Juice Fast?

Options
Hello everyone,
I've come across "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" documentary. For those who are unfamiliar with this, it's about an overweight man who goes on a 60 day juice fast and loses an astonishing 82 lbs. Many have tried the juice fast and have sworn by it.

I'm 5'9", 146 lbs, and am in a healthy weight range. I've had problems with my midsection, in fact I've never In my life had a flat or slim midsection. My weight for some reason sits around my stomach. my stomach makes me look pregnant, and no I'm not exaggerating. I've tried everything. I don't smoke. I don't drink. I eat healthy overall and excersise. Nothing has worked. I've considered doing a juice fast. since it eliminates fat intake, perhaps my body will use the fat around my midsection. I obviously wouldn't do the fast for as long as Joe did.

Does this something that sounds like it will work? What are you're thoughts?
Thank you so much,
Lexi

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy stuff, do some HIIT and eat correctly.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Juicing gets rid of the good stuff found in fruit. That's found in the pulp of the fruit.

Long story short: Don't do it. Cut out processed foods and eat as clean as possible. Water intake will help as well.
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    This is a good, simple article on why juice fasts aren't a great way to lose weight:

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/detox-diet-side-effects

(Full disclosure...I did a juice fast before I knew anything about nutrition, and I enjoyed it (the Blueprint Cleanse juices are DELISH)...but I gained back the 6 lbs I lost that week about 5 minutes after I started eating real food again. Unfortunately, there aren't any shortcuts to weight loss!)
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Can you make your diary where we can view it? You need to make sure you really are eating as healthy as possible. Cut out all processed junk, start eating more vegetables, fruits, and lean meats. Also make sure you are getting cardio and strength training in. Abs really are made in the kitchen. Working out just helps define them!
  • eli130
    eli130 Posts: 3
    Options
    Juicing works and does help cleanse out the system. You want to try to get a juicer that uses the entire fruit. When I met my husband he had the Jack Lelane (spelling?) and it really leaves very little pulp out, utilizing all the nutrients. Juicing is good to start off a routine, do a cleanse, or jump start after a plateau. When you start eating again, some of the weight will come back to where ever it likes to sit. I also have NEVER had a flat stomach, even as a kid I was extremely fit (high end competitive swimmer for 10 years) but that lower pouch has always been there. The one thing that I have found that works wonders for my abs are Pilates! I swear by it. When I first lost a bunch of weight I did the legs and abs pilates everyday, alternating between the two. They literally took only 20 min and was low impact for my joints. It was the leanest I had been in 10 years! I swear by doing regular pilates. Again, juicing is an excellent way to cleanse or jumpstart, but it isn't a good tool for weight loss because once you start eating again, your body will go back to holding on to your food. Good Luck! :)
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I didn't read article or hear about this guy, only what was said in this thread. Sure he lost alot of weight, but what happens when he returns to eating food?? Juicing a meal one day, maybe juice a meal or 2 every other day but continue to eat food. That way you're not setting yourself up for a blowout. When you juice, save the pulp, freeze it and use in recipes later on! Good Luck.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I've come across "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" documentary. For those who are unfamiliar with this, it's about an overweight man who goes on a 60 day juice fast and loses an astonishing 82 lbs. Many have tried the juice fast and have sworn by it.

I'm 5'9", 146 lbs, and am in a healthy weight range. I've had problems with my midsection, in fact I've never In my life had a flat or slim midsection. My weight for some reason sits around my stomach. my stomach makes me look pregnant, and no I'm not exaggerating. I've tried everything. I don't smoke. I don't drink. I eat healthy overall and excersise. Nothing has worked. I've considered doing a juice fast. since it eliminates fat intake, perhaps my body will use the fat around my midsection. I obviously wouldn't do the fast for as long as Joe did.

Does this something that sounds like it will work? What are you're thoughts?
    Thank you so much,
    Lexi

Try a wheat (gluten) and grains elimination diet. it sounds more like bloat than anything else. If, after a few days off those two things, and your belly hasn't deflated, then see a gastroenterologist. It sounds like you're doing everything right, so it might be food related. Juice fasts sound like a crock to me -- and you need protein and fats.
  • its_go_time
    its_go_time Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Juicing gets rid of the good stuff found in fruit. That's found in the pulp of the fruit.

Long story short: Don't do it. Cut out processed foods and eat as clean as possible. Water intake will help as well.

Get a Nutribullet (or something similar), no pulp extraction, problem solved.

I do it once in a while for a day. I like doing it that way. I did it for 5 days once. No way in hell I could do it longer than that. I got weak as hell after that, and I even added protein powder and veggies to mine.
  • LexiBlack12
    LexiBlack12 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    He did the fast and I believe lost approximately 100 lbs to this point. He gradually reintroduced solids after his fast. He emphasized the importance of eating healthy after the fast. He's kept the weight off for about two years now. I also saw him on Dr. Oz not too long ago. Doctors in the documentary also emphasized slowly reintroducing solid foods after the fast. By doing that, the weight should stay off. Also, in regards to protein, dark greens especially have protein. And the other thing is to ensure the faster receives 1200 cals a day.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy stuff, do some HIIT and eat correctly.

This.
  • LexiBlack12
    LexiBlack12 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I could never do a juice fast but I do juice a handful of times a week. I consider them energy drinks for me. I eat a healthy diet, and lots of variety, but some days I just feel in a slump. A mean green juice gives me the equivalent of a rock star or monster energy drink with out all the crap and sugars :smile:

Will it help with a flat stomach? I don't know, haven't had one since about 4 :laugh:
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Juicing is a terrible idea. Eat food and lift.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Juice doesn't remove fat. The only way juicing "works" is that you may be drastically cutting your calorie intake although if you use a lot of fruits you'll probably just be adding a lot of sugar calories. There's no magic in juice that melts fat off.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    He did the fast and I believe lost approximately 100 lbs to this point. He gradually reintroduced solids after his fast. He emphasized the importance of eating healthy after the fast. He's kept the weight off for about two years now. I also saw him on Dr. Oz not too long ago. Doctors in the documentary also emphasized slowly reintroducing solid foods after the fast. By doing that, the weight should stay off. Also, in regards to protein, dark greens especially have protein. And the other thing is to ensure the faster receives 1200 cals a day.

Dr. Oz is a salesman, he doesn't promote healthy lifestyles at all
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    I have to agree with the poster who said juicing (as a fast) is a terrible idea.
    Sure have some fresh juice now and again, but don't make it your primary source of nutrients for any period of time.

I fasted for 3-1/2 days, and while I did lose weight (nothing noticeable physically) I also felt HORRID, starving, miserable, terrible headaches. When I ate "real" food, which includes a lot of fruits and veggies, I felt 100% better.

| started losing hair, and steadily lost a lot of hair for about 3 /4 months A LOT of hair. I had and still have quite a few fresh new hairs to tame just about every morning. Doc said it was side effect of me jumping into a juice fast. A bunch of the people on the Fat Sick and Nearly Dead juicing site had complained of the same issue.
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Please don't take this negatively - it was a lesson I learned lately and I thought I'd share in case it helps.

You may be in healthy weight RANGE but that may not be the best weight for you. You may need to lose more weight to see the appearance you want. My mother-in-law is 5'10". She got down into healthy weight range (through clean diet and weight training mixed with cardio) and still had a significant belly. She is now 135lbs (around 19 for BMI) and is seeing the figure she wants. She is very small boned and just found she needs to be at the low end of healthy weight to have a flat stomach.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and do it if you must. I look forward to a later post asking why you gained weight after you finished your juice cleanse.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Ok I watched the show too. :)
    I bought a used juicer and have taken to adding some juice to my day. I don't think that I could only injest juice. I would be hungry. :)
    I am trying to get to the point that I drink two a day to help with my veggies/fruit intake.
    Hope this helps. Whatever you do good luck
  • GetFitWilliams
    GetFitWilliams Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just heard about this yesterday and thought about doing it... until I realized that once u start eating again, u are more than likely gonna pack back on some pounds... if it doesn't make u sick first. juicing is not for everyone. I decided I will just subsitute a meal or use it as an energy drink.