Same old boring steamed vegetables

Options
13»

Replies

• bhawkins0711
    bhawkins0711 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Grilled aspargus is awesome and sauteed cabbage is great too just put a touch of olive oil and salt and pepper and you are good to go. Not sure if you eat sweet potato(not really a veg) but it is great with cajun seasoning to switch things up a bit.

I thought I was the only one who ate sauteed cabbage!!! it is so yummy!

I sauteed cabbage tonight for the first time!! It was amazing!!! Used a little bit of olive oil, fresh cracked pepper, dash of salt, and a few dashes of liquid aminos. It tasted really good!
  • JuliaLee67
    JuliaLee67 Posts: 149
    Options
    I have two veggie recipes.

Baked Asparagus: Rinse and trim a bunch of asparagus, lay it out on a cookie sheet and drizzle with a tablespoon or two of olive oil. Sprinkle on a little black pepper or crushed red pepper, salt if you like, and also if you like, a couple tablespoons of grated parmesean cheese. Bake @ 400 degrees for 12-20 minutes, depending on how crisp-tender you like your asparagus. I find 15 minutes usually does the trick.

Sauteed Brussels Sprouts: wash, trim, and cut in half about a pound of Brussels sprouts. Cut up a couple pieces of turkey bacon into bite-size pieces, sautee the bacon in a skillet until almost done, add the sprouts. Cook them on high for a few minutes until brown on one side (takes about 5-7 minutes for browning to occur), stir well, and cook another few minutes, again, until the level of crisp-tenderness you like has been achieved.
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I grate them into alot of stuff... I make bolognaise sauce and grate as many different veggies in there as I can, even a grated green apple... the kids are clueless! I add extra to lots of things, you barely know they are there, it makes for a nice change.
    I have steamed veggies pretty much everyday for lunch, I dont want them plain for dinner as well.....
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    the varied world of vinegars and oil
  • fatt_boyy_slimm
    Options
    *buimpity bump*
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    Try roasting vegetables - you can roast spaghetti squash and Brussels sprouts, for example. I like to take the sprouts, cut them in half and rub olive oil (lightly) over them. Then I sprinkle seasoning (peppers, minced garlic) and roast them in my oven for about 15 minutes at 400-425 degrees.

You can also cook asparagus in a toaster oven with some light butter and garlic - that is tasty.

Also, salads with fresh, raw veggies is always delicious.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine did something really neat yesterday. Thawed the veggies, tossed it in some olive oil and pepper, and roasted it. Stuck it in the oven for a few minutes. SO. TASTY.
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Roasting different vegetables and playing around with them a bit can lead to some pretty wonderful combinations that are often worlds away from their boiled and steamed selves. A family member used to roast carrots and drizzle in a little honey on when serving, also he often served blanched green beens in a little butter and slithered almonds; so yummy and simple.

I love fresh roasted beetroot, can be used in salads or eaten hot, nice if you add a little balsamic before you put them in the oven (same goes with brussel sprouts). Sweet potato, and regular varieties are lovely with a little cajun or even sometimes a little cayenne powder. Cauliflower gets a delicious, nutty flavour roasted too, I love it that way best.

Asparagus is lovely grilled or on a griddle. I like to throw fresh asparagus and some cherry vine tomatoes into my griddle with a little garlic and let go until it's a little charred here and there, the tomatoes burst and it's a really yummy self saucing kind of thing.

Herbs and spices do wonders; rosemary, parsley and basil are all must haves for me, along with garlic.