30 Day Shred April 20th for Newbies

Options
I know there are some other threads already for the 30 day shred but I find it hard to navigate/find them because they are older or have so many posts. I thought it was a good idea to start a new one for the shred check in for us newbies.
I just did L1D1 this morning and let me tell you- I underestimated it! I watched it the day before to see what it was all about and what it entailed and it looked easy... but not when you do it! I literally became sick to my stomach and had to lay down for a minute and drink water. I didn't have any idea how out of shape I am!
I suggest for beginners, to use 3lb weights for everything but the chest curls. I need to pick some up today because I was dying with the 5lb weights on all but the chest curls. Eventually the 5lb the whole way through will be fine.

Keep shredding!

Replies

• tntrav44
    tntrav44 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Oh man! I alternate between 3 pounds and 5 pounds, depending on the exercise, and I'm on Level 2! I canNOT imagine starting L1D1 with 5 pounds. DANG! Way to go that you even stuck with it! Keep shredding! The results will blow you away! :)
  • bethcpe
    bethcpe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am so glad i saw your post today! I started the Shred this morning and I am already sore! I used 5 lbs weights as well and I am going to the store this afternoon to get 3 lbs. My arm feel like noodles, but I know it is all worth it!
  • PinkKitty724
    PinkKitty724 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am so glad i saw your post today! I started the Shred this morning and I am already sore! I used 5 lbs weights as well and I am going to the store this afternoon to get 3 lbs. My arm feel like noodles, but I know it is all worth it!

Well, it sounds like you got through with the 5lb at least! Great job! I could barely do that.. I was doing like half moves because I simply couldn't lift all the way toward the middle/end. WOW! I had all I could do to wash my hair in the shower.. lol
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I just bought this! I think I am going to start it this weekend. After reading this - I'll make sure I have some 3lb weights : )
    Great job!! Keep it up!!
  • WrittenInRed
    WrittenInRed Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I did L1D1 a month or so ago and I was sore for a few days afterward. Started out with 4lb weights. (Wanted to start with 5lb but they only had 4lb at the store, and boy am I glad they didn't have 5lb!) I immediately gave up because I was so sore the next day. But I am going to give it another shot today!
  • PinkKitty724
    Options
    I did L1D1 a month or so ago and I was sore for a few days afterward. Started out with 4lb weights. (Wanted to start with 5lb but they only had 4lb at the store, and boy am I glad they didn't have 5lb!) I immediately gave up because I was so sore the next day. But I am going to give it another shot today!
    Ohh!! Please don't give up! Being sore the next day is actually a good thing and will go away after a little bit. Feel free to check in here when you decide to give it another shot =:)
  • PinkKitty724
    Options
    Day two on the shred, level 1 with lighter weights for all but chest curls= not as bad as day 1. I actually made it through and didn't feel sick. But, it was hard don't get me wrong. Keep shredding!
  • StephHowwood
    Options
    Hi, I'm new on here. What's the 30 day Shred??
  • bethcpe
    Options
    I did L1D2 today and it was hard because I was so sore but overall it was a little easier because I knew what to expect. If that makes any sense at all. However, I did find myself telling her off more today!!
  • bethcpe
    Options
    It is a workout DVD by Jilliam Michaels (Biggest Loser trainer) that is 20 minutes of cardio, strength and abs. For a 20 minute workout it is extremely intese!
  • PinkKitty724
    Options
    Hi, I'm new on here. What's the 30 day Shred??

It's a circuit training workout dvd by Jillian Michaels. While it looks easy, it isn't! It is a 30-day program with three levels. You can get it for around $9 at Walmart, Target or on ebay or amazon. You will also need 3-5 lb weights (5lb was too much at first so I suggest starting with 3lb) and a yoga type mat if you are doing it on a hard surface.
    I was sore this AM from yesterday AM's workout.. but I still did it. It's quick, sweet and people say they definitely get results!
  • StephHowwood
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I'll look it up!
  • amberlusc
    amberlusc Posts: 22
    Options
    I've just ordered this, but i didnt know you needed weights! What sort of weights like dumbells? or the weights around your wrists? I will buy some tomorrow :)

xxx
  • PinkKitty724
    Options
    I've just ordered this, but i didnt know you needed weights! What sort of weights like dumbells? or the weights around your wrists? I will buy some tomorrow :)

xxx

Hey- sorry I just saw your message. Dumbells are probably best because you go from holding them to not holding to holding them, etc.

I actually have to start again. I stopped after day 2 because I couldn't MOVE! lol.. and now.. it is just too hard for me to wake up early enough to get it in before work. Can we say "slacker"!?!? Good Luck!!!
  • StephHowwood
    Options
    Do you guys know where a good place is to get a set of small barbells? I've been looking around online but don't see anything suitable.
  • chgraham
    chgraham Posts: 122
    Options
    I made it to L1D5 before I had to stop.....I didn't realize how out of shape I am. The reason I had to stop was because of my knees. I have been working on the strength and abs, but I am having trouble with the cardio portion of the Shred. I was not one to exercise, and my weight got out of control. I have been going to the gym to get the cardio portion in, but I think next week, I am going to give it another shot and start back on Day 1.

I found using 2 lbs weights was enough for me and bought mine at Walmart. Those of you using 5 lbs weights - good for you!
  • PinkKitty724
    Options
    Do you guys know where a good place is to get a set of small barbells? I've been looking around online but don't see anything suitable.

I got mine @ Target. The 5lbs were like.. $6 apiece and the 3lbs were like.. $4?? I forgot already but it's around that. TJ Maxx also sells some usually but the selection kinda stinks. You can also get the @ Walmart. They are in the sporting goods sections of Walmart and Target.

Good luck ladies! I hope to get into it this weekend but an unfriendly visitor came so I am not feeling too motivated to exercise.... =;p
  • PinkKitty724
    Options
    Anyone still doing the shred or gave it a shot yet? I have yet to begin again. School keeps me way too busy! I am taking some time off to gather my bearings and plan some of this wedding though. One more week and I will have at least 6 off, so I will do the shred then!
  • PinkKitty724
    Options
    Soooooo.... everyone!? How is the shred going? I have yet to start back up, and I've been somewhat bad lately. Oops. Need to get back on the wagon!
  • kukla63
    kukla63 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi. i am off to Target today and will start the Shred tomorrow. How long do you stay at level one? can't wait to start!