Chocolate Milk v Strawberry Milk

deedun
deedun Posts: 361 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I've seen it be mentioned that drinking chocolate milk after a workout is good (but I have no idea why to be honest) and I was looking in the supermarket for some but they only stock Strawberry milk.

So I'm wondering if this is a good alternative and also wondering why chocolate milk is good post workout?

Replies

• marii92
    marii92 Posts: 77
    It's either got something to to do with the calcium or the protein....or both =]
  • mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    I drink a chocolate flavoured protein shake - does that count? I make it with milk too so I get the required calcium and protein.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    The chocolate and the milk together provide a nice powerpunch of carbs, fat, and protein. It's always a good idea to ingest your macro nutrients together like this.
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    It's not the strawberry or chocolate part that counts. It's the milk. Milk is great for recovering from a workout because it has a balanced carb./ protein mix.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    It's not the strawberry or chocolate part that counts. It's the milk. Milk is great for recovering from a workout because it has a balanced carb./ protein mix.

I am not trying to disagree with you, but I have been wondering why all the discussion about _chocolate_ milk and not just regular milk. I've not come up with anything through my Googling/Binging so I would love to see if someone else knows why. My hunch says the additional carbs from the chocolate are ideal for post-workout recovery, but I have no scientific basis for that which I am aware of.

Here's a great article on the chocolate milk as a recovery drink, btw:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/an-objective-comparison-of-chocolate-milk-and-surge-recovery.html
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/24/health/webmd/main1342839.shtml - "The findings suggest that chocolate milk has an optimal ratio of carbohydrates to protein to help refuel tired muscles, researcher Joel M. Stager, PhD, Indiana University kinesiology professor, tells WebMD."

I hadn't heard anything about this - thanks for mentioning it - now I'm off to research more! LOVE that if I work out hard - I can have my chocolate milk... it makes it worth it! LOL!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    When I was training for a triathlon, sometimes the only thing that could get me to go on my runs was knowing that I could have chocolate milk when I was done! I got a container of chocolate Ovaltine and I would mix it in with skim milk, you could try doing that if you can't find premixed chocolate milk. I did it because I wanted to be able to control how much chocolate was going in. If I recall from my reading on the subject, I believe it is also important to use skim milk because fat slows down digestion and following an intense workout is about the only time you actually WANT quick-digesting carbs to replenish your muscles. (Or something like that....)
  • deedun
    When I was training for a triathlon, sometimes the only thing that could get me to go on my runs was knowing that I could have chocolate milk when I was done! I got a container of chocolate Ovaltine and I would mix it in with skim milk, you could try doing that if you can't find premixed chocolate milk. I did it because I wanted to be able to control how much chocolate was going in. If I recall from my reading on the subject, I believe it is also important to use skim milk because fat slows down digestion and following an intense workout is about the only time you actually WANT quick-digesting carbs to replenish your muscles. (Or something like that....)

Thanks I will check that out the next time I'm there.

I bought strawberry milk just to see how it goes and tonight I have a 1hr step class and then straight after I have a 1hr Pump n'lift class so I will need a quick refuelling in between those classes.
  • deedun
    I'm just back from my 2 classes and I have to say I noticed a dramatic improvement in myself after I drank the strawberry milk after the first class. I brought 200ml with me and I had burned over 800 calories in my step class and drank it in the 5 mins breather and for the weights class I was so much more able to lift and concentrate whereas before, my head just wasn't in it.

I'm delighted that it's working for me!
This discussion has been closed.