Looking for other 20-something year olds!

Options
Hey everyone! I'm 22, and I joined this site a few days ago, and so far I'm really loving the community. The support here is something I just don't have at home: You could say I was raised to have an unhealthy relationship with food. My mother has a weight-loss and exercise addiction (always cutting meals, eating less than a thousand calories a day, and spending hours at the gym) and doesn't approve of a "slow and steady" method of weight loss. So honestly, I'm glad I have you guys to cheer me on!

As for myself, I've been dealing with binge-eating disorder since my freshman year of high school. There was a time when I'd sit down and eat an entire Digornio pizza and box of Little Debbie's cosmic brownies by myself, usually after I was upset or stressed, then I'd be angry and stressed that I binged, and... Well, you can see what a vicious cycle it was! Thankfully, it's been months since my last binge, and I'm finally ready to make a lifestyle change.

Right now, I'm sitting at about 165 pounds, and my goal weight is around the 120's. I lost six pounds before coming to this site, and this place has me really excited about getting active and eating better. Nowadays, I'm actually excited to go to the gym, whereas before I hated it and felt ashamed simply to go in.

Basically, just looking to make some friends and find some people to buddy up with! :D Thanks for reading!

Replies

• takahiroki
    takahiroki Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hey there! It sounds like you've really made progress though, glad to hear it!
    Feel free to add me, I'm 20 [21 in a couple weeks] and about 170, goal weight being 145, so I too have a ways to go!
    But you'll definitely love this site, tons of information and support for healthy weight loss!
    Good luck! <3
  • mem618
    mem618 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey!
    I'm a 23 year old female. I've been using this site for a long time (about a year) but a few weeks ago I decided to crack down and get serious about it.
    I understand about not having support at home omaisilver but my situation at home sounds quite opposite from yours. My parents both love to eat, especially sweets, and have the whole "food is love" mentality. Growing up I had a hard time making healthy choices and at my heaviest (in high school) was close to 200 lbs (I'm 5'8").
    After I moved out of my parents house, about 4 years ago, I gradually started losing weight and got down to about 150. I have fluctuated between 150 and 145 for the past two years. I am aiming for around 130 (as of right now I'm at 143).
    Good luck with your weight loss and congrats on your success so far!
    The hardest part is being motivated and committed (for me anyways) but it feels so great once you start to see results!!