Seeking guidance on foods and portions while on holiday

Options
I'm heading to the southwest United States (Arizona, New Mexico and Texas) for two weeks and I'm really worried that the last three months of work are going to be undone. Possibly by my (lack of) willpower, but more likely due to lack of access to working out (it's a 1500-mile road trip, and we will be hiking, but not enough, I assume, to make a significant difference) and an excess of good food.

I am NOT trying to be disrespectful--I'm posting from a genuine place of ignorance--but I've heard that American portion sizes are about three times larger than required or needed, and that, in the southwest especially, most foods are fried and slathered in sauces.

Can anyone give me some guidance on how to avoid eating thousands upon thousands of calories while traveling? And, if anyone's from the southwest US, any helpful hints on hidden landmines in regional foods, and--alternatively--some healthy regional choices, would be so appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Will you be staying in motels? Make sure you get one with fitness equipment or if you are a gym member, check to see if you gym honors other location. YMCA has their away program, check to see if there are locations near where you will be staying and maybe sign up with your local one for a month. If you enjoy swimming, a pool that you can do laps in. Next, as far as eating goes, when you land, head to the nearest store and pick up a small cooler. The one we used was 18 qt, and some disposable containers and silverware. If you are at a motel with breakfast, choose the oatmeal and milk. Add a piece of fruit or maybe a container of yogurt. For lunch, you get to "cook". You can be creative with tuna salad, sandwiches, and baby carrots and celery for the crunch factor. Or, check other items that will have the same yield and fit into your cooler. Beverage of couse can be water. You will not want to purchase too much, as you will want to have room in your cooler for ice. Plus, no need to purchase much as the store is right there. Supper, you could try a microwaveable entree, or go out at your favorite restaraunt which has calories listed on their website or menu. It can be done. It does require a little thought. Good luck and enjoy your vacation.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It only takes an hour or two of hiking to make up for an hour in the gym!

As for fried with sauce, I think you are thinking of the South, not the southwest. You will have access to lots of grilled meat, sauces will tend to be vegetable based, like green chile sauce in New Mexici - it isn't the season, but you are bound to find some that was canned up.

Mostly, just watch your portion sizes, but be sure to try the local cuisine.
  • browneyes97
    Options
    Drink lots of water, eat lots of fruit and veggies and lean proteins. Sirloin steak is less calories than say, a Tbone. Skip the rice and potatoes and get a side of veggies instead. I agree with the poster who said stop at the store. Stock up on some nuts, dried fruit, pretzels or other healthy snacks.