Heavy Lifting and higher calories??

Options
kopmom
kopmom Posts: 491 Member
I am doing Stronglift 3x a week and do notice I am more hungry on lifting days. To those who up their calories because of lifting...do you eat higher calorie just on the days you lift or everyday? I run 3x a week on the days I do not lift (now between 5-10 miles each run) and have one rest day.

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I personally eat more on lifting days only, I've been maintaining for the most part but have lost some body fat.
  • Phrakman
    Phrakman Posts: 113
    Options
    You might be more hungry on your weight lifting days, but you are burning way more calories on your running days.

Ive never understood the whole eat more on lifting/less on recovery day concept. I prefer a straight deficit throughout the week.
  • JerroldAquino
    JerroldAquino Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do believe there is a natural response by the body with strength training. Doing 5x5s and the focus on basic heavy compound movements will naturally increase your appetite. I believe there is research out there to back this up. The physiology and biochemistry behind this makes sense.
  • EKN1417
    EKN1417 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The right answer will depend on your goals and your lifestyle. What is your primary goal- to gain muscle or lose fat? Or are you very close to your goals and trying to both at a slower pace (often called body re-comp.)

I will say that whatever your goals on it is 100% totally fine to eat more on lifting days than non-lifting days provided you are still meeting your overall calorie goals. For example, if you are trying to gain muscle primarily and eat more on lifting days and less on non-lifting days, that is fine, as long as you are eating enough overall. If you are trying to lose fat, as long as you don't exceed your calories for the week you will be fine. And if you are trying to re-comp, a lean gains approach where you eat over maintenence on lifting days and under on non-lifting days may make sense.

There is no magic about eating the exact same amount of calories of each day. There is magic in setting overall goals, being consistent, and listening to you body. If you are hungirer on days you life, great, eat for it and adjust the others.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat more on the days after lifting. Not really because I plan it that way, just because I'm so hungry so I guess my body wants me to. :)
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Personally I think your body is craving more protein on those days than other days due to the lifting rather than just a number of calories. So you might just want to try upping your protein intake. I also eat the same on off days as lift days mainly because even on off days my body is trying to repair itself. I've always heard gains with weightlifting are made on the rest days rather than in the gym
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat more on workout days, I end up really hungry the day after. So I eat 400cal more (burning 450-500) on workout day than a non. Since I combine SL and cardio, I haven't worked out which makes me hungry, specifically.

I prefer to eat what I've "earned" as well as finding my body responds better to "just in time" fuel+recovery rather than "here, average this out over a week or so and you'll be fine".
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Personally I think your body is craving more protein on those days than other days due to the lifting rather than just a number of calories. So you might just want to try upping your protein intake. I also eat the same on off days as lift days mainly because even on off days my body is trying to repair itself. I've always heard gains with weightlifting are made on the rest days rather than in the gym

My PT told me this when I told him that I was hungrier on non-lifting days. I have a daily calorie target, but work on my calorie intake for the week.