Are forums a lazy persons way not to research?

Options
I looked through My Fitness Pal's tutorials, the FAQs, and watched Youtube videos on features; it answered a lot of my questions. I've found out an eating schedule that works for me through trial and error: adjusting for what works best for me. I am subscribed to fitness channels on Youtube, read up on studies about exercise and nutrition, watched documentaries about a variety of different food topics like agriculture, dangers of sugar, juicing etc. I've weeded out the information that doesn't make sense to me and generally used common sense this whole weight loss journey.

Do you get frustrated when people jump on the forums and questions that could've taken 4 seconds to type in a search bar? I just find that there are personality types that don't understand that this is a lifestyle change and not a fad diet or book or pill that you take that will help you with your goals.

The most "ranty" way to explain I how I feel is: If people are too lazy to look something up they could do while sitting, are they really going to cook healthy meals, exercise, log their food properly? A successful person strives in every facet as much as possible because everything is related. Once you assume one thing is separate or not integral to another part you've missed the point.

Replies

• wrests
    wrests Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    So, in some ways, for some questions, forums are the easy way out. But with nutrition, there are so many conflicting opinions, and so much 'common knowledge' that it can be really easy to get lost. At times, it's best to stand on the shoulders of others. They KNOW what works, they have b&a pictures, and can be seen as authority figures in this 'journey'.
    In other ways, it's totally irritating to see people who have bypassed all of the FAQ's and come to the forum to ask if vegetables have calories. And sadly, these people are often the ones that won't weather a plateau, and will jump ship after a short while. But I try not to assume they're all like that. I try to assume that they're exactly where I was when I first started, lost and needing a direction to be pointed in and maybe in need of someone to say, for the first time, that they CAN do it, but they don't know how to ask so they lamely post a topic asking if vegetables have calories.
    Ultimately I think I feel like forums are a more social person's way of asking for help and navigating the mines of weight loss. More irritating to me are the gross old people on the chat forum that come just shy of cybering and overuse this emote : :drinker:
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I don't feel it's lazy. People want interaction, they won't get that from a search bar.

That said, there is often much more information contained in search results than can possibly be conveyed in a single thread. Sometimes a search is more effective.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    You mean, are these a great way for people new to fitness and health to ask other's experience and for help? Yes. Exactly.

Lazy is apretty negative word.
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I do my research as well. I use the forums as a way to see what REAL people's REAL results are. Seeing how much it varies can kinda be my indicator that hey, this may or may not be for me... If that makes any sense..
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    If you use the search function, this question has already been answered.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Yes. And searching previous forums is too hard as well.

Pet peeve.
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    also i like when people give advice without doing any research on it before hand. monkey see monkey do.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people in our society are self-centered as well and they think that their challenges and feelings have only happened to them, and they need to get the answers from the common folk. Then there are some looking for validation.

All in all, its not too bad.
  • VeeBethTris
    VeeBethTris Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You mean, are these a great way for people new to fitness and health to ask other's experience and for help? Yes. Exactly.

Lazy is apretty negative word.

^5
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    i dunno....when i was a newbie...i searched through the forums at first...then asked my own FL for suggestions....
    sometimes a newbie just needs to ask the question and get some supportive or smack on the butt answers to get themselves off to a start.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Nah, I dont get annoyed. You dont even have to open the post up. You can just skip on by. Sucks that someone is forcing you to open them up. I'm sorry.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Research?

I just like to argue and make fun of people,
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    More irritating to me are the gross old people on the chat forum

At what age do we old people become "gross"?
  • knwells16
    knwells16 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have done my research. I use the forum to see how my research has actually worked on REAL people. It is nice to see how this or that has worked for other people who are in the same situation as I am. That and there is the social aspect of talking to a person (people) other than your computer search bar
  • Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    Options
    I definitely do my fair share of research, but for me, the forums offer personal experience and anecdotal advice. You may have to take it with a grain of salt, but it can also be tremendously helpful.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I'm an attorney. When I hear a problem, I do as you did, i.e., research and consider possible and probably answers. I also, however, seek counsel/input from other attorneys in my firm. Their input does a number of things for me--it helps me re-evaluate my conclusions (and thus become either more convinced of them or less attached to them), it helps me think of approaches to the problem I'd not previously considered, it potentially gives me other previously unconsidered reasons of why my conclusions are correct, it confirms that my thought process was what I wanted it to be, etc.

I think many people who post a question already have an answer in mind and are just seeking some level of validation or course correction, etc. The others, for whom laziness might be the major motivating factor (as you hypothesize), don't bother me. It's no skin off my nose if they want to "cheat". (Frankly, even if they WERE "cheating" I think I'd call them "efficient" rather than "lazy.") If anything, I like responding to people's questions because doing so confirms, and re-confirms, in my mind the answers I have and the thought processes I engaged in order to arrive at those particular conclusions.

I will say, however, that I do think people could benefit from searching previous threads more often than they do. Why re-invent the wheel?
  • wrests
    wrests Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    More irritating to me are the gross old people on the chat forum

At what age do we old people become "gross"?
    People at any age telling each other what a nice *kitten* they have on a public forum count as gross, in my book. These just happen to be parent/grandparent age.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I don't do research here. Are you kidding?

I use the forums for

-trolling
    -****-talking
    -lurking
    -general mockery

Also, to find sweet water recipes.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I looked through My Fitness Pal's tutorials, the FAQs, and watched Youtube videos on features; it answered a lot of my questions. I've found out an eating schedule that works for me through trial and error: adjusting for what works best for me. I am subscribed to fitness channels on Youtube, read up on studies about exercise and nutrition, watched documentaries about a variety of different food topics like agriculture, dangers of sugar, juicing etc. I've weeded out the information that doesn't make sense to me and generally used common sense this whole weight loss journey.

Do you get frustrated when people jump on the forums and questions that could've taken 4 seconds to type in a search bar? I just find that there are personality types that don't understand that this is a lifestyle change and not a fad diet or book or pill that you take that will help you with your goals.

The most "ranty" way to explain I how I feel is: If people are too lazy to look something up they could do while sitting, are they really going to cook healthy meals, exercise, log their food properly? A successful person strives in every facet as much as possible because everything is related. Once you assume one thing is separate or not integral to another part you've missed the point.

No. Not at all. The whole spirit of mfp is to help others.

Some folks new to mfp are making a new start in their lives and may not be savvy in navigating their way around the site.

Sure, they could google, but why not ask people who have had real experiences of what they are dealing with?? If you think people are lazy etc, then move on...