Smoothie Diet to kick start the new me!

Options
I'm new to the site and I am happy with the ease of use it offers. I'm on a Smoothie Diet to kick start my weight loss and I am pleased thus far. I'm not hungry all the time and I make my Smoothies so they are delicious. I think the key to my smoothies keeping me full is the fact that I add Whey Protein. I'm trying to stick to a nutrition ratio of 50% carbs, 45% protein, 5% fat. Everyone's body type is different and I lift weights for mass building lean muscle so I have a higher protein need than most people. I'm trying this ratio first and I will do carb cycling and switch to a 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat ratio to keep my body guessing. It's not an exact science and some days are easier than other but I'm just in the induction phase and figuring out my menu is a big challenge.

Anyway, I can go on and on about diet, weight training, etc. If anyone wants to chat about my Smoothie Diet feel free to post!

Replies

• medtrans79
    Options
    I would love to know some of your recipes. It sounds like a very easy breakfast or lunch idea.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I think the key to my smoothies keeping me full is the fact that I add Whey Protein. I'm trying to stick to a nutrition ratio of 50% carbs, 45% protein, 5% fat.

This is my opinion and based on my own research, Although fat has a bad rap it is essential in being healthy and 5% is nowhere enough fat for your body to function optimally. in a 2000 cal diet 5% fat is only 11 grams of fat per day. If you are at a 1200 calorie diet 5% fat would only be 7 grams. You may want to rethink this and maybe change to 45,35,20, carbs, protein, fat. Good luck and welcome to the site.

"Fats are required in the production and regulation of hormones, including: leptin (which tells the body when to eat and when it is satisfied), and adenopecton (involved in both glucose and lipid metabolism). Fats are also required to assimilate the fat-soluble vitamins: A, D, E, and K, and are also needed for the synthesis of certain minerals, including calcium and magnesium. A diet low in fat or devoid of fat will cause serious deficiencies.
    As explained, fat is a necessary component of the diet. We learned that it is responsible for proper brain function, hormone production, energy production, among other things. If you understand this basic fact, the next question you may want to ask yourself is, "what happens to the body on a low-fat diet?"

A diet low in fats will ultimately show signs of deficiency, or malnutrition. Some common conditions that are associated with lack of proper dietary fat include:
    Fatigue
    Depression
    Hormonal imbalance
    Memory loss
    Loss of concentration
    Metabolic disorder
    These result from either hormone imbalance or vitamin deficiencies from the lack of fat present in the diet."