Who's handy in your house?

Options
AlsDonkBoxSquat
AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
That's it, who is the handy one in your house? Wife, husband, no one, everyone?

My co-worker thinks it's funny that I'm the one who fixes, paints, and repairs most things in my house. I have more power tools than my husband (not including the ones in the nightstand). I've removed flooring in preparation for the workers to put in new, replaced toilets, painted most of the walls by myself, did some minor repairs to the stove, repair and refinish furniture, am currently working on painting the ceilings, painting the trim, fixing some minor cracks in wall seams, and caulking in the bathrooms and kitchen. So, between the two of us I am the handy one, how about you?

Replies

• DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

My co-worker thinks it's funny that I'm the one who fixes, paints, and repairs most things in my house. I have more power tools than my husband (not including the ones in the nightstand). I've removed flooring in preparation for the workers to put in new, replaced toilets, painted most of the walls by myself, did some minor repairs to the stove, repair and refinish furniture, am currently working on painting the ceilings, painting the trim, fixing some minor cracks in wall seams, and caulking in the bathrooms and kitchen. So, between the two of us I am the handy one, how about you?

You pretty much described my house as well.

Add in the fact that I'm much handier than my Mexican husband, and let the jokes fly.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Mostly me, but my wife can do some things too.

I've tackled two full bathroom remodels, do a lot of gardening, fix random broken things, do all vehicle maintenance and some other work like brakes and similar, work on the motorcycles for things like carbs, chains, timing belts etc.

JM
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    My fiance is the handy one. He works construction/carpentry and he does really good work....I just do the clean up around the house after he demolishes something.

I have a sister that is like you, she's the handy one around the house and her husband is a teacher.
  • CaliforniaSweetheart
    Options
    No one. I live alone and can't fix anything!

Accepting applications for a handy man! Lol.
  • ericmessier
    ericmessier Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My brother. I am too pretty to get my hands dirty. :embarassed:
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I can do most of the housework... for anything out of the ordinary, my dad knows everything.

My wife... is a certified master mechanic. She was a jet engine mechanic in the airforce... anything goes wrong with a car, she's fixing it. I can do 'most' things... change a belt, oil, any other fluid, switch out most parts... but she's the one with in-depth knowledge.

ETA: So she doesn't kill me... she can do some more advanced stuff in the house too.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    The only handy person in our house is my brother in law...when we ask him to come over to fix something.

Every time we touch something and try to fix it ourselves, we create another issue. Being handy just isn't in our genes.
  • scythswife
    scythswife Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    hubby is the handy one. I can do some things but if I get to agrivated I tend to use duct tape (hence how my daughters dresser got fixed)
  • blanhe2
    blanhe2 Posts: 88
    Options
    Between me and my two felines, it is me. I am an engineer so that helps :). I do just about anything as long as I don't have to do it standing on a ladder.

I build most of my kitchen cabinets only had professional help to put the work top on and move the heavy electrical items in place and a friend helped hang the cabinets cause yeah... that ladder :D
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Me, I own my own house and it was a MESS when I bought it. I laid the wooden floors, sanded, painted, varnished the stairs, tiled a bathroom, painted rooms and ceilings, built shelves, fitted the kitchen and I fix cracks etc by myself. The one thing I won't deal with is electrics, I always pay a man to do that because I don't want my house going up in flames!
  • flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    When I was married to my ex-husband, I was "the handy one", but my current partner is just as handy as I am, although we both have our own domains. I do plumbing and rough construction, but her skills far exceed mine at things like painting, finish carpentry, and flat-pack assembly. I've never known anyone else I could trust to assemble Ikea unattended, and she's better at it than I am. So, we're both the handy ones.
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options

We both are, but I do more in terms of renovation. I leave the plumbing and electrical for my husband, but I can do most other things - demolition, pulling up and replacing flooring, refinishing floors, painting, tiling, refinishing furniture, drywall repair, tiling backsplashes, building new furniture out of old pieces, caulking, scraping and painting ceilings, etc.
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    My husband is more handy then I am but, I can do quite a few thigns on my own as well. He is the vehicle Mechanic tho. He LOVES the fact that I dont always wait for him to do things...if I can get it done, I will do it. I helped him and his brother build a 900 sq ft addition on his brother's house! LOVED IT!!!!

NOW, when it comes to outside yard work, that is mostly me. :-)

E.T.A. - When I lived with my mom, after my dad left, I did a lot more things around the house then I do now...I was her "Handyman"
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    As the only human in my house, I guess it's me. LOL And that's pretty sad. :)
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I live alone. I'm not handy, but I'm creative. I improvise, until things can get fixed properly.

Superglue and duct tape.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I'm all hands
  • nitrogen_widget
    nitrogen_widget Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Just me & my boys in the house.
    I bought a HUD home, gutted it down to bare studs & rebuilt most of it myself.
    One day it might be done. LOL!
    But I'm always finding projects to do on it.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I fix things in the house. Wife likes to paint and put together furniture/kids toys, till she gets frustrated with it.
    I party finished my basement, do plumbing, electrical, etc.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My husband is the original Mr Fix It! He is a certified RV Mechanic so can fix everything Inside and out from the engine to body work, from repairing cabinetry to the air conditioning. It's just on a smaller scale than a house. Problem is since he does it all day at work he doesn't want to do it at home.