Chicken and Roasted Vegetable Lasagna (No Noodles)

Options
meagalayne
meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
I've made this three times now and it's always a resounding success in our house. It takes some planning and I usually roast all the vegetables ahead of time if I want to prepare it for a weeknight meal, but it's worth the effort every once in a while.

Makes 6 huge servings....

For the noodle layers, slice into large "noodle like" pieces the following:
3 red onions
4 bell peppers
1 eggplant, unpeeled
4-5 zucchini, unpeeled (depending on size)

Roast these slices at 425F for 40-45 minutes checking and turning half-way. I also add in about 20 cloves of garlic, because we're mad for it here... Once they are done we store them in tupperware between layers of parchment until we're ready to assemble.

For the cheese and meat layers

Combine in a food processor until smooth -
500g 2% Cottage Cheese 2%
1 whole large egg
2 tsp cornstarch

Then mix with about 200g of spinach, wilted down a bit covered in the microwave.

1lb ground chicken, extra lean
1 cooking onion, chopped
10-12 mushrooms of choice, chopped
1-2 carrots, grated (optional)
1/2 jar (about 1 1/4 cups) spicy pasta sauce (we use Classico but whatever you have)
1/2 28oz can of no salt added diced tomatoes (reserve a little for the bottom of the casserole)
hot pepper flakes, oregano, or other spices to taste

Brown the meat in a large skillet on medium high. Add in onions, carrots, and mushrooms and cook an additional 5 minutes until soft. Add the sauce, tomatoes and any spices and cook down until desired thickness - about 15-20 minutes.

Preheat your oven to 350F or so.
Assemble! Start with a little bit of the tomato mixture to avoid burning on the bottom. Then layer vegetables, meat sauce, cheese/spinach, vegetables, meat sauce, and a final layer of cheese. We use a HUGE casserole and do only 2 thick layers.
Bake uncovered for 30-45 minutes and then let rest for 10 minutes before digging in.

IMG_20130312_193420_zps9ec998d9.jpg

Per serving
312 Calories
7.4g fat
34g carb
32g protein
9g fiber

And it's got over 1000mg potassium! :laugh: Enjoy!

Replies

• littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! Can't wait to try it!
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Bumping to try this. Looks totally awesome and like something my family would actually eat!! Lol
  • lbpslah
    lbpslah Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    THANKS for sharing, this looks right up my alley!! What size is huge for the casserole dish?? DO you think you could use a 9*13 or maybe 2 8X8's and freeze one??
  • dplumbtree
    dplumbtree Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • meagalayne
    Options
    THANKS for sharing, this looks right up my alley!! What size is huge for the casserole dish?? DO you think you could use a 9*13 or maybe 2 8X8's and freeze one??
    We use a really deep 9x13 casserole. An old school white corningwear I think. Got it as a hand me down from mom lol I'd say use the deepest one you've got. Better to have deep slices than spread the layers out too much.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    this looks great Meag. Very similar to the no pasta lasagna I've made in the past but with even more veggies which I like :smile: Going to have a crack at this tomorrow. I've never got ground chicken before though. I'm thinking I'll probably use roo.
  • meagalayne
    Options
    this looks great Meag. Very similar to the no pasta lasagna I've made in the past but with even more veggies which I like :smile: Going to have a crack at this tomorrow. I've never got ground chicken before though. I'm thinking I'll probably use roo.
    I'm sure it'll be great with Roo, Chris! And if I were you, I'd definitely roast a TON of garlic and add in the whole cloves. Sounds weird but trust me - it's delicious.
  • LessFatMoreMuscle
    Options
    Bump
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    That looks pretty damn tasty.
  • mlerand62
    mlerand62 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Oh my, Oh my. I have got to try. Thanks for sharing. Looks delish!
  • ashlielinn
    ashlielinn Posts: 920
    Options
    Bump! This sounds DELICIOUS!
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    bump...mmmmm!
  • kennasgrannie
    kennasgrannie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This sounds and looks great....did you calculate the sodium?
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    yum thanks for sharing!!
  • mindygeske
    mindygeske Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    bump
  • darkheart
    darkheart Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Oh, how I wish we could *like* or *favorite* posts. At least that way I could come back to all the amazing recipes that you all post here! I want to try this. Protein and veggie overload!! YUM!!!
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Sounds good!

(how can it be lasagna without noodles though? lasagna by definition is pasta in a form of broad often ruffled ribbons, it is a type of pasta lol)
  • jjj1988
    jjj1988 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • wendyking1979
    wendyking1979 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • hibirrd
    hibirrd Posts: 4
    Options
    bump