Kiss Pork chops good bye?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you could just not fry them.

I eat pork chops all the time and grill them or put them in cast iron skillet with olive oil...

why do we always want to fry everything? LOL
  • neva4saken
    neva4saken Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I actually switched to turkey chops
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if the entry was right. I used the Generic - Pork Chop, Bone-In, Pan Fried, 6 oz, entry. And even that does not know that I used flour. (I did not use that much flour, it's dredging, after all, not breaded.) Anyways, I still have leftovers, so I'll just enjoy it tomorrow, minus the eggplant parm.

Oh, and they were just your run of the mill sized chops. Not behemoth sized.

Soooo....did you actually weigh them before entering it?
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    600 cals? Did you eat the bone too?
  • AlexBoBalex79
    AlexBoBalex79 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'll try not frying next time. I just looked at it's 120 calls a Tbsp, I might have used 1 for the fry. Thanks for the recipes- I'll try some of these others with the next batch.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Or you could make sure you save enough calories, and just enjoy them. Maybe not every night...
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Fat does not make you fat. Carbs make you fat. Lose the flour and those chops are perfect!!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Did you enter your own recipe or just take one from the database? For something like that you really want to enter your own recipe. Pork chops are just fine!
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    i think frying them adds all the calories
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Yes, because it's always a good idea to cut out an entire food...instead of just modifying how it's prepared
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Fat does not make you fat. Carbs make you fat. Lose the flour and those chops are perfect!!

Actually, submerging the chops in oil adds fat exponentially. Carbs are not evil... it's excess of "fill in the blank" that causes you to get fat. In this case, it was the oil that made those chops so calorific.
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Don't give up pork chops. I know fried chops are amazing, my granny made them once in a while when I was a kid. Sometimes smothered with gravy. Try weighing your food and looking at the serving size before you cook it. If you have a high calorie food try to balance it with steamed veggies or a salad (veggies don't have many calories no matter how much you eat). There are also alternatives to frying them. You can bake chops breaded or not. Like a few other people said, try a different cut of chop.

If nothing else, buy a scale. I was over estimating what I was eating before i used a scale.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'll try not frying next time. I just looked at it's 120 calls a Tbsp, I might have used 1 for the fry. Thanks for the recipes- I'll try some of these others with the next batch.

Also, rather than using a generic entry, try using the 'Recipes' feature under the 'Food' tab so that you can calculate your meals more precisely.
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    i think frying them adds all the calories

Found this article on fat added from frying. This is just an exert, but you can read the whole article it you want.

"Even though deep frying requires you to dunk your food into a vat of oil or fat, when done right, the food expels steam rather than absorbs oil. According to the "New York Times," when meat hits 365-degree oil, the sizzling sound is from steam leaving the food. As long as steam is exiting, fat can't get in. Researchers at Singapore Polytechnic School of Chemical and Life Sciences, however, have shown exactly how much fat makes it to your dinner table. In a 2001 study, researchers there analyzed how much fat foods absorb when they're fried. Fried potatoes absorb 2.55 g of fat. Battered fried fish absorbs 4.33 g of fat vs. 7.61 g when breaded. Battered fried chicken absorbs 0.19 g of fat vs. breaded fried chicken, which absorbs 5.8 g of fat. What's important to note is that what you use to coat your food could double, or even triple, the amount of fat and calories absorbed."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/504208-how-many-calories-does-frying-add/#ixzz2NTabfjey
  • AlexBoBalex79
    AlexBoBalex79 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yes, I just pulled the recipe from the database. I'll be better about calculating calories for my own dishes.

Quarol, I'm obviously not cutting out an entire food. Thanks.
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    600 cals? Did you eat the bone too?

lol :laugh:
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    It's probably the flour.. flour is shockingly high in calories.. or the oil.. depending how much you used..

Also.. if you made your own recipe then use the recipe thing on here .. the ones in the database are so vastly different..

did you get lean pork? I buy thin sliced center cut trimmed sirloin pork chops. I love love pork.. I eat it all the time.. I just bought peppered bacon.. mmmm bacon..
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I don't think frying is so bad, either. If you used a Tbsp of oil for two porkchops, that's still at max. an added 60 calories per chop. Plus I think you will see there is still oil in the pan when you've finished frying them. Also, a Tbsp of flour is 28 calories or so, so even if you used 2 Tbsp per pork chop, you're STILL only adding another 60 calories there.

The real variance here is going to come from the pork chop itself. So first, you need an accurate weight, and second, it will depend greatly on the cut. Lean pork is quite low in calories and fat and I happen to prefer it to the fattier cuts.

Pork is definitely one of my favorites. Keep it.
  • Andrew_peter
    Andrew_peter Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Never use oil to fry my chops always found with a non-stick pan the pork has just enough fat to keep from burning if your are careful. Also just add a dash of salt and pepper to season, no need to muck around with flour or shake and bake for taste if you buy decent cuts.

Just fried one up for lunch today. Delicious!

* Usda (Generic) - Pork Loin Rib Chop (Raw - Bone-In), 224 g - 417 calories
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Dont flour them and fry them!?!?!?! Just get put them in the pan...season them and thats it!