - spicy or not. :)
  • CinthiaF
    Options

Hummus is just a fancy term for mashed up chick peas. It is usually combined with a bit of olive oil and garlic and used as a dip or a spread. Sooooooo good. You can find it in just about any grocery shop.

Thank you for the advice i will have to look in to both those and the Hummus sounds yummy and the Salsa as well Thank you
  • kellycrow
    kellycrow Posts: 140
    Options
    Hummus is a dip/spread that is made from chickpeas. You can buy it at the stores or make it yourself... it is fantastic!! My favorite varieties are Garlic Lovers or Roasted Red Pepper... Depending on the brand, variety - it can be 40-70 calories per 2TB serving. It is a delicious mediterranean recipe. It is easy to make yourself...
    Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Total Time: 10 minutesIngredients:
    •1 16 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
    •1/4 cup liquid from can of chickpeas
    •3-5 tablespoons lemon juice (depending on taste)
    •1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
    •2 cloves garlic, crushed
    •1/2 teaspoon salt
    •2 tablespoons olive oil
    Preparation:
    Drain chickpeas and set aside liquid from can. Combine remaining ingredients in blender or food processor. Add 1/4 cup of liquid from chickpeas. Blend for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and smooth.

Place in serving bowl, and create a shallow well in the center of the hummus.

Add a small amount (1-2 tablespoons) of olive oil in the well. Garnish with parsley (optional).

Serve immediately with fresh, warm or toasted pita bread, or cover and refrigerate.
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I have to watch my carbs pretty closely because I am type 2 diabetic. I try to limit my snacks to around 15 carbs and the calories usually fall right in line. Animal crackers (not cookies) 16 is a serving. An apple, 5 pretzel flip crackers with 1 laughing cow cheese wedge, A low fat yogurt. sugar free pudding cup. Blue bunny butter pecan ice cream bar. 16 peices of the turkey pepperoni. And my one probably not good for me snack is Rockstar light vanilla energy drink. Stuff like that. I have a place to track a snack in the morning, after lunch and after dinner but rarely do I ever do all 3. I usually end up with an after dinner snack if my exercise calories kick me way up for the day and I need to eat a little more.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options

Watch certain salsas because they have a lot of sodium
    Thank you for the advice i will have to look in to both those and the Hummus sounds yummy and the Salsa as well Thank you
  • CinthiaF
    Options
    Thank you mommyhof3 for the tip i will loo out for that
  • girligirl22
    Options
    I make my snacks my treat, so I have like yogurt with some chocolate chips in it or something like that. I normally have a snack between breakfast and lunch, and one (or two if its a long day) between linch and dinner. Hope that helps!
  • Funnydream
    Funnydream Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Kellycrow - that humous recipe is great, I'm going to make it this weekend.

Girligirl - that chocolate chip thing in yoghurt sounds great - why didn't I think of that?
  • lick25
    lick25 Posts: 27
    Options

oh ok that is why i have not heard of it we probally do not get it here in USA

I believe they're made by Cadbury's which was an Enlish company until it was recently bought by Kraft so you might start seeing them soon as Kraft is American?????
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    I like to boil some eggs and keep them in hand on my fridge to take on the run. They are a good protein that will keep you full and satisfied.

Thanks for the hummus recipe. Yum yum.
  • Funnydream
    Funnydream Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I like to boil some eggs and keep them in hand on my fridge to take on the run. They are a good protein that will keep you full and satisfied.

Nice idea! I love boiled Eggs - but don't you find they're a bit whiffy?
  • arfrazee
    arfrazee Posts: 518
    Options
    My sis in law (love her BTW!!!!!!!!!!) gave me a little "goodie bag" to take to work tonight...She put wheat thins, laughing cow light original swiss flavor cheese, a mini babybel, and a tangelo. And before I left, I tried some hommus. SO GOOD!!!!!!!!
  • Mom2Emery_Liam
    Options
    I'm a major snacker...usually one btw bfast and lunch- I keep it under 100 cals. Then btw lunch and dinner, I snack a lot...probably too much but I almost always stay within my allowance of 1300. I chose snacks that are under 100 cals (or pretty close). Some of my favorites: dannon low fat yogurt- 60 cals, emerald almonds- 100, skinny cow mini fudge popsicles-50, green giant just for one broc and cheese- 45, rold gold twisted honey pretzels- 110, special k multi grain crackers- 90, med apple-80, and low fat cheese sticks- 60.
  • CinthiaF
    Options
    I'm a major snacker...usually one btw bfast and lunch- I keep it under 100 cals. Then btw lunch and dinner, I snack a lot...probably too much but I almost always stay within my allowance of 1300. I chose snacks that are under 100 cals (or pretty close). Some of my favorites: dannon low fat yogurt- 60 cals, emerald almonds- 100, skinny cow mini fudge popsicles-50, green giant just for one broc and cheese- 45, rold gold twisted honey pretzels- 110, special k multi grain crackers- 90, med apple-80, and low fat cheese sticks- 60.

i am going to have to look into some of those. I cant eat red one but will the yellows do for the apple option?
  • Mom2Emery_Liam
    Options

i am going to have to look into some of those. I cant eat red one but will the yellows do for the apple option?

I would think so- if you buy the bagged apples, it's cheaper and there's usually an exact calorie count on the bag too.