How skinny is too skinny?

Options
I am having trouble picking my goal.. I originally thought I wanted to be 105 pounds, (I am 5'2 and female) but am now wondering if I should change my goal. 105 is in the healthy range for a bmi, but Im not sure if I would look too skinny that way. I was considering moving my goal... I dunno what to do! Thoughts? thanks :)

Replies

• CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    You could set your goal for 110 and see what you think.
    Isn't it all up to the individual anyway?
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    youre too skinny when you can see your bones and when you cant run a mile without stopping because you are weak
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    There's no fixed answer to that. What weight are you now? I find it more useful to have a dress size as a goal rather than a rather arbitrary number on a scale .
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I can say personally at 5'2" I got down to 105 and now when I look back at pictures I was def borderline too skinny. (Fairly small frame pear shape). I ended up at 108 and maintained there till I got pregnant. If that helps at all lol. I feel I looked best at the 110-115 mark personally....
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Well I'm sure you'll hear many things about this as many like to bash low weights around here. It all depends on how you're built. The range for 5'2 is 109-140 depending once again on your frame. I'm a small frame and weigh 113 but I have a lot of LBM. 105 on me is not healthy nor do I feel I look good. I weighed that once but I did it in a not so great way. Start small and choose a short term goal and go from there. What are your current stats and workouts like?
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    "Too skinny" IMO means you have to eat an unreasonably low number of calories to stay that way, your hair falls out, weak and or dizzy a lot, showing signs of malnutrition, etc. Some people are naturally small and can maintain a lower end weight eating over 2000 calories a day, and are perfectly fit and healthy.
  • cbkb1234
    cbkb1234 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you have a small petite frame, I'd say it's okay if your BMI says it! but just see how 110 looks and then do yoga and start toning , a toned body looks better than a fragile skinny one ! :)
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1 and my goal weight is 120. I think I will drop that to 115 when I get there. I also have large hips and big boobs, so that weight is much more reasonable for me. If you are smaller bodied (smaller hips/lines/breasts, etc), 110 to 105 could be well be a healthy look.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    A lot of what is going to look good for you is going to depend on your bone structure and muscle mass. I'm about 5' 2.5" and 105 would be way too skinny for me because I have a fairly large frame and I'm a bit on the muscular side (thanks, Dad!). At around 115 I start to look skeletal. My mom, on the other hand, is very petite and about 105-110 looks really good on her.

I'd say, shoot for a higher goal at first and see how you look and feel. You can always adjust your goal downward.
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I was always told to pick a goal weight you could live with and maintain long term, you could always be under your goal but every time I went over I really had trouble. Just what worked for me. Good Luck
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Go by body fat percentage and how you actually look. Body weight in and of itself is not what you should be targeting as a goal.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Ask a Doc. They know best.
    But to give an idea, I am 5'5" and weighted 125 to 130lb, the 24st years of my life, Iwas doing Figure skating and my doc was happy with my weight.
    Yet.. we are NOT all made the same way(body).
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Set a goal then adjust as needed as you get closer. Everyone has different factors such as muscle mass and frame size that can make a 105lb woman look very different.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Weight doesn't define how skinny you are, inches do. I was this weight before and significantly larger in the middle because I wasn't lifting weights.
  • Paganrosemama
    Paganrosemama Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'2 with a small frame. For a while I was battling with keeping weight on (years ago). At 95lbs, a size 2 (ten years ago sizing has since changed) I looked like a stick figure- way too skinny. I was always looked healthy at 105-110, and finally had some curves at 115. My current goal is 120-125lbs, once I get there I will see about going to 115 or so...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Maybe try for a body fat % goal rather than a number on a scale
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    youre too skinny when you can see your bones and when you cant run a mile without stopping because you are weak

lolwut?
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Biology lab skeleton skinny.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Maybe try for a body fat % goal rather than a number on a scale
    ^This is what I came in here to say.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    It's only too skinny if you have to starve yourself to get there.

I have a BMI of 18. I love being at this weight, and I am not starving by any means.