Scared of Stairmaster

Options
I'm super scared that once I get on the stairmaster that the belt will break because it can't hold my weight. I'm 350 and I'm just wondering if there's a weight limit? Should I try it? or wait until I lose 50 pounds? it is one of those stairmasters that has a belt instead of those fancy stair cases. Maybe its not a belt? It looks like this

http://www.amazon.com/StairMaster-SC916-Stepper/dp/B001S7DQDC/ref=sr_1_7?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1363263152&sr=1-7

And that as a 300 weight limit
I'm just getting bored of doing bikes, elliptical, and treadmill and I want to challenge myself with rowing and stairmaster. But I'm just worried it might break :S

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Ask the trainer at the gym if there's a weight limit. I know it's embarassing, but if the one you linked is like it and there's a weight limit, then I'd stay away for now. Perhaps use that as a "goal" of sorts. work harder on your walking, get your diet in check and lose that 50 pounds to be able to use the stair machine. And, if you'[re really bored, go find some real stairs! There's no weight limit there! Perhaps you could use a local school's football stadium and go up and down?
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest you check with the gym to see if there is a weight limit. Here are some suggestions to keep your workouts from becoming boring. Hopefully you have an ipod or mp3 player to play some music while you workout. It makes such a difference. I have listened to Kathy Smith's walking tapes for years and never seem to get tired of them. Here are some of the ones I have:Lean Walk 1, 2 & 3; Pump up the Pace, Walk Fit 1 & 2; Weight Loss 1 & 2; They are for walking but work great on the treadmill.
    There are lots of other workout tapes as well. Also Shape Magazine usually has a treadmill workout every month.I sometimes follow them and a 30 minute workout is done in no time.I hope this helps! Good luck and keep up the hard work!
  • Jo4applerose
    Jo4applerose Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Find out the name brand of the machine then google it for the contact info. Call the company and ask them the weight limit.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Ask at the gym, or get the specific model and look it up.
    Gyms usually buy machines that are more robust than what you see for home use. I think your odds are good.

Also, good on ya for wanting to get on one. They're good, hard work.