Knee pain?

Happyoceangirl
Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Out of the blue - I have a "catch" in my knee. I've been exercising for months, running, and doing DVDs with lots of squats and lunges. All fine.

I woke up this morning and it hurt to bend and unbend my left knee. Did the shred today and felt that "catch" still there.

I'm hoping it goes away as quickly as it came... but in the meantime - posting here for ideas, suggestions - anyone else dealing with this? Or had it come and go for no apparent reason?

(BTW, I'm in my early 30's and don't have any injuries...)

Replies

• Bleux
    Bleux Posts: 186
    I have knee problems as well, have since I was 16. Best thing to do is to ice it, especially when you feel pain, and get it elevated. I usually wear braces on both knees when working out, no matter what I am doing or whether they hurt or not. They are just regular sport supports, any local Wallgreens or Walmart, etc should have them. They aren't expensive. I would rather not get to the point of them hurting bad enough I cannot do anything with. If it persists, go see your Dr, to make sure you don't have a major injury! Better safe than sorry. If you workout on an injured body part, you risk not being to workout at all.
    RICE = R-rest I-ice C-compression (wearing a brace) E-elevate
  • CoachJ77
    CoachJ77 Posts: 80 Member
    I dont know how heavy you are or how heavy you are or how heavy you were, but that could have put stress on your joints. With age comes tendonitus and what doctors call, "achy joints" haha. The things you can do is very low impact things such as, elliptical training, swimming, and if you must run use a treadmill for now. Incorporating any of these things in instead of running a lot during the week is something I would suggest as well. Take Ibuprofen around the clock as well (every four hours with food in your stomach) along with icing after every workout. Pretty much treating it as an injury until it goes away. If it doesn't go away, you may want to consult a doc to see what is really up.
  • KalB
    KalB Posts: 42
    I have had knee injurys so I dont know why your knee would be hurting all of a sudden but I agree that you should wear a support and and ice it after a work out with it elevated. That is never bad advice.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    You might want to take it easy for a couple of days and see if it gets better. If it doesn't, you probably ought to have your doc check it out.
  • ydavyd
    ydavyd Posts: 15 Member
    I have a little bit of the knee pain going as well here. I just started exercising. I will be seeing my doctor today and I will ask him.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    My rule was always... if the pain didn't go away in a week, I'd go to the chiropractor. Every time, it turned out to be something that was fixable and if I hadn't gone, would have gotten much worse. I still get pain in my knees and my right elbow from time to time from injuries in high school... but for my knees, I do the physical therapy exercises he gave me to do that might help you too...

I'll message them to you. :)
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Thank you all for the feedback. I got the message about the knee exercises too, thanks. :)

I would be surprised if my weight is what's aggravating it - I'm (finally) within what's healthy / normal BMI range...

I put some medicated oil on it last night and through the night / this morning it felt slightly better. If it stays the same or worsens, I will surely take your suggestions. Thanks for the RICE formula.
This discussion has been closed.