Vegetarian or vegan.

Options
olDave
olDave Posts: 557 Member
I read one person's profile that stated she was a "vegetarian" for a number of years and then became a "vegan" off and on since then.

Thinking there was no difference, I looked both up.

I STILL think there is no difference.

Any comments?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Vegetarians can eat milk, eggs, honey, butter, cheese, etc. Vegans don't.

Vegetarians still eat food produced by an animal (just not the animals themselves). Vegans eat only plant (and I suppose lab) sourced food.
  • fvolley
    fvolley Posts: 124
    Options
    Vegetarians can eat milk, eggs, honey, butter, cheese, etc. Vegans don't.

Vegetarians still eat food produced by an animal (just not the animals themselves). Vegans eat only plant (and I suppose lab) sourced food.

^^^ This.

Another was to say it is that Vegetarians can eat products that come out of an animal or made from something an animal produces but they don't eat animal.

A Vegan eats nothing that's comes from in any way shape or form from an animal.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Wikipedia says..."A vegan, or STRICT VEGETARIAN, diet excludes all animal products, including eggs, dairy, beeswax and honey. Vegans also avoid animal products such as leather for clothing and goose-fat for shoe polish."

So....a vegan is nothing more than a "strict vegetarian".

Sort of like calling the Lutheran religion "Catholic light".---Robin Williams.:smile:
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Wikipedia says..."A vegan, or STRICT VEGETARIAN, diet excludes all animal products, including eggs, dairy, beeswax and honey. Vegans also avoid animal products such as leather for clothing and goose-fat for shoe polish."

Sort of like calling the Lutheran religion "Catholic light".---Robin Williams.:smile:
    Sometimes people use the term "strict vegetarian" interchangeably with "vegan." If you want to get technical with it, what most people call a vegetarian is an ovo-lacto vegetarian. Some people are just ovo vegetarian (consumes eggs, but not dairy) and some people are lacto vegetarian (consumes dairy, but not eggs). Hopefully this clarifies it a bit more.
  • fvolley
    fvolley Posts: 124
    Options

Sometimes people use the term "strict vegetarian" interchangeably with "vegan." If you want to get technical with it, what most people call a vegetarian is an ovo-lacto vegetarian. Some people are just ovo vegetarian (consumes eggs, but not dairy) and some people are lacto vegetarian (consumes dairy, but not eggs). Hopefully this clarifies it a bit more.

^^^ This again^^^ This person knows what they are talking about. Listen to them. =]
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I never completely understood because some people say "vegetarian" and just mean "I don't eat meat" while others say "vegetarian" and mean "I don't eat meat or other animal products".

From what I believe,
    Vegetarian = No meat, No Eggs, No Dairy
    Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian = No Meat Only
    (I think it can also be broken down into lacto vegetarian or ovo vegetarian if for some reason somebody's okay with one but not the other)
    Vegan = Someone who follows an entire lifestyle of avoiding the consumption of animal foods and drinks as well as the use of animal products, period. No animal clothing, and no hygein products with animal products or that were tested on animals. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Personally I never understood how you could morally object to eating meat but not morally object to eating eggs & dairy. And if it's about health that doesn't make sense to me either because I don't believe dairy is any healthier than meat... but that's beside the point.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    People can be vegetarian for reasons other than animal rights. Veganism is more of a philosophy than just what you eat or don't eat. They typically believe in animal rights and don't use anything that comes from animals as well.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options

Sort of like a teetotaller is just a strict version of someone who only drinks 5 days a week?

All vegans are vegetarians but certainly not all vegetarians are vegan. There's quite a big difference between to two. Just like all squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

I vegan is a form of vegetarian. Not sure how that's hard to grasp. There is a difference, in most cases a vegan doesn't only not eat meat, dairy, and eggs, but they also will not use anything that comes from an animal like leather, fur, wool, avoid certain products that contain animals or are tested on animals..ect. A vegan diet just means they don't consume animals or animal by products in their diet.