jogging/running progression

Options
So I am currently jogging on the treadmill at 4.5 mph for 20 minutes total and walking at 3.5 mph for a total of 10 minutes. I do intervals of 5 minutes of jogging and 2 minutes of walking. I was wondering if people could suggest what my next increase should be, speed or endurance? I am thinking endurance but not sure how much I should up it each time. Just curious because I am trying to make fitness goals that include my running.

Replies

• cbeckl
    cbeckl Posts: 79
    Options
    Would also love some information about increasing speed/distance!! I try to run daily in the morning and I'm consistently running 10-10.5 minutes miles. Running a 10k in April and a half-marathon in October. Feel free to add me for some "running buddies".
  • ntdrive
    ntdrive Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    What is your ultimate goal? Are you hoping to run in 5k, etc?
  • blacklabelbabe
    blacklabelbabe Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I don't have an "ultimate" goal right now, but sure let's say to run a 5k is what I want to get to.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    So I am currently jogging on the treadmill at 4.5 mph for 20 minutes total and walking at 3.5 mph for a total of 10 minutes. I do intervals of 5 minutes of jogging and 2 minutes of walking. I was wondering if people could suggest what my next increase should be, speed or endurance? I am thinking endurance but not sure how much I should up it each time. Just curious because I am trying to make fitness goals that include my running.

ENDURANCE!!!

If you work on running farther more often your pace will naturally increase. This happens as a consequence of becoming more aerobically fit. You can go faster at the same level of effort. If you run to hard to early you skip this aerobic development and severely limit your pace
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You should increase your indurance. The couch to 5k app that I am using does that and it works. Your speed will progress as your endurance does. Don't worry about how fast you are, just go at the pace that you feel the most comfortable with! good luck
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    endurance***** wow. OOPS! lol
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    My trainers always tell me never to run below 5mph. Not sure why. I would suggest setting 5mph as your goal based solely on their ideology.

Aside from that, do a lot of intervals. Increase your speed by .2 every 30 seconds until you are 1.0 higher than your normal speed, do that for 1 minute, back down to your normal speed. And/or increase your incline by 2 every 30 seconds until you get to 6 or so and then do that for 1 minute. Stuff like that.

Speed and incline will lead to endurance.
  • ntdrive
    ntdrive Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Endurance
    Options
    My trainers always tell me never to run below 5mph. Not sure why. I would suggest setting 5mph as your goal based solely on their ideology.

Aside from that, do a lot of intervals. Increase your speed by .2 every 30 seconds until you are 1.0 higher than your normal speed, do that for 1 minute, back down to your normal speed. And/or increase your incline by 2 every 30 seconds until you get to 6 or so and then do that for 1 minute. Stuff like that.

This is all wrong

ETA more info

The effort required to run at a particular pace is very different for every individual. What you should be concerned with is running at a particular level of effort. The most objective (although still imperfect) way to measure this is heart rate. Barring heart rate you should use perceived exertion.

speed trains foot turnover, fast twitch muscles fibers, lactic acid system, anerobic system. None of which have anything to do with endurance

Incline targets different / more muscles and reduces the pace you can run at the same level of exertion but again does nothing for endurance
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    There are many, many, many more knowledgeable runners here than I will ever be but...... I am currently training for my first half marathon & it is all about endourance. Runs at a slow / easy / conversational pace. From reading beginner advice on some running forums it seems what they encourage as well. I am doing these 'easy' runs @ low mileage Mon, Thurs. My Wed run alternates between 'easy' pace & 'race' pace & increases in mileage every couple of weeks. My long run is Sat & that is s.....l.....o.......w.........
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I would use this chart and start at week 5. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • krissynicole787
    krissynicole787 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    i started the same way you did! if you can, try to start running outside. it is alot harder. but after running outside for a few weeks and then going back on the treadmill you will notice you can run faster and for longer periods of time.

i started at 4.5 for 5 minutes and walking 2 minutes at 3.5. then i would try to run for a few minutes longer. after a couple of months i could run on the treadmill for an hour at 4.5.

After running outside I can run on the treadmill at 5.5 for 3 miles on the treadmill. Yesterday I actually broke my own record and ran at 6 mph for 20 minutes! it took me 31 minutes to run 3 miles, and it normall takes me 34 minutes.

last weekend i ran my second 5k and it took me 34 minutes (10.44/mile) :smile: my new goal is to run a 5k in 30 minutes!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Endurance...speed will come naturally with increased endurance. Also, recommend doing some running outside...completely different world and much more difficult. If you really want to run a 5K, do some training outside...not saying you can never use the treadmill, but running outside will get you where you want/need to be for a 5K.
  • jasminetoi
    jasminetoi Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    the Couch to 5K app helped me go from not being able to run 30 seconds without a struggle to running atleast 20 mins on 6 mph as just a warm up....3 days a week.and it increases your time every day.....after you master that you go back and increase your speed....it works if you are consistent...but hey what doesnt lol
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Run longer and run easy. Easy may or may not be slow depending on a person's aerobic development. If you use a heart rate monitor easy is around 75% max heart rate and below. As you become more fit easy becomes faster at the same heartrate.

Build up to the point you can run 2 hrs once every week or two.
    Options
    also if you can already run 20 minutes without stopping I would skip C25k. Simply start increasing the time you run by 5 minutes every week.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options

This is all wrong

ETA more info

The effort required to run at a particular pace is very different for every individual. What you should be concerned with is running at a particular level of effort. The most objective (although still imperfect) way to measure this is heart rate. Barring heart rate you should use perceived exertion.

speed trains foot turnover, fast twitch muscles fibers, lactic acid system, anerobic system. None of which have anything to do with endurance

Incline targets different / more muscles and reduces the pace you can run at the same level of exertion but again does nothing for endurance

Do you have a source for this? Intervals worked for me. I could run really slowly for 40 minutes but couldn't increase my pace for more than 1 minute or so before. I just ran a 10k on the treadmill at a faster pace than I ever did before interval training. Also, I'm not talking about sprinting. A 1.0 increase is not going to put you in an all-out sprint. As for the 5.0 number, as I said I don't know why they recommend that but every trainer I've had (which is granted, only 3 of them) have said that. They have never explained the logic so I don't know what the reasoning is.

As for interval training, I see the following articles online when I google interval running or incline running.

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Interval-Training-Tips-for-Runners
    http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/whats-difference-between-fartlek-tempo-and-interval-runs
    http://blog.runnerslounge.com/2009/03/getting-faster-part-ii-interval-training.html
    http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Use_interval_training_to_hit_your_5K_and_10K_potential

http://www.shape.com/fitness/cardio/hill-running-5-reasons-love-incline
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/73716-treadmill-incline-vs.-speed/

In fact, I tried googling "interval training does not build endurance" and all that came back was articles saying it DOES build endurance.
  • blacklabelbabe
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think endurance is definitely what I am going to be focusing on!

I want to run outside ultimately but the reason I am on the treadmill right now is because I wanted to find a pace and get started. Also, I am waiting on a HRM to be delivered and the one I ordered tracks the last 16 workout sessions and I plan on using that to help me outside (and to track the calories). At least the treadmill I can set my weight, age, etc. and get a count that is much lower than MFP but probably more accurate.

And it has been 2 weeks so far for me running at least 3 days per week and I feel like I just need to up it but wasn't sure how to do so!
  • blacklabelbabe
    Options
    i started the same way you did! if you can, try to start running outside. it is alot harder. but after running outside for a few weeks and then going back on the treadmill you will notice you can run faster and for longer periods of time.

i started at 4.5 for 5 minutes and walking 2 minutes at 3.5. then i would try to run for a few minutes longer. after a couple of months i could run on the treadmill for an hour at 4.5.

After running outside I can run on the treadmill at 5.5 for 3 miles on the treadmill. Yesterday I actually broke my own record and ran at 6 mph for 20 minutes! it took me 31 minutes to run 3 miles, and it normall takes me 34 minutes.

last weekend i ran my second 5k and it took me 34 minutes (10.44/mile) :smile: my new goal is to run a 5k in 30 minutes!

That is awesome! Congratulations on your progress and thanks for responding :) Definitely motivation/inspiration for me! I just want to be able to go for a run and enjoy myself outside!
  • RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    This is what I did...I started last October on the treadmill and had never heard of C25K. I walked for 10 minutes, ran as long as I could, then walked till I had been on it for 30 minutes. I gradually got to where I was walking 5, running/jogging (4mph) for 20, then walk for 5. After I got to where that felt comfortable, I bumped it up to 5mph. Then after that felt ok I went to running for 30 min, keeping the 5 min walk before and after. After that felt ok, I raised the incline to 1%, and that is where I am at now. I run in the morning before work, so I don't want to increase the time much more than where I am now, so I will probably increase the speed a little more, then just keep it at that. For me, 30 minute run is a good workout for the goals I have set.

As for running outside, I have only ran outside twice and both times I ran longer and faster than I do on the treadmill, with the same effort.