Sugar?

Options
Samnug
Samnug Posts: 5 Member
Hi - I was wondering if someone could give me more information on sugar intake. I am healthy and in shape and when I log my food into my fitness pal diary it says my goal of sugar should be 24. I am about 115 lbs and 5ft 3. I noticed that I am way over most days. For example today, I already logged in my breakfast and lunch and it put me at 42 grams of sugar (18 grams over!).

Breakfast - 100 calorie fruit greek yogurt, w/3 tablespoons high protein cereal.

Lunch - 1 cup tomato soup, almonds, banana

Snack - Chocolate Almond Kashi Bar

Dinner - some type of meat, vegges, salad...

It looks like the yogurt and the banana are putting me over the top. This seems a bit crazy to me?

I'd appreciate any help. Many thanks.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hi - I was wondering if someone could give me more information on sugar intake. I am healthy and in shape and when I log my food into my fitness pal diary it says my goal of sugar should be 24. I am about 115 lbs and 5ft 3. I noticed that I am way over most days. For example today, I already logged in my breakfast and lunch and it put me at 42 grams of sugar (18 grams over!).

Breakfast - 100 calorie fruit greek yogurt, w/3 tablespoons high protein cereal.

It looks like the yogurt and the banana are putting me over the top. This seems a bit crazy to me?

If you are consuming a relatively diverse range of mostly nutrient dense foods, it's nothing I'd worry about.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

If you are consuming a relatively diverse range of mostly nutrient dense foods, it's nothing I'd worry about.

This is the fact. I would add that sugar is a carb. If you are within your carb target and are eating with common sense, eg. mostly nutrient dense foods, it is fine. Be prepared though. These kind of threads bring out the folks that think sugar is the devil and they can be quite fanatical.
  • Samnug
    Samnug Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help. This is v. interesting. The good thing about logging my food is that it forces me to notice where all my calories are coming from.
  • alimarie53
    alimarie53 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing too! I just recently added the sugar tracker and almost every day I'm over.

At first I beat myself up over it...but I realized that most foods have some kind of sugar in them. I try to eat a piece of fruit every day and that along puts me at over half my allowed calories. Then you take in to consideration other things like oatmeal, yogurt, granola... it all has sugar. Some people maybe disciplined enough to give up these things... I'm not.

I look at where my sugar is coming from. If it's from a food that provides other benefits (like fruit, yogurt, or something fiber rich) I wont beat myself up over it. However, I am trying to make sure I purchase the yogurts and oatmeal that is lower in sugar.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

If you are eating processed foods you are likely eating sugar, that's what is doing it. Yesterday I ate about 24g of sugar. Most of it was from beef jerky and kefir (fermented milk)
  • crushers57
    crushers57 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So glad you asked this! I was fretting about the same thing and asking others. I like the idea of the total carb count and it makes sense. I'm eating healthy.....but was confused by the sugar levels. Thanks.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    If you are diabetic or prediabetic you should pay more attention to this, otherwise as long as the sugar is not processed (natural from fruit ect.) I wouldn't worry too much.
  • sjoytomasi
    Options
    You and I are exactly on the same page.... We had similar breakfasts and I was like.... what!!!! I'm already at a -9 on my sugar!!!!! Thanks for posting.
  • jordanalexis90
    jordanalexis90 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ok so I see everyone saying don't worry about natural sugar from fruits and such. But what is the difference. I have heard that sugar is sugar is sugar. Does your body really respond to it differently?
  • MrsMeisner
    MrsMeisner Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I started tracking my sugar for a while and was constantly over since I eat a good bit of fruit during the day. The only sugar I worry about is added sugar (in pre-prepared/store-bought items) and I try and stay away from artificial sweeteners (personal preference).

I've noticed for myself that yogurt and protein/granola/etc. bars can be a bit of a sugar trap depending on the brand so just be mindful of it but it's not going to kill you to eat it in moderation!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Ok so I see everyone saying don't worry about natural sugar from fruits and such. But what is the difference. I have heard that sugar is sugar is sugar. Does your body really respond to it differently?

Sugar is sugar. You may process it more quickly in the case of simple sugars or more slowly in the case a fruit with sugar and fiber. In the end, assuming you are eating in some reasonable fashion, it doesn't matter, if your carb macronutrient targets are being met and not exceeded. All carbs become sugar (blood glucose). Is is a great idea to get all your carbs from simple table sugar or candy or soda, not really. But a little simple sugar, some fruit and some starch and/ or veggies is good. Isn't that how most sensible people eat?
  • KathrynKennewell108
    KathrynKennewell108 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Sugar is ok if it's in fruit, as studies have shown the fibre in fruit seems to negate the negative effects of the fructose (to a degree, which is why you need to limit fruit intake.. but scientists haven't worked out why just yet). ADDED sugar is a whole other story.

Fructose is the biggest thing you need to worry about and table sugar is 50% fructose. There are so many hidden sugars in processed foods it's not funny... even in hamburger buns at your local Maccas. Try and imitate what your ancestors ate. Stick with natural foods. Sugar is not widely available in nature - it is, however, in the agricultural lifestyle we have made for ourselves. I'm sure our ancestors had better teeth than us before sugar became cheap enough for the average person to afford. If you look up the history of sugar, you might find it to be a fascinating read

Shop the perimeter. Try and be careful of sugary fruity things added to stuff like yoghurt or oat bars, etc. Yes, use your recipes, but the more you make yourself from scratch, the better off you are long term.

Just a side note. Try not to compensate with additives like aspartame. The jury is still out on this one and there is heavy debate despite studies done so far as to how lethal this stuff really is. I have heard lots of reports of people with very real and very bad side effects to sweeteners. And opting for sweeteners gives people the false sense of security in thinking they can have more. Try for a natural alternative like plant based Stevia.