St. Patrick's Day

Options
clarkeje1
clarkeje1 Posts: 1,627 Member
Anyone have any st. patrick's day or irish recipes? I would like to make some festive food while i get plastered on sunday :)

Replies

• lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    personally no, but if you check out food.com they have a section of st patricks day recipes, im sure you will find one in there you would like to try
  • clarkeje1
    Options
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Beer

Whiskey
  • Aepek
    Aepek Posts: 15
    Options
    Beer

Whiskey

Don't forget potatos ;-)
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    Take a small shot glass and carefully layer creme de menthe, baileys and southern comfort in that order.
    Tricolour shot and it's surprisingly tasty.

Altenatively throw some minced beef, potatoes, sausages, carrots, onions, spring onions and steak pieces in a big pot, top up with some water and some stock, let it cook on a very low heat for about 5 hours and serve in a bowl with a nice crusty bread and real butter. Proper Irish Stew.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    green dye,,,, put it in everything that day, heee..
  • clarkeje1
    Options
    Take a small shot glass and carefully layer creme de menthe, baileys and southern comfort in that order.
    Tricolour shot and it's surprisingly tasty.

Altenatively throw some minced beef, potatoes, sausages, carrots, onions, spring onions and steak pieces in a big pot, top up with some water and some stock, let it cook on a very low heat for about 5 hours and serve in a bowl with a nice crusty bread and real butter. Proper Irish Stew.

thanks!
  • Bigmitch41
    Bigmitch41 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
  • clarkeje1
    Options

those look good
  • BigDougie1211
    Options
    The bonus there is, I am actually Irish in Ireland, so I can guarantee authenticity.
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    This isn't my mother's recipe, but Irish Soda Bread is a must with your corned beef and cabbage (one of two things I've missed in twenty years of not eating meat :sad: ).

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/irish-soda-bread-recipe/index.html
  • clarkeje1
    Options
    The bonus there is, I am actually Irish in Ireland, so I can guarantee authenticity.

I'm impressed :) I'm 1/4 Irish heritage, American.
  • BigDougie1211
    Options
    This isn't my mother's recipe, but Irish Soda Bread is a must with your corned beef and cabbage (one of two things I've missed in twenty years of not eating meat :sad: ).

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/irish-soda-bread-recipe/index.html

Soda bread is God's way of making up for TV Talent shows. Fantastic. Have it toasted and buttered with a fried egg on top.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    alcohol :) the key to all great Irish parties.... wiskey, beer, irish coffees ect ......
    food wise Irish stew, Guinness stews and pies, soda bread, cottage pies, scones (not an american scone proper sweet ones full o cherries or whatever)
  • nataliescalories
    Options
    Oh and...I have no idea if this is specifically Irish, but it is another one of my mother's favorites: Creamed Eggs on Toast.

I Googled it and found this, but my mom's has peas in it. http://www.littlemissmomma.com/2011/11/creamed-eggs-over-toast-recipe-holy-cow.html

You will have died and gone to heaven. It will save your hangover. Here is a recent pic of how to do it right (yeah, I baked that bread from scratch... :blushing:).

8557228314_278ef707d6.jpg
    IMG_1790 by LaNatalie, on Flickr

8557229112_2dbaa69dec.jpg
    IMG_1791 by LaNatalie, on Flickr

8556118541_0a748ac507.jpg
    IMG_1576 by LaNatalie, on Flickr
  • SkyPixie
    SkyPixie Posts: 224
    Options
    If you want trad Irish you need to be eating boiled bacon with the cabbage not corned beef !!

Boil the bacon .. then boil the cabbage in the bacon water and if you're brave enough drink the water afterwards like we had to as kids !

Don't forget the spuds .. boiled of course !

This is how we had it at home every week and my parents and family are from Galway.
  • nataliescalories
    Options
    If you want trad Irish you need to be eating boiled bacon with the cabbage not corned beef !!

Boil the bacon .. then boil the cabbage in the bacon water and if you're brave enough drink the water afterwards like we had to as kids !

This is how we had it at home every week and my parents and family are from Galway.

I wouldn't say bacon is more traditional. Corned beef was just a delicacy that the British sucked out of Ireland.
    "The appearance of corned beef in Irish cuisine dates to the 12th century in the poem Aislinge Meic Con Glinne or The Vision of MacConglinne.[17] Within the text, it is described as a delicacy a king uses to purge himself of the "demon of gluttony". Cattle, valued as a bartering tool, were only eaten when no longer able to provide milk or to work. The corned beef as described in this text was a rare and valued dish, given the value and position of cattle within the culture, as well as the expense of salt, and was unrelated to the corned beef eaten today.[8]

During the time of the Great Frost, a particularly cold spring drought in 1740 made it difficult to raise enough cattle for food or work. Many cattle in the south of Ireland died amid the harsh weather conditions. Cattle that survived and were suitable for food were exported to England"

"8th-century Atlantic trade
    Although the practice of curing beef was found locally in many cultures, the industrial production of corned beef started in the English Industrial Revolution. Irish corned beef was used and traded extensively from the 17th century to the mid 19th century for English civilian consumption and as provisions for the British naval fleets and North American armies due to its non-perishable nature.[3] The product was also traded to the French for use in Caribbean sugar plantations as sustenance for the colonist and the slave laborers. [4] The 17th-century English and Irish industrial processes for corned beef did not distinguish between different cuts of beef beyond the tough and undesirable parts such as the beef necks and shanks.[4][5] Rather, the grading was done by the weight of the cattle into "small beef", "cargo beef", and "best mess beef", the former being the worst and the latter the best.[4] Much of the undesirable portions and lower grades were traded to the French, while better parts were saved for English consumption or shipped to English colonies.[4]

Ireland produced a significant amount of the corned beef in the Atlantic trade from local cattle and salt imported from the Iberian Peninsula and southwestern France.[4] Coastal cities, such as Dublin, Belfast, and Cork, created vast beef curing and packing industries, with Cork producing half of Ireland's annual beef exports in 1668.[5] Although the production and trade of corned beef as a commodity was a source of great wealth for the colonial nations of England and France (who were participating in the Atlantic slave trade), in the colonies themselves the product was looked upon with disdain due to its association with poverty and slavery.[4]

Increasing corned beef production to satisfy the rising populations of the industrialised areas of Great Britain and Atlantic trade worsened the effects of the Irish Famine and the Great Potato Famine:

The Celtic grazing lands of...Ireland had been used to pasture cows for centuries. The British colonized...the Irish, transforming much of their countryside into an extended grazing land to raise cattle for a hungry consumer market at home...The British taste for beef had a devastating impact on the impoverished and disenfranchised people of...Ireland. Pushed off the best pasture land and forced to farm smaller plots of marginal land, the Irish turned to the potato, a crop that could be grown abundantly in less favorable soil. Eventually, cows took over much of Ireland, leaving the native population virtually dependent on the potato for survival.
    —Jeremy Rifkin, Beyond Beef[6]
    Despite being a major producer of beef, most of the people of Ireland during this period consumed little of the meat produced, in either fresh or salted form, due to its prohibitive cost. This was because most of the farms and its produce were owned by wealthy English landlords and that most of the population were from families of poor tenant farmers, and that most of the corned beef was exported.

The lack of beef or corned beef in the Irish diet is especially true in Northern Ireland and areas away from the major centres for corned beef production. However, individuals living in these production centres such as Cork did consume the product to a certain extent. The majority of Irish that resided in Ireland at the time mainly consumed dairy and meats such as pork or salt pork.[5]"
  • SkyPixie
    SkyPixie Posts: 224
    Options

I wouldn't say bacon is more traditional. Corned beef was just a delicacy that the British sucked out of Ireland.

Yep well that would account for why most Irish families would likely not be eating corned beef !!

I have never yet met anyone within my family and friends who would eat anything other than bacon with cabbage ... so start boiling and don't forget to drink the water :laugh:
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Corned beef wasn't a delicacy, it was cheap!

Lots of good recipes on Pinterest. I hate corned beef, so we're doing prime rib. I'm also doing Guinness Beef Stew, and Irish Car Bombs for shots. Other people will bring other stuff.
  • BakingMadGymAddict
    Options
    I made a Guiness Milkshake once! I took a photo but I'm not sure how to post it on the message board x