Scale trials

Options
Ok, I want to get one of those fancy thing-a-mijigs that you stand on and it tells you your weight and BF% or BMI or whatever...I'm wondering if there is a certain brand or model I should get or if they are all pretty much the same. Thanks in advance for the recommendations!

Replies

• nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004L6NTHU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this one this week after reading a MFP'er had purchased one and was happy with it.

I :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: mine.

It's as accurate as I need it to be :laugh: and has taken all the guesswork out of what-the-hell-is-going-on-nowww????
    My husband also find it useful. We're both trying to reduce our bodyfat % and are interested in maintaining muscle.

You can't beat it for the price, the reviews are glowing and even better....the customer support is fantastic :love: by all accounts.
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Bump-come on folks, this is way more interesting than discussing thrift store clothes or whatever! :laugh:
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Don't get one. Waste of money. Inaccurate.

Go to a supplement store like GNC and buy a set of body fat calipers if you want to know your body fat (and you should know) and use those. They are more accurate than a scale. The scale cannot measure the difference in fat and muscle when you step on it.
  • Celestialfairie
    Options
    I really want to get the one made by FitBit, since it links with my FitBit. But wow, $$$.
  • graciepecie
    graciepecie Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I heard they're very inaccurate. Don't spend your money on those scales.
  • cmherb76
    cmherb76 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my WiThings scale! It even syncs with MFP.

http://www.withings.com/
  • miche_smash
    miche_smash Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have heard that home scales are not accurate in measuring body fat. I have one that supposedly measures it, but I've lost 27 lbs and the body fat % has hardly changed, or moves up and down but seems to hover around the same number.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I've heard folks say they're not accurate as well. Since I'm not training for competition, I only need it to be as accurate as I can approximate. I also keep hearing that it takes some degree of skill to use the calipers, but hey, whaddoIknow? :laugh:

According to all the current online calculators, I am currently btw 30 and 35% bf. I googled quite a bit of pics to see what that looked like, It is well in line with what I look like in me undies :huh:

My scale says 36%. I'm good with that in terms of 'accurate enough for me'. Even an inaccurate scale will still tell you when you've lost, the only thing that will be wrong is the starting and ending figure. Shrug.

I purchased that particular scale because of the amazon reviews. :drinker:

Besides, mine was only 55$ or so. I've pissed away a hell of a lot more $$ on more trivial stuff, I figured wth :bigsmile: