I always go over in Protein.

I always go over in the protein category. Is this a big deal? Will is slow my weight loss?

Replies

• stepgonz
    stepgonz Posts: 48 Member
    I do too and it has not affected my weight loss at all
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    This is a GOOD thing! Fibre and protein should always be in the red on MFP, particularly since MFP sets them quite low to begin with.
  • heidihorton
    heidihorton Posts: 110 Member
    I agree, never been a problem with me either
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    I aim for 150 gms of protein a day...and I'm not low-carb either.

So....no, it won't slow your weight loss. MFP's protein goal is very low, especially for those of us who lift. You can customize it if you would like. I aim for 30% of my calories from protein, whereas MFP starts you at 15%, if I remember correctly.
  • currietm
    currietm Posts: 2
    OH awesome thank you! I'm assuming we want to keep salt and sugar in the green though right? I'm starting to realize.... less fruit and more veggies.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    protein feeds your muscles, it's more of something to meet/exceed than something to stay under.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    No.

MFP's protein is too low.

Barring any medical reasons not to you should aim for 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass.

Especially while on a calorie deficit.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    OH awesome thank you! I'm assuming we want to keep salt and sugar in the green though right? I'm starting to realize.... less fruit and more veggies.

Very wise!
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    its not going to slow down your weight loss..
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    I do 120g protein per day, same for carbs. As others have said MFPs settings are low, fine to be over!
  • rubytOU
    rubytOU Posts: 154 Member
    I eat 1.5xwhat I want to weigh in protein daily.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    I always go over in the protein category. Is this a big deal? Will is slow my weight loss?

I have the opposite problem I'm under 1/2 the time.. and yes I even do a protein shake. I'm usually just at 29%, set for 30%.. 50 C, 30 P, 20 F