Not seeing any progress

Options
I started the 30 DS and 9 days a go and I'm getting a little frustrated but don't know if I should give it more time or not before going onto the next level. I thought by now I would be able to get through the cardio no problem but I actually feel like I'm stopping more now then when I first started because my legs and knee still hurt.

In a previous post about my knee it's still not getting any better. I'm finding with the cardio part expect the squat and punches and I can't seem to get through because of the sharp pain that goes through my legs when I do these exercises. Don't get me wrong I do see improvement in some areas but other areas I'm not.

Any suggestions on what I can do in order to get through the whole 30 seconds to a minute of cardio. I do push myself but at the same time I'm in too much pain. Am I landing wrong when doing a jumping jack and the skip rope in one spot. I know someone suggested the right pair of shoes to help with my knee and some knee stretches but that doesn't seem to help.

When I get frustrated I stop and that's not what I want to do. Should I stick with level one for a bit longer or try and go to level two?

Replies

• maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Do NOT push yourself through the pain. That is how you make injuries worse and you will end up sabotaging your exercise routine and damaging your body. There are a lot of exercises you can do that don't involve jumping jacks and skipping rope!
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Have you tried walking in place or just keep moving until they change exercises. I agree with Maryd don't push yourself thru, you may end up with injuries.
  • AncientLullaby_
    Options
    Pick an exercise that you enjoy doing like swimming, running, dancing or anything which is not stressful. Just challenge yourself, listen to your body and give it time... Patience is the key. Don't push yourself through those kind of pain, that's how you end up being seriously hurt and not exercising at all.
  • Resa52
    Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Are you resting? Jillian actually recommends this program be done two days of shred, one day of cardio, two days of shred, one day of cardio, REST DAY, then repeat.

I march through any cardio that I struggle with. I don't expect to be able to do everything 100% before I move on either, just that I'm able to do at least 80% of the moves.
  • Annimack2
    Annimack2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I suggested the elliptical in my other post and someone said keep with the program but I might just do the elliptical for 2 mins instead. I don't want to hurt myself either. I'm just thinking that I'm coming down on my knees to hard. I've always had issues with shin splints and that's why I've never been able to run on a treadmill and heard that ellipticals are a little better for that problem.
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    try speed walking or Zumba fitness
  • NHoughton13
    NHoughton13 Posts: 303
    Options
    I have problems with my knees during 30DS also. I just modify some of the moves during the ones I can't do. Don't beat yourself up about not being able to complete a DVD. Who cares? You're doing more than you probably were before. Be proud you are up off the couch doing something....no matter what it is!!
  • onandoff
    onandoff Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    There isn't much warmup for the knees/ankles in the 30ds. Jillian actually does some warmup exercise for the knees AFTER the first jumping jacks... So make sure you warm up well before cause the jumps are no joke.
  • Annimack2
    Annimack2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to try something different all together during her cardio. My knee is really hurting this morning. What kind of cardio is in the second level?
  • onandoff
    onandoff Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to try something different all together during her cardio. My knee is really hurting this morning. What kind of cardio is in the second level?

Cardio is pretty much the same all levels: jumping jacks, high knees, jumping rope, skater, twisted jumps (a lot of jumps in the cardio).
    Do not stress your knees with jumps if your problem persists. Try to take it slower (maybe jogg in place) and give them few days of rest. It's better to have a break than get an injury. I too had some knees issues when first starting the shredd (but only when doing the jumps, not the day after). I added better warmup and it helped. I hope it will be ok for you too with a little rest.