Let's get back to the BASICS

ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
So many threads that are diverting the reason why most are on here in the first place...............getting to an acceptable weight for themselves.

So back to the BASICS.

Moderate calorie Deficit
Get in your correct macro/micro nutrients
Do exercise that you will follow through with the rest of you life (some strength and cardio combo seems to work best)
Get the right amount of rest

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Way too many steps bro. Can you sum it up in one or less? :p
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member

for the clicking disabled
    Our basic premise is that losing weight should not be that complicated. There is so much micromanaging that we see that misses the big picture of weight loss, which is the fundamental concept of the energy balance: if calories in are less than calories out, you will be in an energy deficit and will lose weight. Conversely, if calories in are more than are more than calories out, you will be in an energy surplus and will gain weight.

So, with that said:

- Eat within a reasonable caloric intake for your goals. (See http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets for more details of setting this intake)

- Hit your macros for body composition (protein), energy (carbs) and healthy body function (fats) (see link above for more details on setting these)

- Resistance train to retain LBM on a caloric deficit or gain on a caloric surplus. Do cardio if you want.

- Rest

- Repeat

- Stop complicating it. Unless you have a medical condition that indicates otherwise, you do not have to eat ‘clean’, restrict a food group, restrict a macro, cleanse, detox, time your meals, or anything else to lose weight. Eat a diet that comprises nutrient dense foods and enjoy treats as long as they fit into your macros (see also http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym ).

- Be patient

- Eat ice-cream every day...okay, you don't have to do that one, but there is no reason you cannot. The point is - dieting is hard enough, don't over complicate it or make it harder than it has to be.

Another on topic read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/841305-corn-used-my-man-parts-as-a-speedbag
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member

for the clicking disabled
    Our basic premise is that losing weight should not be that complicated. There is so much micromanaging that we see that misses the big picture of weight loss, which is the fundamental concept of the energy balance: if calories in are less than calories out, you will be in an energy deficit and will lose weight. Conversely, if calories in are more than are more than calories out, you will be in an energy surplus and will gain weight.

So, with that said:

- Eat within a reasonable caloric intake for your goals. (See http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets for more details of setting this intake)

- Hit your macros for body composition (protein), energy (carbs) and healthy body function (fats) (see link above for more details on setting these)

- Resistance train to retain LBM on a caloric deficit or gain on a caloric surplus. Do cardio if you want.

- Rest

- Repeat

- Stop complicating it. Unless you have a medical condition that indicates otherwise, you do not have to eat ‘clean’, restrict a food group, restrict a macro, cleanse, detox, time your meals, or anything else to lose weight. Eat a diet that comprises nutrient dense foods and enjoy treats as long as they fit into your macros (see also http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym ).

- Be patient

- Eat ice-cream every day...okay, you don't have to do that one, but there is no reason you cannot. The point is - dieting is hard enough, don't over complicate it or make it harder than it has to be.

Another on topic read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/841305-corn-used-my-man-parts-as-a-speedbag
    For the people who need to see it twice before reading it.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    People on here seem to prefer complicated!!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member

Moderate calorie Deficit
    Do exercise that you will follow through with the rest of you life (some strength and cardio combo seems to work best)

TL;DR

j/k :bigsmile: Good stuff!
  • Cat_Lifts
    Cat_Lifts Posts: 174 Member
    A basic question here! If you're currently at a 500 calorie daily deficit, and you incorporate cardio, is it still necessary to perform if you're already at a deficit? Or is cardio most useful for weight loss factors including:

a) exercise enjoyment
    b) creating a further deficit to just be able to consume more calories, or
    c) you overeat, gotta work it off, cardio and/or weightlifting help get you back down to the goal daily deficit

I do weight lifting to keep my LBM in check and am not the biggest fan of cardio. If I know I'll be having a cheat day or a few drinks with friends, I'll hit up the elliptical to start furthering my deficit. But if I'm consistently consuming 1750 cals a day (550 below my supposed maintenance level) and don't have cheat days, then is cardio even necessary? Thank you. :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Word brotha!!
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Roger that!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member

Pfft, far too much common sense in there - it'll never catch on.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Damn straight!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    A basic question here! If you're currently at a 500 calorie daily deficit, and you incorporate cardio, is it still necessary to perform if you're already at a deficit? Or is cardio most useful for weight loss factors including:

a) exercise enjoyment
    b) creating a further deficit to just be able to consume more calories, or
    c) you overeat, gotta work it off, cardio and/or weightlifting help get you back down to the goal daily deficit

I do weight lifting to keep my LBM in check and am not the biggest fan of cardio. If I know I'll be having a cheat day or a few drinks with friends, I'll hit up the elliptical to start furthering my deficit. But if I'm consistently consuming 1750 cals a day (550 below my supposed maintenance level) and don't have cheat days, then is cardio even necessary? Thank you. :)
    You don't NEED to do cardio for weight loss, but for overall health, doing a some cardio is desirable.

IDEA Fitness member
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    What I call cardio, some people call everyday life. LOL. I'm working my way up to lifting. In fact, I am waiting on a couple of weightlifting books for beginners from Amazon. Then.....watch out! The goddess in me is coming out guys.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    So many threads that are diverting the reason why most are on here in the first place...............getting to an acceptable weight for themselves.

So back to the BASICS.

Moderate calorie Deficit

IDEA Fitness member

Thanks much *Heading out for my night run*
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member

So back to the BASICS.

Moderate calorie Deficit

IDEA Fitness member

Genius! And True!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    but what about ketones and cleansing...??? I don't want to eat less and work out more ...waaaaaaaaaaaaaa I want a quick fix, see!

sorry ..

back to regular programming..

I agree 100% ....there is too much "magic pill BS" floating around lately....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    What I call cardio, some people call everyday life. LOL. I'm working my way up to lifting. In fact, I am waiting on a couple of weightlifting books for beginners from Amazon. Then.....watch out! The goddess in me is coming out guys.

hell yea, get some girl!
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Dear OP:

I am glad you posted this. I have been meaning to ask some questions for a few days, this may be my opportunity.

What is a macro and a micronutrient and how do we measure them or rather know how many of each we need?

If my TDEE is 2400 and MFP says to eat 1200 and I want to lose 25 lbs do you recommend eating 2400 calories and then burning off 1200 in exercise to get to 1200 by day's end? If so then what do I do when I take a day off from exercise? Just eat 1200 calories? (actually, this doesn't sound right). Naturally, all my body wants to consume is about 1400 - 1700. There is probably no way I could eat more, I would blow up. I do cardio only now, but am starting lifting in ten days. I should wait til I lift to up my calories or I will never work all that off via cardio unless I do Zumba plus something else. daily

Also how do I figure protein grams for my daily intake. I want to weigh about 120 lbs. Is it 120 grams that I need or is it another calculation to mean a percentage of my calories should be protein. Given all the numbers I gave you, how do I figure my protein.

Thanks in advance.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member

So back to the BASICS.

Moderate calorie Deficit

IDEA Fitness member

WAY WAY WAY too much common sense here. I am looking for that magic pill.