Want to avoid sugar low

Options
I am used to drinking 5 sodas per day and have gone 5 days without. I keep getting sugar lows which are fixed quickly with a sugar water which is 1/2 of the amount of sugar in a soda. I can feel my body balancing itself out but the first few days were horrible. I am still over the recommended amount of sugar per day by 6 times but it is still a huge improvement from before. Is it better to go cold turkey down to recommended amount or gradually?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. Whichever way works for you.
  • nicmcgoo
    nicmcgoo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I recently quit my pepsi habit (9 days ago) I quit cold turkey the first few days I would allow myself to be super high in my sugars and will eventually cut down but for now its the only way I could keep the headaches away! Good job on quiting!!!!
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Wow, what is this? Have you done research? You are saying you are basically addicted to sugar, right?

If it was me, I would go cold turkey and suffer the discomfort. It's not a REAL sugar low, where your body literally does not have enough glycogen to fuel basic functions, so it's safe to do so. That much sugar cannot be good for you, even if you are only taking in half the amount you used to.
  • Shawnnelson4523
    Options
    Mu sugar lows get pretty bad sometimes. Sweating, dizzy, shakes, and loss of clear vision.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    My advice would be halve your sugar intake each day, progressively, over 7 days until on day 8 you have none at all.

I used to be hypoglycaemic, too and cured myself (after 17 years of suffering) by going zero sugar.