Afternoon snack help, please!

Options
goldiejoe
goldiejoe Posts: 121 Member
MFP friends, I need your help! Some days I get really hungry in the afternoon. Solved my problem by keeping a pack of Nature Valley Chewy Trail Mix, Variety Pack of Dark Chocolate & Nut and Fruit & Nut bars in my desk. If I get that nagging hungry feeling about 4 p.m., I'll have one of these and a bottle of water. They are only 140 calories each, and they take the edge of my hunger so I can make it till supper time. The problem is, I've consumed a whole box and now I'm bored of them. Can you recommend another similar product, healthy but feels naughty, keeps without refrigeration, and relatively inexpensive (These were $4.95 for a box of 12) Thanks, I'm looking forward to your answers. 61RSwYTSvBL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Replies

• TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    bananas, walnuts, apples, pecans, almonds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, and radishes.
  • koko12
    koko12 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt with some nuts and fruit
  • chrisjathompson
    chrisjathompson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    A bag of popcorn
  • ChristiSykes
    ChristiSykes Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I always have a small handful of almonds or T. of PB w/ a glass of water. Bananas are filling too. Protein shakes keep me full though so I don't feel hungry very often...
  • Velecia42
    Options
    MY HUSBAND LOVE EATTING CHIP. THE CRUCH DRIVE ME CRAZZY SO I PUT SOME SLICED APPLES, CARROTS STICK AND A FEW RAISIN IN A BAG NOW I CAN CRUCH WITH HIM AND IT HEALTH ITS ....THE BEST PART IS i STAY FULL TILL BED TIME
  • corchy23
    corchy23 Posts: 41
    Options
    Are you bored with granola type bars in general, or just that brand / flavor? If it's just that brand/type then I think there are lots of filling ones out there for 140 calories, and in some cases less! I can't remember any brand names right off the top of my head but I know I enjoy the ones that come with a yogurt like icing on the bottom...and I think Quaker even has one that's dipped in chocolate that's good (though it might not be filling enough to tide a busy person over until dinner since I think it's smaller to compensate for the chocolate coating) I think Fiber One brand has a lot of good low calorie bars that taste like they would be cheating since they're so sweet or chocolatey....they might also be the brand that carries the 90 calorie brownies.

Or since it seems like from that bar you like trail mix type things, maybe try a store bought baggie of trail mix...or to make it even less boring create your own? That way you control how many calories / what goes in it...and you can change up the ingredients every few days so you won't get bored!
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i'm a teacher and so i keep things in my cupboard at work for just this occasion when i'm starving out of my non-contact sessions etc.

I have cassava chips, rice crackers, mini packs of raisins, roasted seaweed, low cal muesli bars, lunchbox packs of nuts, dried fruit and chocolate mixed together and candy (teachers always have candy) in my cupboard and bring in fruit and yoghurt every day too.
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    nuts , seeds, fruit,
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    My afternoon snack is a 60 calorie Jack Links beef jerky & 60 calorie reduced fat cheddar cheese stick. Full of protein so its filling & I think its yummy :)
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    My afternoon snack is a 60 calorie Jack Links beef jerky & 60 calorie reduced fat cheddar cheese stick. Full of protein so its filling & I think its yummy :)

mmm jerky. i like kangaroo jerky too.
  • VegasOokami
    VegasOokami Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My work keeps me busy and thankfully we have a gym on site so I can understand the pain it is to make those healthy choices while working. One of the things that's worked for me is taking a med-large navel orange and splitting it between my first and last break of the day. This helps me to control my hunger pangs and its a good addition of fruit to your diet at only about 80 calories.
  • lindagaguilar
    Options
    hummus and carrot sticks
  • wisconsinboogie
    wisconsinboogie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Protein bars.
  • goldiejoe
    goldiejoe Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Read all of your responses, thanks so much! Actually I don't snack at my desk every day, and there is no refrigerator available, so I really prefer a prepackaged item similar to the one I sited. Do you have any specific brand name and item to recommend?

This should be a boxed item that I can put in the file drawer and use as needed :)
  • koko12
    koko12 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    promax protein bars are good (the low sugar ones) quest protein bars. also dried fruit and nuts or rice cakes and a nut butter
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Actually, none of those bars is really a healthy choice. How many ingredients are there that you can't pronounce? I eat string cheese, strawberries,, trail mix, almonds, salted, baked green beans, a small square of fresh coconut, clementines, whole grain crackers with a bit of Nutella, a fresh sliced tomato with salt. Those are all yummy and nutritious.

I used to eat so,e of those bars. They made my ravenous in about half an hour.