I'm really supposed to eat this much?

Options
My TDEE is 2110. So, I'm supposed to plug that into MFP's cal goal and that's how many calories I'm supposed to eat?! That seems like a lot!

I eat less than that now and I'm steady gaining! :(

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE is how many calories it takes to MAINTAIN your weight.

You need to eat less than your TDEE.

Assuming you input your information on MFP it should have given you your calorie goal with a caloric deficit from your TDEE.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Nope! TDEE would be a maintenance amount. Subtract anywhere from 10% to 25% off of that number and plug THAT in as your goal. Or, calculate your BMR and test some numbers between your BMR and TDEE to see what you're comfortable with. That has been more workable for me personally. Once you know your BMR, if you like to log exercise cals, then just try and NET at least your BMR amount and UNDER your TDEE.

Honestly, these numbers are confusing. I find that if you set MFP to 1lb per week loss the number it spits out is almost identical to your TDEE-20% so that should take the guess work out of it!
  • yellknrb
    yellknrb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow, not sure what TDEE is or MFP but to maintain your weight it is 11 x your weight that is a 11 calories per pound to maintain weight.

You need to have a deficient of 500 calories a day to lose 1lb a week.

So if you weigh 200lbs then 2200 calorie diet will maintain your weight. You would need to consume only 1700 calories a day to lose 1lbs a week.

As women, our cyles will play a role in water weight and this could be a period of frustration.

Good luck.
  • LAWSBIGGAL
    Options
    Ooooooh Now THAT makes sense! LOL

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Wow, not sure what TDEE is or MFP but to maintain your weight it is 11 x your weight that is a 11 calories per pound to maintain weight.

So if you weigh 200lbs then 2200 calorie diet will maintain your weight. You would need to consume only 1700 calories a day to lose 1lbs a week.

As women, our cyles will play a role in water weight and this could be a period of frustration.

Good luck.

The 11kcal per/lb is NOT accurate for those that are active. I maintain at 16 kcal/lb.

You need to find your BMR-

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

Multiple that by your activity level-

SEDENTARY-1.2
    LIGHT ACTIVE-1.35
    ACTIVE-1.5

Then subtract your 10-20%. :)
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

Good luck.

Well no, this doesn't actually work for most people who are active. I weigh between 113-115 and there's no way I would maintain on less than 1300 cals. I would drop some weight yes but then plateau and be a starving mess. I maintain my weight on 2000-2200 cals and drop safely and healthy at around 1800.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Good luck.

No flippin' way...I way 185...that would mean I would maintain at 2,035...I lose 1 Lb per week at 2,150 and maintain at 2,650. Maybe that is maintenance for a sedentary person or something...definitely not for someone who is at all active.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 2110. So, I'm supposed to plug that into MFP's cal goal and that's how many calories I'm supposed to eat?! That seems like a lot!

I eat less than that now and I'm steady gaining! :(

If you eat less than 2110 and gain, then 2110 is not your TDEE. Remember calculators will only generate the average TDEE for someone with your stats. Your TDEE is the amount of calories at which you maintain your weight/size.

To lose you need to eat less than your TDEE. Most people go with a percentage less TDEE minus 20% if you have a lot to lose, TDEE minus 5-10% if you don't have a lot to lose, depending on how near goal you are.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

Good luck.

This is a very general formula and not accurate for everyone. How active they are will change how many calories they burn/need to eat.
    TDEE: Total Daily Energy Expenditure
    MFP: MyFitnessPal
  • AncientLullaby_
    Options
    All I want to tell you is that don't eat under your BMR.... and calories are not just calories, make sure you eat healthy .... It sure helped me big time just being honest.
  • lisa483
    lisa483 Posts: 105 Member
    Options

Good luck.

This is incorrect.

I weigh 137lbs and 11 x 137 = 1507, this is not my TDEE. I eat around 1500 or more everyday and still lose between 1 and 2lbs a week.

Have a read of the IPOARM you will find this very useful information
  • yellknrb
    yellknrb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It seems you are all correct.

11 calories per lb is for not exercising at all.

I would add the calories that I burned to my total intake.

But I'm glad to have started a completely different conversation.

Good luck all.