Zumba...Looking for ways to decrease knee pain.

Options
Hi there. I am 34, and am in overall good health minus the fact of being overweight which I am working on correcting (Down 20lbs in 6 weeks) I have been doing Zumba at home via the Wii approx. 4x per week and it is killing my knees. I have never had any knee problems in the past so I am assuming that it has a lot to do with all the twisting and turning you do in Zumba. If I don't find some relief I don't know how much longer I will be able to Zumba and that really saddens me because I love it and I burn about 600-650 calories in a 45-50 minute workout. My living room is hardword and I wear Nike Shox. If anyone out there has any suggestions on something that I can change or do that might make doing Zumba a little bit easier on my knees I would greatly appreciate it.

Replies

• jhodge051907
    Options
    They make things called carpet dancers, to slip on your shoes. as the name implies its for carpets, but, might help you with your knees if your shoes are maybe sticking to your hardwood floor when you're twisting and sliding. i do zumba for xbox at home on the carpet, but i just do it in my socks because it was easier to move than using shoes. i have a knee injury from 12+ years ago that still acts up and i have arthritis in the same knee, and using socks makes my knee hurt much less. when it does hurt, i take motrin, and my knee feels better.