FRUIT/VEGGIE SMOOTHIES

Options
2»

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Keep making smoothies--don't juice! Same calories, plus fiber.

I agree with this too. Less mess also.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    My basic green smoothie recipe is (makes two big smoothies):
    1 1/4 cup water
    1 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
    1 scoop (28g) Unsweetened Vanilla Protein Powder
    85g Spinach
    71g Kale
    85-100g Carrots
    75-90g Bell Pepper (red or green, I prefer red, but buy whichever is cheaper)
    90-105g Radishes
    25-28g Avocado (about ¼ of a medium sized one)
    55-65g Frozen banana (about half an average banana, just buy them cheap, peel ‘em, and keep them in a bag in the freezer)
    55-65g Frozen fruit (rotated between strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and pineapple, just by whatever is on sale and stick it in bags in the freezer)
    Juice of one lemon

Put it all in the blender and blend until smooth. It yields two almost three cup sized smoothies, at about 200-240 calories each, depending on the variable ingredients. They work awesomely as a breakfast or lunch replacement, or an afternoon snack between lunch and dinner. I typically made it up the night before and threw them in plastic bottles for the hubby and I the next day.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Keep making smoothies--don't juice! Same calories, plus fiber.

I agree with this too. Less mess also.

And quoting this for additional truth on the statement. :)
  • thinthoughts
    Options
    Nonfat, plain greek yogurt is always in mine. I like mine pretty cold, so i usually add 1/2 frozen banana and the frozen berries that i pre package up together in baggies so i just have to grab one and add whatever else. In the past i've also added almonds, oatmeal on the advise of others, that was ok but it will end up being less of a smooth texture. Have fun with it and just try different things out, you'll stumble across the ones that you love.
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I use a high power blender and blend up a veggie shake pretty much daily. I like mine with kale, spinach, celery, carrot or kiwi. I also add a tablespoon of chia seeds and ground flax and 1/2 a tablespoon of coconut oil add some water and delicious or at least very healthy.
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    This is what's great about this site. The help that comes from the community. So many delicious and healthy ideas. I started just this morning with a juice, apple, pear, rockmelon, celery, with some wheatgrass powder. These are the ingredients I had left in the fridge. So thought before I went shopping would get some ideas from here and WOW! Will buy myself a blender next week. As I agree the juicer is a lot of work, messy and I was thinking about all that lost fibre.
  • Carol_Magee
    Carol_Magee Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump