Grad school and working-where's the time?!

Options
I'm a 24 year old graduate student, who is going to school full time as well as working a full time job. On a typical day, I'll leave my house at 7 am to work 8-4, then I have classes at night from 6-9 pm. By the time I get home, I have school work to do, or I'm just TOO tired walk up the stairs, let alone to work out. Weekend rolls around and I just want to sleep :(
I was doing really well with MFP and lost about 20 lbs on it until school started-now I'm up 5 lbs and not sure what to do about it. Eating well is really hard when I'm constantly on the go, but I'm making more efforts with healthy eating.

I'm wondering if anyone out there might have some tips for me on how to get motivated or find the time to work out. Or if anyone has been/is in the same position as me and can let me know how they did it.

I felt so good when I was working out, and I'm dying to get back on it!!

Replies

• Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    Options
    I do not miss grad school!

I'd try to stick to a strict routine that included packing a gym bag with clothes, towel, shower stuff etc so that I could go to the gym right after work on my way to class each day. It's going to suck in the beginning, but you will soon adjust and may even find that you have more energy! Different things will work for different people, but I've never been much of a home work out person....going into the gym or making it outside for a long walk/run is very important to me, and it seems like your 4-6pm time might be the best opportunity.
  • littlemzkitty
    littlemzkitty Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation, work 8-5 then have class from 7-10 two nights a week. My school has a gym on campus and I will fit in a 30 min workout between work and class (and a quick shower). And I have found that by working out more I am no longer falling asleep in class. Up until recently I wanted to do nothing on the weekends but sleep, but for the past two weeks I have been forcing myself to do something, even if it's just my small stepper while watching TV.

I only allow myself to make plans on either Saturday OR Sunday, not both. That way I can fit in the housework, homework and workout on at least one of the days. Also, I've been trying to get up by 6AM so I can walk before going to work (my puppy appreciates that). It is not easy, and there are days when I just don't want to do anything but sit on the couch and watch TV (which is when I try to get on my stepper).

It is not easy, and I hate having to pack a breakfast, lunch and dinner. But I know it will be worth it.
  • megskee
    megskee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, this is all really helpful! I do have a gym at my school, and right now I have a couple of hours between work and school..Once the weather gets nice (and stays nice) I'll give getting up in the morning to go for a run a shot. I'm really going to try to make the best of my time!