Steak ! Help ?

Options
Graelwyn75
Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
Just bought a pack of 6 Sirloin steaks. Not the totally grass fed I wanted which I would have to order online at great cost(in the Uk) but fed on a mixture of grass and cereal, from a high quality Uk shop. I have not had red meat since I was 12 so I need to know how to best cook this and what in ?

I know I could fry in butter, but what about coconut oil ? How can you add more taste if grilling ?

What is the tastiest and easiest way to cook it ?

Replies

• Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Salt, pepper, sear it rare and eat it with a side of something green.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options

How do you sear meat ? Totally new to cooking meat, lol, only done baked chicken so far.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

This, minus the green crap.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

How do you sear meat ? Totally new to cooking meat, lol, only done baked chicken so far.

Over a hot flame
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Do whatever Alton Brown says:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/steak-au-poivre-recipe/index.html :-)

(obviously you can skip the sauce part if you want)
  • violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    Options
    marinade in a low-sodium teriyaki or else slice a garlic clove, make small slits in the meat and insert them. Both of these help the meat stay very juicy and flavorful when grilled.
  • yellknrb
    yellknrb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would recommend using a cast iron skillet or cook on a grill.

I prefer to marinate before grilling but a nice rub of spices is always good. if you marinate the steaks then pat them dry. You can also leave them out a little while allowing them to come down to room temp before sticking on the heat. These both allow for a good sear. And remember the burnt/ color is the best part.

Make sure your grill or skillet is nice and hot to create a good sear. Searing meat over a hot flame will seal in all the juices.

3.5 minutes on each side for a 1 inch steak will yeild a med-rare steak. (my personal preference)

After taking it out of the pan let the meat rest for approximately 5 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute before cutting them or serving. Also the meat will continue to cook even after taking it off the heat.

you can test how done the meat is by pressing on it. If it gives under pressure then it is still pink on the inside and if not then it is cooked through. Steak is best not cooked all the way through and anyone who tells you different is just wrong. :)
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Give me all the steak!
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations guys. Not got a cast iron skillet, so will have to make do with what I do have.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    Well, it tasted amazing... to someone who didn't eat meat for 25 odd years anyway, lol.
    But I think I did something wrong as it was pretty chewy and tough.
    I cooked up some olive oil and butter in a pan, then did each side of the steak for about 4 minutes.
    It was brown - dark brown on the outside, and pink on the inside.
    Maybe it is the kind of steak I bought? Apparently ribeye and some others are better than sirloin ?
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I prefer mine marinated and barbecued, but since I don't have a barbecue at my apartment, I go for seared. Now, it depends on how tough it is. I prefer the non-tough ones, but if I get a good deal on tough cuts, I buy them and marinate them. You'll need to do that at least over night, but for some really tough cuts, even two days in the marinade is better. With more tender cuts, I sprinkle Montreal steak spice on it (I don't know if you would have that in the UK...but SO good!) Here you can buy it with or without salt. I always buy it was salt just because I like it better (it's just a sprinkling anyway). I put a teaspoon or so of olive oil in a non stick pan and cook until well done (I hate rare meat).
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    I prefer mine marinated and barbecued, but since I don't have a barbecue at my apartment, I go for seared. Now, it depends on how tough it is. I prefer the non-tough ones, but if I get a good deal on tough cuts, I buy them and marinate them. You'll need to do that at least over night, but for some really tough cuts, even two days in the marinade is better. With more tender cuts, I sprinkle Montreal steak spice on it (I don't know if you would have that in the UK...but SO good!) Here you can buy it with or without salt. I always buy it was salt just because I like it better (it's just a sprinkling anyway). I put a teaspoon or so of olive oil in a non stick pan and cook until well done (I hate rare meat).

Thanks, I will have to research marinading, it is so embarrassing to have reached my age and never have marinaded anything, lol.
    I guess I simply did not need to since I didn't eat meat.
  • littlelily613
    Options
    But I think I did something wrong as it was pretty chewy and tough.

You probably had a tougher cut is all, and didn't realize those types fare much better marinating for a,long time. Next time, ask your butcher which cuts are tough and which are not. Tender cuts are NOT chewy when you cook them. Tough cuts can be just as good once you make them tender, and marinades can give the steak lots of really yummy flavour!
  • littlelily613
    Options
    I will add, when I marinate my steaks, I NEVER pat them dry as someone above suggested. The sauce has so much flavour in them, I prefer to keep it on, particularly when barbecuing (and if you are barbecuing with a marinade, you do not add BBQ sauce).
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Here's something I like to do when I have beautiful lean tender steak (like london broil)..
    It's super easy, and really delicious.

Slice about 5 oz of the steak REALLY thin (not paper thin).
    Heat a cast iron pan REALLY hot. No need to season.
    Once hot to the point that a drop of water sizzles and vanishes almost instantly,
    lay the thin slices on the cast iron surface. Each piece will need only a few seconds.
    You want the meat to still be a bit pink.
    PIle on a plate, squeeze a lime over, and ENJOY!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It was brown - dark brown on the outside, and pink on the inside.

sounds like you did a nice job cooking it. i'm quite impressed, especially since you haven't eaten it , much less cooked it, in years and years
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I use sea salt, pepper, and rosemary. Pan sear in a hot cast iron skillet with some kerrygold grassfed butter and then oven finish. I like mine medium rare.
  • _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    A little sea salt and on the grill and it must be well done no pink....yeah yeah I know!!
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm not a cook either! What I do is leave my steak out for a bit for it to warm up, whack it with a meat tenderiser then put it in a hot frying pan. No oil or anything although you could use butter? I just cook it until it looks about right- I like it a bit pink on the inside.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Just bought a pack of 6 Sirloin steaks. Not the totally grass fed I wanted which I would have to order online at great cost(in the Uk) but fed on a mixture of grass and cereal, from a high quality Uk shop. I have not had red meat since I was 12

No red meat since you were 12??? You mean, since 12 noon?