Am I plateauing already?

Options
So, I've only been doing this for around 3 months, but within the first two, I dropped 25lbs.
I know this is not a good way to go, but I wasn't undereating and I was well over 250lbs, so I figured it was just due to the drastic change in my lifestyle and eating choices.

However, I'm now still around 250 and haven't budged! Maybe 1lb in the past month!
I wasn't expecting any huge drops like my first one, but surely at 1,400 calories a day, I'm not actually eating enough to maintain such a huge body (doesn't it take a lot of calories to stay so heavy?)

I'm probably showing my ignorance to all this dieting here, but I'm hitting my weekly target calorie goal about 99% of the time and nothing's happening :(

Replies

• Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer as I haven't done this long enough yet (only 3 weeks so far) but bumping because I'm curious and I hope you get an answer.

The only thing I would add is make sure you are weighing and tracking everything. I know as time goes by it gets easier and easier to think you know amounts...even at 3 weeks I catch myself.
  • 2013Kayla2013
    Options
    well even if you are... you might have to drop your calorie intake cause your body probably got accustom to how much you are eating OR you just need time... weight comes off easy at first and then it becomes harder..
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    I would say 1400 calories is not enough ...... I weigh 226 and I am at 1800 ...I would suggest you up your calories by 200 test it for a month and see what happens
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking correctly? Weighing all foods? measuring all liquids? Are you tracking very little thing you eat or drink? Cream in coffee, mayo on a sandwich, oils used to cook?

Are you exercising? That can cause your muscles to retain water. Are you eating exercise cals back?

1400 may be too low for you. A plateau is no change in weight for 4-6 weeks. Switch things up now and again. Eat more.. change your exercise, exercise longer, at a higher intensity, etc.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    what kind of exercise are you doing?

At some point your body will naturally want to hang onto fat but it should not happen at 200 + pounds...

you could try cycling calories...like on non work days eat less and work out days eat more...

Are you MFP settings or have you calculated TDEE..?
  • erulasse
    erulasse Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I would say 1400 calories is not enough ...... I weigh 226 and I am at 1800 ...I would suggest you up your calories by 200 test it for a month and see what happens

I'm just going by what MFP has told me to eat lol.
    It works out as around 2lbs a week with my TDEE

I track EVERYTHING, right down to sugar in my tea :o
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

a normal range of 'accepted weight loss' is about one pound per week according to lyle mcdonald - www.bodyrecompisition.com - so you might want to change setting to 1pd per week loss. Probably what happened is your body was able to lose at 2lb per week for three months but has now adapted to that and you need to change up to 1b per week...IMO
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    oh okay ... mine is set at 1lb a week
  • erulasse
    erulasse Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It's just really been killing my motivation, being so careful and not shifting anything; I'm gonna try upping my calories and going for a 1lb/week loss for maybe a month or so and see if this helps anything.

Thanks guys!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

I set mine to 1.5 a week and I eat back most of my exercise calories.