Decent (Afordable) Heart Rate Monitors

Options
Hey everyone.

I've been pretty good about exercising recently and I'd really like to get a heart rate monitor to judge my calories burned a bit more precisely, so I know a closer figure. I've been looking online and I can't really afford to buy one of the ones that I see have good ratings (on Amazon, for instance).

Ideally, I'd love to find something that works well for less than $40 or so. Does anyone have one they could recommend, or will it really just make a difference to save up and get a more expensive one?

Thanks!

Replies

• ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I'm saving to get a better one. I was told you lose accuracy with less expensive ones. Hopefully someone has a different opinion because I really want one.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money, you have no need for one right now. I have one, I used it for a couple months, but now it sits on my dresser collecting dust.

I would send you my Polar if I could. A waste of $100. I mean, it does what it is supposed to do, but it's just not necessary for weight loss. Use the MFP numbers, or if you have want go to three different websites and average the numbers. They all use about the same algorithms.

I just use a flat 300 calories for an hour of exercise. Unless you are in training for some type of marathon or triathalon, where you are training for three hours a day, just use the websites.

Here read this.....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

Thinking that I can control the exact number of calories I eat or the exact number I use in exercise is futile. It makes me miserable to have to try to be that precise, and it's not necessary.

Save your $$$