1200 cal minimum? Total consumed or net?

Options
I've heard that one should never consume less than 1200 calories a day. However, I NET 1200 AFTER exercise. I'm doing spin classes, running, zumba and outdoor cycling. I'm not losing any weight.

So shouldn't I consume even less to actually net LESS than 1200?

For example, today so far I've consumed 573, exercised off 255 and MFP says I have 882 remaining. If I consume 882 isn't that too much? I should be in the negative, right?

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    No, it shouldn't be negative.

MFP includes a built-in daily calorie deficit whether you exercise or not. So on days you DO exercise, you need to eat back your extra earned calories to maintain the same daily calorie deficit.

Always NET at least 1200 calories. So eat those remaining 882 calories.
  • dianerides
    dianerides Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks Bizco. That's what I thought, but I'm not losing anything. Granted, I've only been strictly adhering for two weeks, but I made the mistake of getting on the scale yesterday to see I'd gained 2 lbs.

I only need to lose 20 lbs, and was hoping to accomplish that before the 4th of July, but now I'm not so optimistic.

Thanks again!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Give it time. Two pounds is within normal daily fluctuation--if you've been eating at a deficit for two weeks there's no way you gained two pounds of fat.
  • dianerides
    dianerides Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks majope. Yes, I will give it time. I also will not weigh every week. I think it better to go by how I feel right now. I just looked at your profile, and I'm with you - I HATE my belly!