Losing inches but not weight?!!?

Options
In my first week I did great, I lost 5lbs - but no inches! It's been 3 weeks since then and I've GAINED 2lbs but lost half an inch around my bum, thighs and tummy. I'm confused! How can i lose inches but not weight? Is this a good thing to be happening? X

Replies

• beccasetsfire
    Options
    If you're gaining muscle while losing weight muscle weighs more than fat...
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    You have lost some weight. I only lost 2 1/2 pound my first month but I did lose inches. If your muscles are sore, they're holding water. Once your body gets used to the exercise, you'll lose that water weight. I lost about 10 pounds my second month. Just don't give up.
  • BeccyBerry
    BeccyBerry Posts: 312
    Options
    I've had the same thing, I lost 3 lbs the first week and this week put on half a lb. But over the two weeks I have lost a total of 2 and a half inches from my thighs, hips, tum and chest. I've been doing Jillians 30 day shred everyday and 3 times a week the winsor pilates. I've been sticking to my calories and only had 1 naughty day where I went over. I should be please i've lost inches but its really disheartening when you dont see the scales move :(
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    If I were you, I'd get a body fat percent tester. I've had to let go of the notion that I need to weigh a certain amount because I do have muscle now and it does weigh more than fat. I am the same size now that I was when I weighed 10 pounds less.
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    In my first week I did great, I lost 5lbs - but no inches! It's been 3 weeks since then and I've GAINED 2lbs but lost half an inch around my bum, thighs and tummy. I'm confused! How can i lose inches but not weight? Is this a good thing to be happening? X

looks like you gained muscle. :)
    losing inches instead of lbs. usually when that happens is when do lose the weight, it takes a while for the size shrinks, which isnt bad at all :) cause from all that work out you are doing it helps tights the muscle in and then it will starts to slim down from any kind of workout that does with muscle and cardio :) congrats :) you might actually notice that you are getting some muscle somewhere around your body :)
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Hi all,losing inches is good,if you are getting fitter your muscle mass is increasing and this weighs more,I dont worry too much about the scales unless I go above a stone over weight then I worry!!! Good luck and stick with it
  • SewRue
    SewRue Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'd be happier losing inches than weight! My first month I didn't understand how I lost 6 inches in my waist and thighs but only lost 10lbs. It's still a bit of a mystery. But it's probably all muscle weight. Which is still better than fat. Muscle takes up less space in the body so if you are gaining muscle and lacking inches. Be proud. Plus muscle weighs more.