Caloric Deficit?

Options
This may seem like a silly question.....I have read and read so many posts about "caloric deficit". So if I have my calories set at 1500-1700 calories...does this mean I need to do that much in exercise to lose weight? But yet, some people say to eat back exercise calories...I read the road map post and my TDEE (sp?) is 2630 calories....so i figured 30% and that is right around 1800 calories. Then I start reading about this caloric deficit....lol...I know this is all over the place so I hope someone can figure out my ramblings,

Side note...I have been on this journey since January 26 and have lost 25lbs by just logging calories (my diary is open) and exercising..I just dont want to plateau because I am doing this wrong.

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Just another term for burning more calories through whatever means (including BMR) than you take in. If your TDEE is 2630 and you're eating less than that... you're at a caloric deficit.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    If you eat based off of your TDEE you do not need to eat back your exercise calories. TDEE has your activity level already factored in.
  • jessvaughn74
    jessvaughn74 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Just another term for burning more calories through whatever means (including BMR) than you take in. If your TDEE is 2630 and you're eating less than that... you're at a caloric deficit.

Thank you! Its funny that you gave this answer as it was one of your posts that gave me the question in the first place. I also read your 365 day post...amazing...congratulations and thanks again for the advice!
  • trogalicious
    Options

Thank you! Its funny that you gave this answer as it was one of your posts that gave me the question in the first place. I also read your 365 day post...amazing...congratulations and thanks again for the advice!
    :) thanks.
  • jessvaughn74
    Options
    If you eat based off of your TDEE you do not need to eat back your exercise calories. TDEE has your activity level already factored in.

Thank you...this makes total sense and should have been obvious to me...it is so hard when you read so many confilcting posts on here. But i know that is expected as everyone is different and everyones bodies are different. I just appreciate the support and motivation that is given on MFP. Thanks again!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    You are ok, keep doing what you are doing. If you set MFP to lose X lbs per week, then meet that goal and eat back probably about half to 3/4 of your exercise calories (to account for inaccuracy if nothing else). You will do fine. the calorie deficit is factored into your calorie recommendations.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options

I just had this explained in another thread by a personal trainer. And this quote above is what he said.
  • dannerchick
    Options
    Whats tdee
  • dannerchick
    Options
    Im completly confused also, my daily calorie goal is 1200 I burn aprox 300 to 500 daily at the gym when I log my exercise in it gives me more calories to eat? Do I eat or not ? I was thinking Im not consuming enough calories if I burn 500 of my 1200 my body is ony getting 700 calories a day. Wont my body go into starvation mode... Please help:huh:
  • AncientLullaby_
    Options
  • inchcafe
    inchcafe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It's how many calories your body uses in a day to do everything you do from sleeping, eating, digesting, exercising, moving at all, etc.
  • dannerchick
    Options
    Oh ok:-) thank u
  • inchcafe
    Options
    Im completly confused also, my daily calorie goal is 1200 I burn aprox 300 to 500 daily at the gym when I log my exercise in it gives me more calories to eat? Do I eat or not ? I was thinking Im not consuming enough calories if I burn 500 of my 1200 my body is ony getting 700 calories a day. Wont my body go into starvation mode... Please help:huh:

Yes, you would then eat 1500-1700 calories on the days you burn that much at the gym. 1200 is your goal without exercise.

MFP calculations are not the same as TDEE. Many people on here choose one or the other.
  • dannerchick
    Options
    ho
  • dannerchick
    Options
    how do i figure out my tdee
  • dannerchick
    Options
    sorry about the ho, lol i was typing and i ccidently hit enter before I was done
  • trogalicious
    Options

Yes, you would then eat 1500-1800 calories on the days you burn that much at the gym. 1200 is your goal without exercise.

MFP calculations are not the same as TDEE. Many people on here choose one or the other.

Not exactly. Also, why should this person be eating 1200 calories? According to?

See.. the TDEE method counts in calories from working out.... AND BMR. MFP is based on the same calculations. It isn't that you're choosing to eat a different amount. If you use MFP AS IT IS DESIGNED, you'll eat about the same amount as you would if you set your custom goals based on TDEE.
  • inchcafe
    Options

Not exactly. Also, why should this person be eating 1200 calories? According to?

See.. the TDEE method counts in calories from working out.... AND BMR. MFP is based on the same calculations. It isn't that you're choosing to eat a different amount. If you use MFP AS IT IS DESIGNED, you'll eat about the same amount as you would if you set your custom goals based on TDEE.

This person would eat 1200 calories if that is their goal (my education in nutrition classes would give reason to believe that's unlikely a reasonable goal, but considering I have no background information including activity level, age, weight, height, etc., I'm not about to go off on that topic.)

MFP and TDEE are similar but not identical. Unless you manipulate all of your goals for specific calculations, the generic "goal to lose 2lb/wk" in MFP will not equal the calories set by TDEE. They may be close, but if the target caloric intake is only 1200, being off by a little can make a big difference over time.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Unless you manipulate all of your goals for specific calculations, the generic "goal to lose 2lb/wk" in MFP will not equal the calories set by TDEE. They may be close, but if the target caloric intake is only 1200, being off by a little can make a big difference over time.
    Which is why I specifically mentioned using MFP as it is designed. Someone with 10 lbs to lose that sets 2 lb / week isn't going to get an accurate goal from MFP. Calculations from MFP vs TDEE as goal weight approaches (and even further out) has never been further apart than 5% of intake from what I've noticed over the last year.
  • jessvaughn74
    Options
    On kind of the same subject...macros...I have never heard of them until I found MFP. Before I realized you could manually set up your goals MFP set mine at.. 55% carb..15% protein and 30% fat. That seemed like such a low % for protein and high fat so I set mine at 40% carb..40% protein and 20% fat. Are these good numbers? Also fiber was set to 16g and that seemed low so I changed it to 25g.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks again to all of you that are so kind to answer and help!