boredom at the gym - I need a push

Options
I love the gym. I love walking around the indoor track, because it's peaceful to me. I love the machines.

My problem is the treadmill, elliptical, and bike. I'm immediately so bored when doing them I can hardly stand it. It's not enjoyable but feels like a horrid chore I don't want to do.

Because of this I only stay on each 10 minutes and that isn't long enough to get my heart rate going.

Anyone else have this problem? Did you overcome it and if so how?

Any advice is welcome. Thanks

Replies

• 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I personally hate the machines, but 2x a week I do them because they're lower impact. I try to do an hour per workout. I do a 20/20/20 workout: 20 minutes each on the elliptical, step mill and bike or rower. Also, I load up my ipod with good, motivating beat driven music (my top choice is the podrunner podcast). I have a heart rate monitor that counts calories. I don't allow myself to leave until I hit at least 400-500 calories. Interval training on the machines is a faster way to torch calories and helps pass the time.

The other days of the week I mix it up with running, kickboxing, spinning and weight lifting. Variety is the key for me. Maybe you could try some new classes. Personally, I draw energy from other people in group fitness classes and find it much easier to work harder.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Find something you enjoy. Take a class, join a team, walk faster on the track.
  • jade2112
    jade2112 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start yoga this coming Monday. I have to ask if I'm supposed to come to both during the week and if I still do the cardio and machines on those days.

I'm simply going to have to make myself stay on each machine for at least 15. I've got to approach it in a different way, I know that. I actually feel a bit angry when I'm doing the cardio.

Thank you for your advice I'm going to take it seriously.
  • taelardinois
    taelardinois Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. Do something you do enjoy instead. I don't run because its boring (and my hamstrings are so tight you bounce a quarter off of them... Running hurts). So I do the arc trainer, dance, and go hiking because I enjoy it. Do whatever it is that you will stick to and actually do.
  • jade2112
    Options
    Don't do it. Do something you do enjoy instead. I don't run because its boring (and my hamstrings are so tight you bounce a quarter off of them... Running hurts). So I do the arc trainer, dance, and go hiking because I enjoy it. Do whatever it is that you will stick to and actually do.

I have thought about walking three miles on the track instead. I'll probably ask my trainer what she thinks when I see her next Monday.
  • DorisInTheDena
    DorisInTheDena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Great workout music works for me! I buy new stuff every month or so and load it onto my Ipod. It's worth the extra money and it keeps me motivated. Just a suggestion! :smile:
  • jade2112
    Options
    Great workout music works for me! I buy new stuff every month or so and load it onto my Ipod. It's worth the extra money and it keeps me motivated. Just a suggestion! :smile:

I think I'm going to have to invest in an iPod.
  • sarled26
    sarled26 Posts: 7
    Options
    There is a app called Zombies Run. It is about this town trying to rebuild . It gives you missions to run and collect stuff for the town and at the same time be chased by zombies. You can run or walk. It goes between story line then a song. You can use your own playlist. It tracks your time, distance, pace, and has GPS. It has a website so you can sync and share run/walks. I found this on itunes and I love this app. I hope this helps!!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    The weather here is starting to get really nice. Maybe take it outside for a nice long walk/ run. There are many FREE APPS that track distance and time and speed.