Cooking and eating Quinoa

Options
I don't know how to cook this or how it tastes...info please!!!

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    It's hard to describe how it tastes. I find it doesn't taste like much iteself. Kinda like rice.

When I cook it I normally will use 1/4 cup quinoa and 1/4 cup water with two or three cubes of my homemade vegetable stock (works out to about 1/2 cup liquid). I boil it in a pot and once the water is gone I add in a tbsp or two of buffalo sauce and mix in cooked, chopped green peppers, broccoli and carrots. Such a great little meal!

Other than that I often mix it half quinoa and half rice... cook like rice. I use it as a base for stir frys... I mix it with some chopped up veggies and stuff a pepper with it. I have also used it as a base for sloppy joes... cook it and press it into a circle mold. Let cool than fry in a pan. Top with sloppy joe mixture. I use this for myself along with TVP than regular for my husband.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Rinse it thoroughly before cooking. It has saponin as a defense purpose against insects, which results in bitter tasting quinoa if you do not rinse it. You can cook it on the stove top or a rice cooker if you have it. I generally cover it with an inch or so of water and add from there to keep it from getting dry.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Check it out!:

http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/basic-quinoa.php

Cooking quinoa or bulgar wheat is quicker than cooking brown rice, so I cook them a lot. I just use a variety of spices depending on my mood. A little bit of coconut milk is always good too.
  • DanielleJoy129
    Options
    The good thing about quinoa is that it takes on the taste of whatever you cook it with.

My favorite ways to eat quinoa are:

For Breakfast: I make it with some cinnamon, brown sugar, sliced strawberries etc. and it tastes like
    really yummy oatmeal!

For Dinner: Add pepper, oregano, thyme, a little Worcester sauce, and it tastes like risotto (kinda lol).

The point is, the texture is really nice, and you can mess with the flavor to make it a side dish to anything.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    The good thing about quinoa is that it takes on the taste of whatever you cook it with.

My favorite ways to eat quinoa are:

For Breakfast: I make it with some cinnamon, brown sugar, sliced strawberries etc. and it tastes like
    really yummy oatmeal!

For Dinner: Add pepper, oregano, thyme, a little Worcester sauce, and it tastes like risotto (kinda lol).

The point is, the texture is really nice, and you can mess with the flavor to make it a side dish to anything.

The Cinnamon, Brown Sugar and Strawberries sounds yummy!!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I cook it with chicken stock and garlic as a side with chicken breast. Or, I make it with water and add onion, tomato and garlic with a little olive oil...can eat it hot or cold like a "salad".
  • natashalh1998
    natashalh1998 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have wanted to try it but didn't know how or what to cook it with. Thanks for the ideas.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I just eat it with some hot sauce. You can cook it right in a rice cooker using the white rice setting
  • theshow4jsu
    theshow4jsu Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I usually cook it in a 2-1 ratio with water and a pinch of salt. I like it with pintos. Goes really well with them.
  • Smash323
    Smash323 Posts: 16
    Options
    The first time I made quinoa, I prepared it simply with just water, and then used it as an ingredient in a quinoa-egg-cheese-spinach cup, which I baked in muffin tins for convenience. I found it to have a very slight nutty or earthy flavor when I tasted it before adding it to the egg mixture, which after baking brought that flavor out a little more.

^^Yes!

I've been meaning to cook quinoa the same way I make risotto to see how it tastes. I usually do chicken stock, garlic, cracked pepper, oregano, basil, any other Italian seasonings that call out to me that day, and in the last 10 minute I add a tablespoon of grated parmesan. I'm going to try it now that I know someone has tested the waters!

I've also wondered if you could use quinoa in cous cous, which I have only made a couple of times from a box. It seems like a good fit with the flavors.