Swiss Chard

Options
MamaC77
MamaC77 Posts: 104 Member
Any ideas on what one should make with this? I went shopping last night and they didn't have much for leafy veggies so I grabbed that. No idea what to do with it.

Replies

• KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I cook mine until soft in a sauce pan with water, rice vinegar, onions, garlic, seasoning.......very easy and taste good!
  • MissySchwab
    MissySchwab Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    rinse it well and shake off excessive water in sink.cut the bottom off and cut it into bite sizes pieces separating the stems from the leaves saute the stems lightly in chicken broth just a tablespoon of it till almost soft add the leaves and do a quick stir fry of them just wilting them add a little salt ,pepper and garlic to taste.

It is also really good cut up in a salad ,stir fried in stir fry dinners,or cut up thrown in soups and stews :smile:

good luck
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I like mine very simply prepared...just steamed and wilted and topped with a little red wine vinegar.
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Try adding it to any recipe that you would normally use spinach or kale in. It sort of hovers between spinach and kale in terms of tenderness so it works well in a lot of stir-fry, soup, and casserole dishes.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Subbing this thread in hopes of getting ideas that will help take out the bitterness. That's why I don't like it, even though I know it's good for me.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Any ideas on what one should make with this? I went shopping last night and they didn't have much for leafy veggies so I grabbed that. No idea what to do with it.

Pull off the leaves from the stem. Cut the end of the stem off and chop it up. Add that to the pan with some onions or garlic and le it go for a bit as it takes longer to cook. Then add the leaves and let them wilt like spinach. Blue cheese goes with it really well too.
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Subbing this thread in hopes of getting ideas that will help take out the bitterness. That's why I don't like it, even though I know it's good for me.

Usually a dose of acid helps with the bitter taste (lemon juice, vinegar, wine reductions)
  • MamaC77
    MamaC77 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. That is a great help. So many good ideas.
  • marshmallow8978
    marshmallow8978 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I cook mine with olive oil, garlic and mushrooms at dinner, its also yummy with a bit of lemon juice. For breakfast ill take some hash browns-white potato or sweet potato- and add some chard until wilted.