My ankle is really swollen how do I work ou?

Options
Hello Everyone!
I have a big problem. My ankle hurts really bad and it is really swollen. I think I hurt it exercising. I have been doing Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred and now I can't do it. Idk how to make my ankle better or how to work out while it is hurting. What should I do? I would love and appreciate some advice. Thanks!!!

Replies

• kingking
    kingking Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Answer 1: Maybe taking a few days off won't kill you. Let your body heal.

Answer 2 (the one I used when I had a town achilles tendon): Go swimming. You can still work off a lot of calories and not beat up any particular muscle.
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    1) if it swells more than it is now I would call the doctor. I hurt my foot at curves one night and by the next am couldnt put my shoe on. You may have a sprain.

2) I did mari windsor pilates but and thigh. Its done on the floor so it wont hurt.
  • tipusnr
    tipusnr Posts: 572
    Options
    Until your ankle heals. Or, at least, until the swelling goes down, you don't do any exercise that puts weight on it.

Ice the first 24 hours and then heat. I would also get a neoprene support to wear for awhilte. You could wrap and/or tape your ankle but that's a little tricky as you could give yourself blisters from wrapping the heel wrong. Google "Louisiana heel wrap".

You can still work out sitting or laying down!
  • bacallmarie
    Options
    Thank you all so much! Very helpful!
  • tutujoli
    tutujoli Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Definitely stay off of it. Maybe do some strength training instead. :) You can get a resistance band at most drug stores for a couple of bucks if you dont have any equipment.

In the meantime, ice and elevation for the first 24 hours, and then maybe look up "contrast baths" to help things heal up.