Do I Add Excerise I Get From Work Into my Log? Or..

Options
does my TDEE for how many calories I can have already consider that? hmm, ?

Replies

• laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE should include that, but you should make sure your activity level is set as accurately as possible. What do you do for work, and what extra exercise do you do?
  • Supastarrnikki
    Options
    I go to the gym for extra excerise, but at work im constantly on my feet moving, walking, and lifting things in the morning.
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have myself set as sedentary though I'm anything but, because the walking I do at work varies a lot. I track it with a pedometer, and ignore all the stairs. I work at different sites on different days, so my walking varies between 5 and 15 miles...
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    The activity level setting should take care of that. :smile:
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you set your settings. No if you put that you were active at work, yes if you put sedentary.

You can adjust that here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I work in a restaurant, and recently got a fitbit. I can eat A LOT more on days I work. Sometimes I hit 20,000 steps a shift.
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym for extra excerise, but at work im constantly on my feet moving, walking, and lifting things in the morning.

I would put your activity level as moderately active, then eat all of the calories you're given, but don't track your exercise since you set your activity level. Or you can follow In Place of a Roadmap (I do, it's great): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912914-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • Supastarrnikki
    Options
    Thank you guys :) But now im really confused. MFP tells me to have 1200 calories, and Fat 2 Fit radio tells me to have like 2500, and almost 1800 when im doing like nothing.. Im currently trying to stay around 1200 but its been tough,
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys :) But now im really confused. MFP tells me to have 1200 calories, and Fat 2 Fit radio tells me to have like 2500, and almost 1800 when im doing like nothing.. Im currently trying to stay around 1200 but its been tough,

You're looking at two completely different methods.

MFP doesn't use your TDEE, it uses your NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis)...everything you do in a day besides actually exercising. NEAT + Exercise = TDEE. This is why you eat back actual exercise calories on MFP whereas you would not with the TDEE method.

Also, your TDEE is maintenance. If you use the TDEE method for weight loss you need TDEE - XX% for weight loss. Also, your MFP goal is based on a 2 Lb per week avg weight loss...pretty aggressive for many. TDEE - 20% or so is usually more in the neighborhood of 1 Lb per week and is much more realistic for many.

My guess is that 2,500 and 1,800 are your actual TDEE (maintenance) numbers...so if you did TDEE - 20% it would be 2,000 and 1,440 respectively. Don't do it for active days/non-active days. Just average activity level over the course of the week unless you want to get into calorie cycling...IMHO, best to start out simple and progress though. Sounds like you'd be good around 1,600 or 1,700 calories with the TDEE method...and that would include everything.

Also remember that you want to include everything in TDEE if you're using that method...your NEAT and Exercise. If you do MFP, eat your exercise calories back.
  • smunchkin2000
    smunchkin2000 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I figure that i gained the weight doing the walking and stuff while I'm at work, so I don't count that in my daily exercise. I work out daily on the treadmill and that's all I enter for exercise. It is hard to follow more that one weight loss program at a time. I would just pick one to follow and stick to the guidelines on that plan. MFP works if you stay under the calorie goals and be sure to track everything....EVERYTHING!!!!

good luck
  • Supastarrnikki
    Options
    Gahh im so confused its not even funny. So I should just forget everything else and stick to what MFP tells me?? And eat back the calories? If I don't eat the calories back is it going to slow down my metabolism rate or whatever or help me lose the fat faster?
  • Grognit
    Grognit Posts: 50
    Options
    Do you have your goal here set to 2 lbs a week? If so - don't. Change it to a lb and see what the number is. Then eat back your exercise calories on top of that.

If you are going to go with the tdee - pick your activity level - minus 15-20% from that and don't eat back your exercise calories.

When I chose 1/2 pound a week the calories that MFP give me are pretty darn close to my TDEE - 15%
  • Supastarrnikki
    Options
    I want 2lbs a week though. But obviously somthing isnt working right.. Ive been doing this almost 2 weeks and I lost like a pound a couple days ago but gained it back, so I havnt lost anything.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Gahh im so confused its not even funny. So I should just forget everything else and stick to what MFP tells me?? And eat back the calories? If I don't eat the calories back is it going to slow down my metabolism rate or whatever or help me lose the fat faster?

Personally, I think you should take a less aggressive approach than 2 Lbs per week. You will note that the MFP recommended is 1 Lb per week. You only have 25 Lbs to lose...my guess is that you'll stall fairly quickly being that aggressive with little to lose. With 25 Lbs to lose, you should be around 1 Lb per week...general rule of thumb:

75 Lb + : 2 Lbs per week
    30-75 Lbs : 1.5 Lbs per week
    10-30 Lbs: 1 Lb per week
    <10 Lbs: 1/2 Lb per week

The less you have to lose, the less responsive your body is to your attempts to shed the fat and the quicker your body will stall out your metabolism as a ***** slap. Your body ultimately wants to hold onto fat...it loves fat, because your body is smart and knows that extra fat is extra fuel for emergencies. When you go to fast, it's like telling a thrifty person that such and such costs $500...they freak out and back out...but when you tell them it's only 25 installments of $20...well, that doesn't sound so bad, even though it's the same exact thing.

For simplicity sake, change to 1 Lb per week goal and eat back exercise calories with MFP method. In the end, it generally works itself out to be 6 of 1, half dozen of the other.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Yes, stick to one way of calculating things. To keep things simple, go for MFP and log your exercise, making sure to eat back the calories. That's the way I understand it!
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    I want 2lbs a week though. But obviously somthing isnt working right.. Ive been doing this almost 2 weeks and I lost like a pound a couple days ago but gained it back, so I havnt lost anything.

Your body doesn't give a **** what your brain wants...see my other post above.
  • Supastarrnikki
    Options

I saw the post, I just really WANT to lose these 25 lbs fast.. I switched it to 1lb a week and now it wants me to eat 1600 calories, lol. That seems like alot now.
  • Grognit
    Grognit Posts: 50
    Options
    If you haven't lost anything then try the 1 lb a week. I think I read that you wanted to lose 30lbs - 2 lbs a week doesn't usually work for smaller weight loss amounts.

I am losing the last 19 lbs to get to where I was prior to quitting smoking. I did the 1200 calorie thing, ate back my exercise calories but was set to 2lbs a week. It didn't work. I lost 2 lbs total in a month and a half.

I now have mine set here to lose 1/2 lb a week with active as my modifier - it gives me 1670 calories to eat (1600 is my tdee-15%). I eat to 1600 calories and above some days and have gone from 162 lbs to 154 lbs. And I am not hungry, I am not crabby and I feel better now than I have ever before.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

I saw the post, I just really WANT to lose these 25 lbs fast.. I switched it to 1lb a week and now it wants me to eat 1600 calories, lol. That seems like alot now.

Fast and weight loss do not make good bed fellows. I'm about 15 Lbs from my goal...when all is said and done it will have taken me about 9 months to a year to lose 40 total Lbs. Slow and steady wins the race. Fast usually leads to frequent and long lasting plateaus...trying to lose 25 Lbs fast could easily turn into a year long ordeal trying to go fast...when going slow could get it done in 4-5 months.
  • Supastarrnikki
    Options
    I cannot it see it taking 4-5 months to lose 25 pounds, it can't..